Favorite 1965 John Coltrane Quartet album

Guy Berger

What is your favorite 1965 John Coltrane Quartet album  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think this is all amazing music -- my favorite period from this group. A Love Supreme probably belongs on this list stylistically (rather than with the earlier stuff) but I thought including it would distort the poll results. I also didn't include some of the unofficial recordings from the Half Note (coming out soon, I hope!) or Europe -- these are great, you can vote for them on "other" if you prefer.

(Yeah, I know "Nature Boy" (on Quartet Plays) is a quintet.)

Anyway, my favorite is Sun Ship. The most focused and intense -- this is where it all came together, a blueprint for a certain kind of playing, a group that went about as far as it could go and it was pretty damn far. It's hard for me to put some of the May and June stuff without thinking that I should be listening to this instead.

I'll post more thoughts later if they come to me.

Guy

if you had asked me in '65 i probably could have given you an answer, or if you had included '63 or '64. imo the avant-garde section of his discography does not hold up today(although I got hooked on jazz by the promise and afro blue from "Live AT Birdland"). Today I prefer Blue Trane, A Love Supreme, Crescent, Giant Steps and The Bethlehem Years and his sideman work with miles over the avant garde stuff.............mrjazzman

"First Meditations" is my choice for sure. I've connected with it very strongly since I first bought the LP back in 1979; it's been right up there with "A Love Supreme" for me. I think it's a mellower meditation than Trane's better known "Meditations", and I prefer the experience.

"Sun Ship" is my other favorite on this list. "Kulu Se Mama" and "Interstellar Space" are the only other Trane recordings from after this that I often listen to.

"First Meditations" is my choice for sure.  I've connected with it very strongly since I first bought the LP back in 1979; it's been right up there with "A Love Supreme" for me.  I think it's a mellower meditation than Trane's better known "Meditations", and I prefer the experience.

"Serenity" is heaaaaaaaaaaaaaavy on the quartet version... incredible.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

For some reason I've passed on "First Meditatons," and I don't know why. Now maybe I shouldn't.

Still, my favorite Trane from this period falls with Ascension and the stuff he did on the West Coast with Pharaoh, Donald Garrett et al. The tracks from New Thing at Newport and The New Wave in Jazz are great, but with both albums the spotlight appears to be on the other groups...