Photos you don't tire of

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a photo (or series of photos) of Ornette in the early 70's (or very late 60's), rehearsing in a "loft"-type space just as a trio (I think), that I simply love. It's back when he had a full beard for a few years there. I think the photographer was Valerie Wilmer, if I remember right. I'm looking for the image on-line now, but can't seem to find it.

I think the picture I'm looking for is in Wilmer's "As Serious As Your Life: The Story of the New Jazz", which I see they have just reissued (again) in paperback, calling it "As Serious As Your Life: John Coltrane and Beyond". (Or at least I presume that this is the same book, retitled.) I'll see if I can find my copy of the book, and confirm it one way or another.

Rooster,

I think the picture you are thinking of is in Litweiler's The Harmolodic Life.

There is one picture of Ornette playing trumpet with Haden, Blackwell, AND Izenzon, AND Yoko Ono is leaning against the wall, probably wailing.

The other that fits your description is of Ornette, Redman, Haden, and Blackwell. It looks like they are taking a break, except for Haden, hand in position.

If I had a scanner, I'd post the images for you. They are enticing. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

There is a photo (or series of photos) of Ornette in the early 70's (or very late 60's), rehearsing in a "loft"-type space just as a trio (I think), that I simply love.  It's back when he had a full beard for a few years there.  I think the photographer was Valerie Wilmer, if I remember right.  I'm looking for the image on-line now, but can't seem to find it.

I think the picture I'm looking for is in Wilmer's "As Serious As Your Life: The Story of the New Jazz", which I see they have just reissued (again) in paperback, calling it "As Serious As Your Life: John Coltrane and Beyond".  (Or at least I presume that this is the same book, retitled.)  I'll see if I can find my copy of the book, and confirm it one way or another.

Rooster,

I think the picture you are thinking of is in Litweiler's The Harmolodic Life.

There is one picture of Ornette playing trumpet with Haden, Blackwell, AND Izenzon, AND Yoko Ono is leaning against the wall, probably wailing.

The other that fits your description is of Ornette, Redman, Haden, and Blackwell. It looks like they are taking a break, except for Haden, hand in position.

Just found my Litweiler's "Harmolodic Life", and it's definitely NOT the picture with Yoko. I had forgotten all about that picture (the one with Yoko), and although it is interesting, it was the other one (or one very much like it) that is the one I like so much. This (below) is a cropped version, but the shot in the book shows Charlie Haden (and his bass) standing off to the right, just out of the frame. In fact, I just noticed that Ed Blackwell is in the original (uncropped) picture too, sitting at his drum set - just out of frame.

Man, cutting this picture just ruined it. :( Though cut, here it is again...

CD938j.jpg

Can somebody with a scanner who also owns Litweiler's "Harmolodic Life" book, please scan the full version of this picture, and post it to this thread?? Thanks!!!! I'd give the page number, but in my hardcover version, the pages with photos are not numbered. It's the picture across from the full-page picture of Ornette and Anthony Braxton playing pool (which is also a cool picture, I might add). The one I'm talking about is just like the picture in this post, only bigger - and with Haden and Blackwell too.

I love this picture so much that when Jazziz or Jazz Times (I forget which) did a story several years ago on jazz photography (and they included this picture in the article), that I wrote off to Val Wilmer (in the U.K.) asking if there was any way I could purchase a print of the photograph directly from her. I included a photocopy of it with my letter, so she was sure of which photo I was talking about. Never heard anything back from her, though. This would have been around 1994 or '95 or so.

==========

Also, I'm still searching around for the full verison of that Ornette picture, and stumbled on this one (below), another photo by Wilmer. Never heard of this 'Terroade' cat before...

im00229.jpg

Kenneth Terroade in a Flat in Putney, London, July 1971

(photo by Val Wilmer, born 1941)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

First of all, Kenneth Terroade had his own record on Byg/Actuel and is sideman on a bunch. He's originally from Jamaica and a Google search will reveal some info.

All of the Ornette/loft pictures mentioned were taken at Ornette's place on Prince Street. A number of the photos are included in the original vinyl of "Friends and Neighbors" - don't know about the cd versions. Three or four photos from Prince St. are reproduced in "A Harmolodic Life" including one of Ornette and Braxton playing pool.

Way cool avatar Joe!

caceres.jpg Ernie Caceres!

Yep, it was the only really good image of the *great* Ernie Caceres I was able to find online. It would only have been improved if he were holding a baritone sax instead of a clarinet... but why quibble?

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Funny, I hadn't remembered that this thread even existed. AND, when I saw the title on the "todays topics" page just now, I immediately thought of the EXACT same image that I apparently posted about earlier in this thread (which I have absolutely no memory of having posted two years ago) --- where I mentioned the "Ornette Quartet Loft" pics from the early 70's.

:excited:

:):):):):)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Also dig these:

06271t.gif06241t.gif06251t.gif

And these:

01091t.gif01081t.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Minton's. I'm having a brain lapse when trying to post and wanted to post the other famous Minton's pic where Howard McGhee, Monk, Teddy Hill and Roy Eldridge are standing outside of Minton's in 1947.

Long live Minton's (whenever it reopens, that is)!!!

Marla

Also dig these:

06271t.gif06241t.gif06251t.gif

And these:

01091t.gif01081t.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Minton's. I'm having a brain lapse when trying to post and wanted to post the other famous Minton's pic where Howard McGhee, Monk, Teddy Hill and Roy Eldridge are standing outside of Minton's in 1947.

Long live Minton's (whenever it reopens, that is)!!!

Marla

This one?

Edited by sheldonm