The Gasoline Blues

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...$1.99-$2.03 here in Indy....as low as $1.79 in some outlying areas. I was in Chicago this weekend...suburbs....$2.79...in the city..$3.45.

m

Yeah, the oil companies really like to screw the cities.

...while not Chicago; Indy is a city....of about 1000000 people...but downtown Chicago is always about $0.75 per gallon higher than the burbs.

• 2 weeks later...

well, this new gas situation is leading to a lot of special promotions - the other day I went into my local station and there was no price posted; the guy said "if you can guess the price you can have sex for free." So I guessed and he said, "sorry," and I left. I was driving by the place a few days later with my wife - I said "those guys are offering sex if you can guess the right price, but I think the whole contest is fixed." "Oh no, I don't think so," she said. "I won three times last week."

Edited by AllenLowe

well, this new gas situation is leading to a lot of special promotions - the other day I went into my local station and there was no price posted; the guy said "if you can guess the price you can have sex for free." So I guessed and he said, "sorry," and I left. I was driving by the place a few days later with my wife - I said "those guys are offering sex if you can guess the right price, but I think the whole contest is fixed." "Oh no, I don't think so," she said. "I won three times last week."

:g

MG

Well, let's see what a Toronto equivalent would be...

At a discount gas retailer, C$0.78.9/liter. At an exchange rate today of 1.255 that's 98.9 a liter.

A liter is .9463 US quart, so let's say 4 liters is a US gallon, (close enough) making it 4 X $0.989 or about $3.96 a gallon.

And Canada is your biggest supplier of petroleum, but you pay HALF what we do! (In Toronto, at least --probably cheaper elsewhere).

At a discount gas retailer, C$0.78.9/liter. At an exchange rate today of 1.255 that's 98.9 a liter.

A liter is .9463 US quart, so let's say 4 liters is a US gallon, (close enough) making it 4 X $0.989 or about $3.96 a gallon.

Youch!!!! That just don't seem right.

BTW, a couple days ago I went back and read the first page of this thread, dated March 30th, 2005. People are now saying how damn cheap gas has gotten when it's gone down to where it was then! And in March 2005 people were screaming that it was up to $2.20! Of course, it actually makes sense that gas seems cheap now after spiking up to 4 bucks-plus for a while. And it seems like it went down awfully fast in the last few months...historically fast.

Still...ironic, eh?

Youch!!!! That just don't seem right.

That's because it isn't .

C$0.78.9/liter is not US$0.98.9/liter , it's US$0.63/liter at today's exchange rate . So that's roughly US$2.50 a gallon .

• 3 weeks later...

Remember all the "experts" that said we would never see gas prices south of $4.00 again??? Remember all the times in previous price spikes where they said it would go up $4.00, and it didn't??? Experts don't know shit most of the time. But they still get to call themselves experts.

I saw $1.50 yesterday, it brought a tear to me eye.