The Gasoline Blues

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed lots of long lines at gas stations today, people are anticipating price hikes and shortages due to Ike. I heard someone on the radio say this "panic" was mostly consumer-driven; prices may go up for awhile, but that there were no significant shortages anticipated.

The big panic here last Friday was apparently due in part to a leaked email from a local government employee that said there was "sure to be a major shortage". By Friday night pretty much every place was sold out, and here it is Thursday and STILL most places that sell gas are STILL OUT. So yes, there does seem to be a shortage, but it was caused by local people panicking and hoarding, not because of any hurricane issues. It's totally bizarre.

I had plenty of gas in the tank last Friday and thought it seemed unnecessary to wait in those looooong lines, but I also thought for sure things would be back to normal by now, almost a week later. This seemed to be a fairly local anomaly, not as much of an issue elsewhere in the state. There is some gas around, but people have had to search for it, sometimes driving way out of town.

Amazing how little it takes to throw things into total chaos! Lemmings over the cliff.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the good part of the economy tanking is gas prices are dropping like a rock. $3.29 is what I saw Saturday(we had been around $4.09 during the gas shortages in the ATL a few weeks back) and I know it's under $3.00 in some parts of the country....

But, $2.20 sounds better to me as well! :mellow:

Filled up at $3.09 in Jersey just after I emerged from the Holland Tunnel this morning, then saw $3.05 at the Sunoco three blocks later just before the turnpike. D'oh! Regardless, that's the lowest price I've seen in a while.

And it's only 2.89, down Rt.1 in Linden. :rfr

Filled up at $3.09 in Jersey just after I emerged from the Holland Tunnel this morning, then saw $3.05 at the Sunoco three blocks later just before the turnpike. D'oh! Regardless, that's the lowest price I've seen in a while.

And it's only 2.89, down Rt.1 in Linden. :rfr

Damn. And I was even thinking about going back on R. 1! Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...