I was sad... but now I'm mad

David Ayers

Well, it has taken me a long time to get mad, but it has happened.

People have said 'don't boycott Blue Note and Mosaic' over what happened, and I thought I agreed. But essentially those folks told us to EDITED, and I for one am not going to go rushing back up to them begging to EDITED.

Pardon my language.

Let's remind ourselves that so called Blue Note is actually EMI, who as it happens bought Blue Note records and other labels and have been drip feeding them to us ever since. Same for Mosaic (part owned by EMI) who revolt me over their attitude to the difference between European and US copyright laws (Cuscuna complains that the European laws impede his business, instead of complaining about the US laws, set up more in favor of big business, which impede American consumers from enjoying American music for an extra twenty years so that the big companies can continue to milk them, even though they don't actually put out much of the stuff because it doesnt fit their business model).

All the big companies do is sit on stuff while we beg for it to be reissued. Then when we get too lippy and demanding on their chat boards they shut up shop.

Re the BNBB Cuscuna is reported as saying 'something had to be done'. He should have defended it and us. Tom Evered just said 'frankly its our board'.

I won't boycott them. I don't need to. I just get a bad taste in my mouth when I think of picking up their product and it could be some time before I do.

Edited by David Ayers

I can't agree with you more about the trickle of reissues. Take Verve (please!) - they are hogging such labels as Argo and Cadet, yet hardly putting any titles out. And when they do put out an obscurity like the Jazz Lab live at Newport, it's an over-priced limited edition.

Back on the old board, I used to always get annoyed when Tom would announce a batch of six or twleve titles to be reissued, and people would start thanking him profusely for this 'generous' gift. Give me a break! Fantasy puts out a lot more than that every year, and they stay in print! It was all I could do to resist posting: 'Yes, thank you Blue Note for making your product available for purchase'. What else are they supposed to do with the stuff? It's not like putting out CDs is a little side business they're running. If EMI and Verve don't believe the jazz titles will sell and are therefore not worth reissuing, then they should sell their holdings to the Fantasy Group who will reissue them.

Good point, Bertrand.

I always wondered why BN had such a problem with warehousing their product. If I was running a company, I think I could find a way to warehouse my stuff. So, the only reason that Fantasy keeps their titles in print is because they own their own warehouse, and the reason the BN titles go out of print quickly is because they don't. BN, I think it's time to get a warehouse. Then you can sell ALL the cds you press instead of blowing them out as cut-outs. I understand that they have to work within the EMI system, but come on! Bad business is bad business. If they did this maybe they could afford to have a website and a moderator (not that I would go back).

:rmad::excited::rmad:

I keep figuring the BNBB was not important enough, to Blue Note, for the company to give it the slightest bit of thought, positive or negative. Conversely, it was important enough for Blue Note to limit it, and then shut it down completely.

Blue Note holds a high spot in jazz history, for sure. I like the music, the history, the ambiance of RVG, and the album art (Blue Note had the best album art). Unfortunately, I’m describing the Blue Note of old. The modern version of Blue Note is simply a brand name tied to the EMI conglomerate.

I’ll continue to purchase the Blue Note product because I like it. However, the days of Lion, Wolff and RVG are only a distant memory. :(

Edited by wesbed

I think we're experiencing the Kubler-Ross five stages of grief. ;)

But I've pretty much let go of it already. Their loss, as far as I'm concerned, if they want to alienate several hundred customers in one of the few businesses where that might actually make a difference.

I've accepted it. Though, I think I've been agitated since it happened.

They blew it.

This board shows how rustic the BNBB software really was.

Amen to that!

<<<<<<<<<< check out my latest musical love, tATu

Actually they have become my honorary avatar for their reported response in an English interview when asked about the sexploitative nature of their videos, to which they answered with the words you see below. I thought it was a good answer and worth keeping.

Edited by David Ayers

Same for Mosaic (part owned by EMI) who revolt me over their attitude to the difference between European and US copyright laws (Cuscuna complains that the European laws impede his business, instead of complaining about the US laws, set up more in favor of big business, which impede American consumers from enjoying American music for an extra twenty years so that the big companies can continue to milk them, even though they don't actually put out much of the stuff because it doesnt fit their business model).

Man, I couldn't agree with you more on this one. Let's face it, the "intellectual property" laws have nothing to do with protecting the creators or insuring innovation, and everything to do with big business milking another dollar off of the corpse of long-dead artists. It's disgusting to see, and insulting to our intelligence to boot.

