Organissimo is in the studio...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're heading back into the studio tomorrow to re-cut one tune. The tempo just wasn't right and we're after PERFECTION! :) That shouldn't take too long and then we can start mixing this baby.

Noj's artwork is awesome and I'll soon be sending a promo copy to Lazaro so he can begin the liner notes. We're hoping for a late June/early July release. There is still time to contribute if you'd like! Just see the first post in this thread for details.

I'll check into this thread tomorrow with the going's on.

Quick update: We re-tracked "Brother Ray"on Friday and I added a solo organ intro to the Zappa tune and Joe re-tracked the intro to Tenderly using a very special guitar (details below) and then we started mixing. We continued mixing on Saturday and got 5 tunes in the can. There will probably be 8 or 9 on the record. Hopefully we can finish up this coming Friday, then master Saturday and the audio side of things will be DONE!

This is getting really exciting! The recording sounds AWESOME! Glenn not only recorded most of the tracks through his Neve 8068 from Muscle Shoals, but he's mixing from ProTools back out to the console as well! The sound is full, deep, and rich. The organ bass in particular is just thunderous. Not over-whelming, mind you, but FULL. It's the sound I've always wanted out of the pedals.

Joe experimented with different guitar tones all over the album as well, utilizing several different amps (both his and Glenn's), his Ibanez and his Hofner, and as a special treat, he performed the intro to "Tenderly" on my father's 1976 custom made Gibson Super 400. The sound brought me to tears. I've heard that guitar my entire life (I was born in 1977) and Joe played it just beautifully. I know the sound of that guitar like my own breath. It's very moving. Thanks to my dad for letting Joe use it.

Randy used two different kits on this recording, too. His standard Yamaha Stage Custom that is his main gigging kit and his newer Ludwig jazz kit. I also borrowed a friend's Pork Pie piccolo snare for one tune, making it extra funky! That along with Bill Vits' percussion on a few cuts makes for some great listening!

I'm very very excited about this new record and I really think this might take us over the hump, if the right people hear it. There is some SHIT going down on this record! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, what's the latest street-date of this bad boy??  Can't wait!!! :excited:

I've tried to keep up with this thread, but I don't remember ever seeing the exact title of the Zappa cover tune revealed.  Is it Peaches??

Here is the final track listing:

organissimo - This Is The Place

1. Wealthy Street (alfredson / gloss)

2. Greaze Monkey (alfredson / gloss / marsh)

3. Brother Ray (alfredson / gloss)

4. Smoking Section (alfredson / gloss)

5. Stomp Yo' Feets (alfredson / gloss / marsh)

6. Tenderly (gross / lawrence)

7) Play Nice (alfredson / gloss)

8) Peaches En Regalia (zappa)

9) Pumpkin Pie (alfredson / gloss)

I was hoping the street date would be the end of the month, but now it's looking like it might be closer to mid-July, early August. We'll see. We're mastering this Wednesday, I just got Noj's kickass artwork to the typesetter/layout guy, we're ready to go at CDBaby (they're just waiting for the CDs) and Lazaro should be getting his pre-master copy any day now so he can write the liner notes.

It's in motion! I think I'm going to make the cut-off date for $100 contributions in the next few days. I have to determine the best date based on what the layout guy says.

I've been listening to the record once a day on various systems and I am very proud, not to mention excited to get it out there!

I thought it was Greensleeves too!

If it is, I been listenin to WAY too much B3 music.

I just took the sample and looped it for three and a half minutes to make a full song. It reiterates, repititious redundencies over and over again, but it's still greazy!

Ooo, Mike can name that tune in two beats!

It's THE note...randomly enough...Jim Dye picked out one of the most recognizable snippets in jazz organ history. When Jimmy is taking that tune all the way...he plays all sorts of great stuff and then rushes up to THAT note. It's like a knife to the heart when he finally hits it. Timing! Tension and release! Beautiful! :D