Joss Stone......

wolff

Mine is...in 20 years we'll still be hearing from Keys long after Stone is as forgotten as Juice Newton is today.

I think much of Stone's issues may stem from youth, or poor-asthetic coaching. Vocal wanking is, unfortunately, still in vogue.

Joss and Juice?

While I like the alliteration and internal slant rhyme, I believe the Joss may have a brighter future. Besides, if I were singing with Rod on stage, I'd want to fill all silences, lest the old coot asked me out on a date. :)

G

P.S. And as an aside, my cousin tells his twelve year old daily, "you can't spell CRAP, without RAP!"

It just tickles me, that's all. No flame intended.

Edited by GregN

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more Winehouse:

check the live deal ... a bit more believable ... dig that little Shangri La thing. the cut's a good minute too long, could've used a solo for spice.

i think she has to pee.

another Tina tip w/ Weller.

looked at some other vids on YouTube.

this gal's gonna end up on the loo floor mighty soon.

DevilGirlCrumb1.jpg

now what about that Lily Allen!!!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Saw Winehouse on Letterman last week, and was kinda non-plussed. DG's been hyping her but I wasn't convinced, and still amn't.

This whole "White Soul Mama" thing was sort of passe even when it was new, and that was many decades ago.

Maybe I'm missing something...........

Joss is passe , the Hot new wannabe out of England right now is Amy Winehouse . The music press

has compared her singing to Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington . And her new cd Back to Black

is actually pretty good, check out her video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

Enjoyed this substatially more than the same song performed live on Letterman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRF43-xaYc...ted&search= Liked the body language in the video, seemed natural.

Still, it is all kind of retro, isn't it?

Joss is passe , the Hot new wannabe out of England right now is Amy Winehouse . The music press

has compared her singing to Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington . And her new cd Back to Black

is actually pretty good, check out her video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

Enjoyed this substatially more than the same song performed live on Letterman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRF43-xaYc...ted&search= Liked the body language in the video, seemed natural.

Still, it is all kind of retro, isn't it?

Yeah but - I've listened very carefully to both Amy Winehouse CDs, & I really like both of them.

Now Lilly Allen. Don't get me started on that chavvy, half-baked wannabe.

:lol: Oh please, go on. I can tell ya dig her. :wub:

Her album was released here, what, seven months after the UK? My kid wanted me to check her out and I have listened to her and find it all a bit of a hoot ... not so much my cupotea but anyone who puts up "The Chief" from Fess right after the hit single intro on a debut album has either some smarts somewhere or a decent producer.

I gather she's rather a stirrer of chit than a real talent in the end, eh.

• 3 weeks later...

Alexander will soon give us a report.

Not the most flattering cover. They should have used one of the bikini shots from her vacation in the Bahamas! :)

Got it, but haven't listened to it yet. I'll let you know when I do!

I've listened to this several times now, and can comment on it.

First of all, there's the title. It's been the butt of several jokes since the album was released last month. One review I saw here in Albany read, "Already met her. Twice." While I think she could have avoided this by choosing something different, there is some logic to it.

One is the fact that she's changed lables. Well, actually what she's changed is her imprint. She used to be signed to S-Curve and is now on Virgin. Both are EMI lables, but from what I've heard it really isn't six of one/half a dozen of the other. When Wilco got booted off of Warner Brothers, they wound up signing with Nonesuch, a Warner Brothers lable. This wasn't some master plan by the folks at Warners, but rather the fact that Nonesuch is something of an independent entity. This may well be the case with S-Curve and Virgin, and if that is indeed the case, then one could argue that Joss views this as a new beginning, hence "Introducing..."

The other is the fact that Joss was, apparently, unhappy with the way she was presented on her first two albums. While I loved "The Soul Sessions" and enjoyed "Mind, Body and Soul," Joss was dissatisfied with the "retro-soul" sound of both albums. "Introducing" is supposed to be closer to her personal vision. It's still inspired by classic soul, but with a more contemporary feel.

As to the music itself, I like it a lot. I don't think that it's really that different from her first two albums, although it does make use of samples, drum loops and guest rappers (Common and Lauren Hill, both of whom I love). It still has a 70s-soul groove and her voice remains magnificent. Will she be able to maintain this? I don't know, but I do know that she's managed to release three albums without any kind of "sophomore slump," and that is encouraging.

If you enjoyed "The Soul Sessions" and "Mind, Body and Soul," then "Introducing" will satisfy. If you didn't care for her debut, then this won't convince you. It's more of the same, but when the same is this good, you don't mind.

BTW, I got "Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse, and I like it a lot. The thing that REALLY impressed me is that several tracks feature members of the Dap-Kings such as Binky Griptite and Neal Sugarman.

Get Frank too.

She was 19 when she recorded it.

It's excellent anyway.

• 4 months later...

WineHouse alert:

She was admitted to hospital last Wednesday after taking a cocktail of heroin, cocaine, ecstasy and the horse tran-quilliser ketamine.
YIKES!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertai...icle2862026.ece

jeez ...

I've been off and on with that Frank from above rec - her "Mr. Magic" is nice, a pretty great debut IMO - and listening to a couple things from her recent one (them Dap Horns do do it right per alexander's rec).

From all the vids I've seen she does look ready for the Chelsea Hotel. Read she pulled out of upcoming Stones support gigs as well.

Hopefully she can get some much needed help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6945833.stm

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm