Booker T. And The MG's

Jazz Kat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a curmudgeon or anything, but I named "Green Onions" as my favorite track because it's really the only track of theirs I dig. Nothing else I've heard from them really does anything for me.

Just my two cents. Changed offered at the customer service window, providing you kept your receipt! ^_^:P

Speaking of singers, was'nt Booker T married to singer Rita Coolege(sp?)? Rita was a first call backup singer in those days along with Whitney's mom Cissy Houston.

As far as I know Rita Coolidge was married to singer/songwriter/actor Kris Kristofferson.

Speaking of singers, was'nt Booker T married to singer Rita Coolege(sp?)? Rita was a first call backup singer in those days along with Whitney's mom Cissy Houston.

Booker T was married to Priscilla Coolidge, sister of Rita. Made several LP's as "Booker T and Priscilla".

Seems this is the hammond he recorded "Green Onions" on:

bookerhammond.jpg

source

Yes, Booker used a Hammond M3. The M3 model is similair to a B3 except it doesn't have full pedals and has shorter keyboards (less keys), so you can't really play basslines on it. Obviously, Booker didn't need that. I'm pretty sure they just mic'd the internal speaker as well and did not use a Leslie.

I have an M3 sitting in my garage right now.

I just noticed in that photo that the bass pedals are gone. Someone (possibly Booker) must've removed them, as they are not detachable on the M3 model. If you're not using them, that's a good idea as they can be damaged easily when moving the thing around.

As for what Jimmy Smith thought of Booker T? I wager he didn't think about him at all. Jimmy had a big ego! :)

As for what Jimmy Smith thought of Booker T? I wager he didn't think about him at all. Jimmy had a big ego! :)

Yeah, but he said Sun Ra couldn't play shit, John Patton was average, and larry Young, was good. Just not as good as him. (lol) I wonder what he would of said about Booker. Probaly would of knocked him for not using pedals. Or something close to how he was so much better. :P

I find that when they do originals it's really tight, and groovin. The little more corny side of them comes when they do covers. (JUST BARELY) The Christmas album, In The Christmas Spirit was just recorded too low. Other than that, my favorite non jazz band. Melting Pot, awesome! Their version of Something, beats the Beatles' version ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! Their whole bag is great. Absolutely love them. Steve Cropper, blues virtuoso! Al Jackson, tightest non show drummer in the world, rather painful death. I wonder what Jimmy Smith thought of Booker.  :huh:

You might want to revisit In the Christmas Spirit. Espacially the outro bars of "Jingle Bells". Man, I'd love to hear what happened after they faded that out. Really picks up steam there at the end.

I have no problem listening to this record outside of the X-Mas season. They're just standards, man. Like anything else. No more or less appropriate than rocking The Wee Small Hours at 2:00 in the afternoon. (And I hardly think that most of us wait until last call on a rainy night in Manhattan to put that -- or any other comparable -- record on.)

The box looks good, but the problem I always have with this kind of box set is that it's somebody else's idea of what to include.

Those Stax lps were very short. They could put out the first 7 or 8 lps on probably a 3 disc set. Same with Otis, Rufus Thomas, Carla, etc.

• 1 year later...

What's not to like?

Great band. Ultimately, they're more important for being the Stax house band and playing on all those classic records. But they were pretty amazing on their own, too. Funny, but I've always liked the other guys better than Booker, especially Steve Cropper (one of my favorite pop/rock/soul guitarists) and Al Jackson, Jr. (ditto for drummers).

re Booker, you realize that sometimes it's Isaac Hayes instead of or in addition to Booker on Keyboards? I would also add that I enjoy the other Memphibian R&B instrumentals as much as the MGs and would love to see/hear a box that also had Mar-Keys, etc. on it...the MGs box did have "Hole In the Wall" by the Packers, but I have other inclusion/exclusion issues with it..."Yank Me Doodle" anyone?

Edited by danasgoodstuff