Organissimo is in the studio...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was really funny is that Glenn's studio is next door to a hair salon. He has never, in his 10+ years of being in that location, had any complaints from the folks next door. After our third take of "Smokin' Section", however, a nice looking young lady (hair stylist, I assume) popped in and asked us to please turn it down! Glenn was flabergasted!!!

You see, he's got my Leslie and PR-40 cabinet mic'd up in the hallway (with only one wall separating them and the salon) and "Smokin' Section" is very high-energy and high-volume. But here's the weird thing... he's had full-blown Marshall stacks cranking away in the hallway before and never had a complaint.

I think she just wanted to meet the hot-looking band...

Women are so transparent. ^_^

I say you offer the hair salon chicks the album cover (in return for putting up with your noise). Come on, all the guys in the band sitting in the seats under the big hairdryers? What do you say?

Mike

That's a good idea! Sounds like some 70's crazy rock band's album cover. Heck that probaly is an album cover!

What was really funny is that Glenn's studio is next door to a hair salon.  He has never,  in his 10+ years of being in that location, had any complaints from the folks next door.  After our third take of "Smokin' Section", however, a nice looking young lady (hair stylist, I assume) popped in and asked us to please turn it down!  Glenn was flabergasted!!! 

You see, he's got my Leslie and PR-40 cabinet mic'd up in the hallway (with only one wall separating them and the salon) and "Smokin' Section" is very high-energy and high-volume.  But here's the weird thing... he's had full-blown Marshall stacks cranking away in the hallway before and never had a complaint.

We'll all be waiting to see if rachel likes Smokin' Section.

What was really funny is that Glenn's studio is next door to a hair salon.  He has never,  in his 10+ years of being in that location, had any complaints from the folks next door.  After our third take of "Smokin' Section", however, a nice looking young lady (hair stylist, I assume) popped in and asked us to please turn it down!  Glenn was flabergasted!!! 

You see, he's got my Leslie and PR-40 cabinet mic'd up in the hallway (with only one wall separating them and the salon) and "Smokin' Section" is very high-energy and high-volume.  But here's the weird thing... he's had full-blown Marshall stacks cranking away in the hallway before and never had a complaint.

We'll all be waiting to see if rachel likes Smokin' Section.

:lol:

Our last day of tracking began Saturday morning, bright and early at 10am. I was absolutely beat after playing in Grand Rapids the previous night with my r&b band. But I managed to drag my scraggely ass into the studio first! HA!

We began by tracking a certain Zappa tune that has become a fan favorite at our live shows. Will it end up on the record? We'll see... it came out great and has a lot of energy. Maybe it was the two pots of coffee we all downed before hitting? :D

After getting a good take of the Zappa tune (guess which one, folks!) Randy tore down his Yamaha kit and set up the "jazz" kit... a small Ludwig kit with an 18" bass drum that has a great open sound! Our favorite saxman Johnny Gist arrived at around 11am and we did a couple takes of my tribute to Don Patterson called "Patterson's People". This is an uptempo burner in the vein of Don's classic "Dem New York Dues" and Johnny was tearing it up!

We then moved on to record a quartet version of "Stomp Yo' Feet". Oh baby, it's funky and greazy and slower than the one we cut on Tuesday! Slick, with a nasty Meters groove, poppin' away on that open bass drum! Yowza!

Finally, we tracked one more with Johnny... a little awkward blues I call "Third Right On The Left". I just remembered that Joe had an idea for the head-out a week ago that we never worked up. Oh well... the take is smokin'. Johnny played great and it was a pleasure to work with him. He really brought some fire to the proceedings.

After Johnny departed, we tracked another swinger of mine called "Orange Colored Day". While listening to the playback of take 2, Greg Nagy (our new manager) and Matt Hayes (the drummer from my r&b band... or Mr. Pocket, as I like to call him!) stopped in. Matt was kind enough to loan Randy his Pork Pie snare for "Wealthy St." We did another take of "Orange" and then called it a day. We were all wiped out.

On a serious note, Joe is going through a really tough personal time right now. I don't want to get into details, but he really needs everyones well wishes, thoughts of goodwill, and prayers. Joe is a great musician, a great friend, and a superb human being. He played his ass off on the sessions, especially considering what was going down during the week. Joe, I love you, brother. You're my musical soulmate and I am extremely proud of our collaborations and compositions. Without you, I probably would've given up on the organ thing a long time ago. It's going to be all right. I guarantee. Much love.

Here's some pictures from the proceedings on Saturday:

studio_10.jpg

Joe with his gee-tar. He's a morning guy. 10am and he's smiling like he just won the lottery.

studio_16.jpg

Me: "Consarnit... g**damn coffee... C'MON!!!"

studio_11.jpg

Randy is ready to go, coffee in hand.

studio_13.jpg

Johnny, listening to the playback. It's greaaaazzzy, baby!

studio_14.jpg

Randy, Matt Hayes, Joe, and I diggin' the playback on some funky stuff. Can't get enough!

studio_15.jpg

Zora did come out to the studio, although this pic was taken at home. I just couldn't resist putting her cute little face here!!

In a few weeks we'll go back for mixing and mastering. Noj is hard at work on the artwork, Lazaro is writing liner notes (aren't you, Lazaro?! :)) and we're on target for a late May, early June release.

Jim, thanks for the updates and pics. It sounds like you guys are getting some great music on tape. A laurel and hearty handshake to y'all.

Joe, you must know that you have many fans and friends here.

I'd venture to say that (whatever the situation) there are mass quantities of love, prayers and general positive vibes headed your way.

You have limitless support from us (as do all you guys!). You all have shared much, musically and otherwise, and it is appreciated.

.....and Randy- love the hair! (see avatar) :)

Edited by Free For All

Well, she came to the wrong place...

:P

I thought that was better than the standard "big organ" joke.

Maybe she was lookin' for me.

Why, you owe her money?

Jim, your jealousy is sooooo transparent. I've got the guitar, the hair, the Franklin Planner...chicks dig me. Get over it, already. geez. :P

Edited by GregN

Congrats Jim, Randy, and Joe, along with your friends and fellow players, as well as Glenn Brown, a brilliant guy: Having heard a couple of the 'roughs' on the upcoming CD I must say even I, knowing how talented and original you all are, am impressed. Knocked my socks off!

To all the members of this board who have responded so kindly and optimistically I can only say, thanks to all of you: I am very proud of my son and have no doubt that in a very few years this fine group will be world-famous. So, get your copies of their CD's now and one day they will be worth a fortune.

From Theo to all of you: Love

Edited by Theo