Booker T. And The MG's

Jazz Kat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love 'em as a band--only here to pass along an anecdote. Don Glass, a longtime WFIU station exec/program creator, came here to IU in the mid-1960s to teach at the School of Music. In one of his classes was a quiet, sharp-dressed African-American student who was always out of town for long weekends... Don, immersed in the world of classical, didn't know who the guy was till later. Said guy was Booker T., and he was away on the weekends gigging and recording for Stax.

Fave track: "Chinese Checkers."

Edited by ghost of miles

I find that when they do originals it's really tight, and groovin. The little more corny side of them comes when they do covers. (JUST BARELY) The Christmas album, In The Christmas Spirit was just recorded too low. Other than that, my favorite non jazz band. Melting Pot, awesome! Their version of Something, beats the Beatles' version ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! Their whole bag is great. Absolutely love them. Steve Cropper, blues virtuoso! Al Jackson, tightest non show drummer in the world, rather painful death. I wonder what Jimmy Smith thought of Booker. :huh:

I may actually prefer them doing covers, slightly, but there's really no need to choose. some favorites: Sing a Simple Song, which is actually a sort of Sly medley since they work in bit of other songs of his; "dear James Medley" from the Mar-Keys Memphis Sound (Mar Keys= MGs + horns by this point); and for an original Bootleg. I kinda like the naive-ness of their earlier work... And if y'all haven't heard any of the originally unissued stuffs thats come out more recently, check their version of Dock of the Bay!

I enjoyed the track, Hip Hug Her, in the movie Barfly. :D

My favorite Booker T & the M.G.'s is the early stuff and I too prefer their originals.

Alexander beat me to the punch, but I dig McLemore Ave. - I've loved that album for years.

I'm really into Steve Cropper's guitar playing. I love his style. :tup

Jazz Kat:

sorry to not reply sooner. "sing a simple Song" is on The Booker T Set, "Boot-Leg" on various greatest Hits things, and "Dock of the Bay" only on the box set or the 1000 Volts of Stax import VA collection. I think if their "Dock of the Bay" was issued as a single and/or used in a movie it could be a major hit...