As for the "anger" at Blue Note, I guess I've already dealt with it. There IS no Blue Note. Blue Note is a company that used to exist years ago that was a national treasure. The current owners of the name are, to borrow Zappa's title, only in it for the money. There are plenty of small labels, owned by people who really care about the music that are far more worthy of our support and loyalty. I'm sure some of us could come up with some suggestions... :winky:

David, did you catch the story in the New Yorker on Tatu? That was the first I'd heard of them. They seem like sort of strange girls (or else they're putting on a very contrived act - or it was a misrepresentative article - or both). At one point in the interview, one of the girls, not having been asked about her physical condition, blurts out "My pussy hurts". How's that for a signature line? ;)

I'm not so much angry at Blue Note as I am amazed at how stupid they were. They offended more than just ordinary customers; they (probably without even thinking about it) risked pissing off people who give them virtually FREE advertising, the several board members who work at radio stations. Between me and Steve Schwartz, we had the two major Boston area jazz stations represented on that board. I have a *very* big say in what goes over the air at my station. I can choose to give the promo copies they send us maximum exposure, I can leave them on a shelf somewhere to collect dust until another DJ discovers 'em, or...I can take them home for my own enjoyment and nobody will be the wiser. I actually considered posting a really pompous-sounding Do you know who I AM, Tom? thread but thought better of it.

Now, I have no clue how many people have been turned on to BN discs as a result of our playing them on the air. But if I had to guess, I doubt Blue Note would want to risk offending the radio crowd if they knew there was one posting on the board...unless, of course they're moving toward an agenda where they don't care about advertising their *jazz* releases anyway.

I didn't see the New Yorker article, but they have had lots of coverage over here. Hm, "My pussy hurts". I'm trying to think of ways of dropping that into future conversation but so far I'm coming up with nothing...

In my R&B band, the phrase "My pussy hurts" is said in imitation of the guy in the band that doesn't want to play a particular song because he hasn't practiced his part and/or his voice is not up to par or he's tired or ... you get the idea.

For example......

Me: "Let's play that Funk, Inc. tune."

Guitarist: "Aw man, I don't want to play that tune. It's too early in the night."

Me: "Awww, my pussy hurts!!"

:rhappy:

Well, my wife uses it on me all the time, why shouldn't I use it on her?

Tasteless, I know. I'm sorry. :(

Well, I haven't met your wife, so I guess it's cool for you. Jim's wife is a sweetheart, but I'll maintain what I said regarding her anticipated reaction.

Actually, my main beef is that Jim has used this on me before. :rolleyes:

Big Wheel, Yeah I've wondered about that , too. The numbers of people involved are small, but there's a lot of radio folks involved. Certainly, there's no one else in Australia who plays the same high percentage of BN stuff - old and new - that I do. About one in four shows is nothing but BN. I have no intention of changing my programming because of all this, though.

Then, and again the numbers are small but so what?, there were a lot of BNBBers who were/are zealots who seemingly took whatever opportunities offered themselves to turn on rellies, friends, work mates and so on.

But to echo other posters on various threads and boards, it's bridge under the water now. It' already a memory. And it seems to me we're all better off.

But to echo other posters on various threads and boards, it's bridge under the water now. It' already a memory. And it seems to me we're all better off.

If the Organissimo board remains active we are better off. I haven't had this much fun since my initial discovery of the BNBB! :g

Edited by wesbed

If the Organissimo board remains active we are better off. I haven't had this much fun since my initial discovery of the BNBB! :g

I LOVE it here! B3-er has done a great job with this board. The old BNBB is fading away for me. Though, I do wish we had a lot of those great threads over here. I'm barely even going to AAJ anymore. This is a great place!

:D :rsmile: :D :rsmile: :D

Edited by AfricaBrass

I mentioned this early on in my posting over at AAJ, but does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode in which his girlfriend kept changing the order of her speed dial depending on things in their relationship were going.

That episode was brought to mind when when I bounced the BNBB address a few notches down in My Favorites. Happened again when I when Organissimo supplanted AAJ on the list.

I like the vibe at this board, but will still regularly check out AAJ. The biggest challenge for this board, I think, will be coming up with ways to attract new posters. Not that I mind hangin' with all you guys of course, but I think you know what I mean.