Bennie Green

jbs-tom

You'll have problems getting Bennie Green vinyls these days.

Some recommended non-BN sessions:

- Bennie Green on Time records, with Jimmy Forrest and Sonny Clark,

- Glidin' Along on Jazzland with Johnny Griffin.

But I'm not really sure the vinyl reissues are any better than the CD releases.

If you can find that Vee-Jay date w/Gene Ammons, Franks Foster & Wess, & Nat Adderley, a.o., grab it!

65606.jpg

Note: this is the CD reissue cover, which adds Ammons' name as co-leader. The original was issued solely with Green's name as the leader. But the rest of the artwork seems to be the same.

Let me get this straight:  Bennie Green and Art Farmer, used, and you hesitated?

Maybe it's because they used (well, Bennie, anyway...) and he hesitated that he got straight.

Or something like that. Too many inadvertant drug implications in that sentence not to try and get a joke out of it! :g

I have all the Blue Notes, Prestiges, the Jazzland, the Time, The VeeJay, the Bethlehem - all are good, although IMHO the Blue Notes are a notch above the others. Well I'm biased 'cause he's one of my favourite 'bonists, but if ya like one of 'em ya will like all of 'em!

I have all the Blue Notes, Prestiges, the Jazzland, the Time, The VeeJay, the Bethlehem - all are good, although IMHO the Blue Notes are a notch above the others. Well I'm biased 'cause he's one of my favourite 'bonists, but if ya like one of 'em ya will like all of 'em!

To Mike's list I would add the albums on Decca & Enrica. Bennie was a fine trombonist - love his sound!

Though he's not the leader, do not ignore this wonderful date:

-The Jo Jones Special- : Emmett Berry (tp) Bennie Green (tb) Lucky Thompson (ts) Count Basie (p-1) Nat Pierce (p-2) Freddy Green (g) Walter Page (b) Jo Jones (d)

New York, August 11, 1955

Shoe shine boy (take 1)(1) Vanguard VRS8503, 662132 (CD), VSDF101/2-2

Lover man (2) - , - , -

Georgia Mae (2) - , - , -

Lincoln Heights (2) - , - , -

Embraceable you (2) - , - , -

Shoe shine boy (take 2)(1) - , - , -

This record was my introduction to Mr Green and I never forgot.

To Mike's list I would add the albums on Decca & Enrica. Bennie was a fine trombonist - love his sound!

You're right, of course - I was just too lazy to walk over to the shelf ....

second the recommendation on the Four Trombones date and the Jo Jones.

The Deccas are included on a recent Ocium CD.

Have "Pow" as a Saba issue - nice but not as good as the others IMHO.

Isn't there another Stitt/Green session made earlier?