Weird

Let me pose a question to the 'free marketeers' of this thread:

Would you have a problem if a single buyer/dealer acquired ALL 5,000 copies

of a never-again licensed Mosaic set of a modern jazz artist?

And, if this buyer placed 10 copies on Ebay each week to the highest bidder?

Then let's cut-out the middleman and go one step further:

If profit-maximization is all that matters, then why should Mosaic bother selling direct to the public at a fixed price when it can have them bid at auction? The return on investment would be to the direct benefit of Mosaic stockholders.

Isn't this the essence of the 'free-market' model you are defending?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe free market assumes equal information to all players. This is clearly not the case here. I, for one, still haven't received Mosaic's last brochure and had I not been reading this board I would have missed this set altogether. Now, I don't think *this* is fair.

Sometimes it irritates me that Americans tend to forget that there's a whole world outside their borders.

It especially bugs me, because it's a common knowledge that Jerusalem is the center of the world!!

jerusalem-map-clovis.jpg

;)

I believe free market assumes equal information to all players. This is clearly not the case here. I, for one, still haven't received Mosaic's last brochure and had I not been reading this board I would have missed this set altogether. Now, I don't think *this* is fair.

There is equal info for all. Customers the world over can access the Mosaic site at will and see for themselves what the current state of play is regarding sets that have sprouted wings and are now flying off the shelf. Ron S checked the site and posted an alert here. Those who check the site every week will always be in the know. I'd rely on the brochure for accurate/timely updates, the way that I'd rely on a single news channel to keep me up to speed on all the latest goings on in el mundo........not to mention all the breathtaking twists & turns in the Michael Jackson bugfuck of a trial-fest.

Weizen, you may be right, but I remember the days when I missed out on a few sets because by the time I got the catalogue and mailed in my order they were gone... times before I had *any* internet connection available - that's not so very long ago, prob. ten years... and that sucked big time! Feel free to send me your Jimmy Smith set, any day! :P

Let me pose a question to the 'free marketeers' of this thread:

Would you have a problem if a single buyer/dealer acquired ALL 5,000 copies of a never-again licensed Mosaic set of a modern jazz artist?

Once again, this thread was started because someone tried to buy two copies of this box, not 10,000. I doubt anyone on this thread would advocate Mosaic doing what you're suggesting.

BTW, understand that Mosaic has and continues to sell large blocks of sets to companies. How do you think Classic Records lists these sets in their catalog? Mosaic will sell large lots of their sets.

The whole thing I don't like about this is that Mosaic could have waited until after they mailed their latest catalog and warning their customers that the Byrd/Adams set was going fast before "lighting the fire" on the website. 30 per day didn't start until after the web notice. I bet they would have had plenty of sets for their catalog custimers if they hadn't done it this way.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Feel free to send me your Jimmy Smith set, any day!  :P

Hey, in exchange for a night's stay at the Hotel des Balances in Lucerne plus a fish dinner at the Rotes Gatter, I'd give you 20 Jimmy Smith boxes plus every Jimmy Smith JRVG & TOCJ in existence.....believe it!!!! grinyes.gif

You rather ask your bushims to come up for that, please! No way a poor student could come up for that... also, Lucerne is too tiny and too much of a dollhouse for my likings...

No way a poor student could come up for that.

Oh for goodness' sake!! ....put down the nopityA.gif for a minute! If half of you guys in w. europe would cut the university umbilical cord before the age of 30, you'd be out there at age 22 wheeling & dealing, screwing things up and stashing cash for Mosaics like the rest of us! :P

Just tried to order a copy and was advised it's already sold out.  :angry:

Went from running low to sold out in only two days.

Actually, it went from "Last Chance" (a higher level of alert than "Running Low") to sold out in eight days, FWIW, but it still went relatively quickly.

Placed an order for 2 Byrd/Adams sets today via Mosiac web-site. One for me, one for a friend; and got this email from Mosaic -

Thank you for your recent order for the Byrd/Adams. As you are aware the set is on Last Chance and all of our customers have not yet received the catalog and therefore have not been advised of the situation. As many customers wait

until the set is running low, we want to afford them the opportunity to

purchase the set and therefore we are only processing single sets for

customers.  We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs!

I wonder if members of the Politburo are aware...

Hey, if these Mosaic customers were SO loyal, they could have ordered this set years ago.

Just tried to order a copy and was advised it's already sold out.  :angry:

Actually, it went from "Last Chance" (a higher level of alert than "Running Low") to sold out in eight days, FWIW, but it still went relatively quickly.

Maybe Blue Note plans to re-issue some of the albums on CD, so they wanted the Mosaic box set to expire?

As I said in this thread, limiting the sales to one per customer didn't save this for the catalog customers. I think there's just too many of us rabid Mosaic fans hooked up to the Internet. If they're really concerned about their catalog customers, they're gonna have to wanr them earlier.

If they have a set that they think might sell out soon, they should list it in the next catalog.

BTW, this set selling out is a good thing for Mosaic. If you missed out, just remember that and it might soften the blow. :)

Kevin

These sets usually go to "Running Low" way before they drop into the "Last Chance" category and sit there for many weeks. So, it usually wouldn't be a problem for the "catalog only" customers.

I wonder what the story is behind it's quick appearance on the "Last Chance" list.

Just tried to order a copy and was advised it's already sold out.   :angry:

From my Father's Day email from Mosaid of only two days ago:

"RUNNING LOW/LAST CHANCE

We have just added The Complete Blue Note Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Studio Sessions to our Running Low category. "

"RUNNING LOW/LAST CHANCE

We have just added The Complete Blue Note Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Studio Sessions to our Running Low category. "

Then you missed this thread I started eight days ago when I first noticed the Byrd/Adams set in the "Last Chance" category on Mosaic's site (I try to check it daily). :(

"RUNNING LOW/LAST CHANCE

Then you missed this thread I started eight days ago when I first noticed the Byrd/Adams set in the "Last Chance" category on Mosaic's site (I try to check it daily). :(

I haven't visited Organissimo in a while. Wasn't listed as a LC or RL the last time I checked Mosaic a few weeks back. Guess I have to be more diligent in my checking.

Oh for goodness' sake!! ....put down the nopityA.gif for a minute!    If half of you guys in w. europe would cut the university umbilical cord before the age of 30, you'd be out there at age 22 wheeling & dealing, screwing things up and stashing cash for Mosaics like the rest of us!  :P

:lol::lol:

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT? And charged you for how many??? Wasn't there one board member who really wanted it and missed out????

FYI after picking up and listening to that set, I coughed up a few $ for the At the Half Note Double CD... Giving it a spin, right now.... :tup: :)

The weirdness continues.

Mosaic sent me 4 Byrd-Adams sets......:huh:

I just got my catalogue with the warning!

Got mine too, yesterday. Funny, very funny! Glad the set is in... they should try and get their act together a little bit, and send the foreign catalogues not by rowing boat (or maybe they have some crazy guy swimming accross the atlantic?) - I really don't understand why their catalogue gets delivered so late over here!

<_<

I just got my catalogue, and hadn't checked this site or the Mosaic site in some time. Sad to say I missed this one... I have Royal Flush, and would have dug this without a doubt. Also, I just spent a 100 dollar gift certificate on some Selects a few months ago, and could have saved it for this one.

Too bad.