Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen Has Died

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m really shocked by this!

From all the bassists who played with Tete Montoliu he was my favorite, by far. In fact I had planned to (try to) contact him to talk about Tete and get some fresh information.

Sad, very sad news!

One of the best bass players EVER!

:(:(:(

Truly a great loss.

The news item Kevin linked to is a summary of his life, but it makes no mention of the cause of death. If anyone want, I'll be glad to translate it, but I expect that we will see obits in English before the day is over.

Edited by Christiern

I was flabbergasted to realize that he was only 58 because his career lasted so long - he was an elder statesman while still in middle age! And he was almost immediately playing with the top musicians. If he were in America, he certainly would have worked, but there were so many other great bassists that it would have taken a lot of time for him to amass as much experience as he got by working with every American visitor.

From about 1961 to 2005 - that's a helluva run.

Mike

This came as a complete shock. It's not long ago that I had heard that he had some health problems, but I would never have expected this. Some contacts confirm that it was a heart attack.

Niels-Henning was the musician I saw live the most, bar none.

He was a great man, a pleasure to be around with, in short, a true gentleman (and he had a tremendous sense of humor).

Of all the very sad losses these past months and years, this one hit home the most.

It closes a chapter for me, really.

:(

Had the chance to interview NHOP in Denmark, at the Tivoli Gardens Slukhafta (sp) night club, after a performance with Svend Assumsen, Kenny Drew, NHOP and Ed Thigpen. Spoke on tape to all but Thigpen. Great music. Drew was consice, just a couple of pure, perfect choruses then out. He and Pederson hooked up wonderfully. NHOP went to get a beer before the interview and said towards Kenny Drew just before leaving, "I'll be right Black." He was 16 when playing with Dexter, and around that age when he appeared on that not too successful Albert Ayler record. For what it is worth the drummer from that Ayler record, Ronnie Gardiner (sp), has a girlfriend in West Michigan and has been coming into the area fairly regularly. He usually calls the station when he comes in and lays a cd or two on us....

RIP NHOP -- he swung Denmark.