SUPERTRAMP FANS?

crime of the century is an amazing album. :)

may be but -- what's the title -- "school" really sucks with the high pitched voice and the cruddy music. Skip that and you got a dandy album.

the early stuff like the self titled album and indelibly stamped is pretty much okay in that middle of the road kinda vein. some fun moments on those.

• 3 months later...

I'm listening to Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies as I type these words. Some of the popular music groups I used to enjoy, such as Styx, I've outgrown through the years. But, Supertramp... as I listen to the music, the voices and words... I'm reminded of why I used to like the group so very much.

When BREAKFAST IN AMERICA was a new release I just couldn't get over how completely fantastic it was. I purchased the record and copied it to a cassette tape back in 1979. I wore out three different cassette tapes in the years that followed the release of the record album. I still have my copy of the original record album somewhere my closet.

At this moment I'm listening to the FAMOUS LAST WORDS album. While not the best of Supertramp, still, a great set of tunes that bring back memories of many hours of listening pleasure.

B000069HJI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I used to listen to FAMOUS LAST WORDS on my Walkman as I rode the bus ten miles to where I went to high school (in Idaho). The bus would drive through ten miles of wind, snow and ice to get us to our education destination. I'd sit on the bus, wrapped in my heavy coat, looking out the window and waiting for the seat to get warm. I had all sorts of thoughts running through my mind as I listened Supertramp's lyrics.

After spending every year since high school in the warm climate of Arizona, I still enjoy Supertramp but have NO desire to return to the below zero temperatures of the north country.

Edited by wesbed

Too weird.

I discovered Supertramp in 1979 with the release of BREAKFAST IN AMERICA. In all the years since '79 I've never heard too much bad about Supertramp. Most of the folks in my life who know who Supertramp is have nothing but positive remarks about the group.

To my ears, Supertramp is on the sophisticated and adult side of popular music vis-a-vis Steely Dan and The Police. Supertramp utilized sophisticated lyrics mixed with the bluesy and melancholy vocal styles of Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson. One nicely off-set by the other. A little jazzy (but not really), a little bluesy, a little folksy, a little carnival, and a little rock-n-roll. An amazing mixture of styles.

Not that matters. Everybody has his own opinion. Still, I'm surprised the Supertramp vibe on this board is so negative.

Fek me. :unsure:

Still, I'm surprised the Supertramp vibe on this board is so negative.

The usual arrogance when threads like this one pop up?

arrogance: overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors.

i'm feeling neither proud nor superior, i just don't like their music and never did. deal with it, it's called personal taste.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm listening to Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies as I type these words. Some of the popular music groups I used to enjoy, such as Styx, I've outgrown through the years. But, Supertramp... as I listen to the music, the voices and words... I'm reminded of why I used to like the group so very much.

When BREAKFAST IN AMERICA was a new release I just couldn't get over how completely fantastic it was. I purchased the record and copied it to a cassette tape back in 1979. I wore out three different cassette tapes in the years that followed the release of the record album. I still have my copy of the original record album somewhere my closet.

At this moment I'm listening to the FAMOUS LAST WORDS album. While not the best of Supertramp, still, a great set of tunes that bring back memories of many hours of listening pleasure.

B000069HJI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I used to listen to FAMOUS LAST WORDS on my Walkman as I rode the bus ten miles to where I went to high school (in Idaho). The bus would drive through ten miles of wind, snow and ice to get us to our education destination. I'd sit on the bus, wrapped in my heavy coat, looking out the window and waiting for the seat to get warm. I had all sorts of thoughts running through my mind as I listened Supertramp's lyrics.

After spending every year since high school in the warm climate of Arizona, I still enjoy Supertramp but have NO desire to return to the below zero temperatures of the north country.

Just bought Breakfast on CD after owning various formats in high school 25 years ago. It still is a cool record. Just Another Nervous Wreck is a favorite.

• 7 months later...

I'm listening to Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies as I type these words. Some of the popular music groups I used to enjoy, such as Styx, I've outgrown through the years.

I can identify with this sentiment, although as Uncle Skid will tell you, I still have a soft spot for Styx.

I'm listening to Retrospectacle right now (picked it up for $8.99, not bad for a 2-CD set). I think this may be a case of the memory of the song being better than the real thing. I mean, I'll always like "Bloody Well Right" and "Give a Little Bit," mainly because those are the ones that actually rocked. I'd never heard "Sister Moonshine" before this collection, and what a sprightly bit o' sunshine that is.

But there's other songs that I remember enjoying a lot more back then than I do now. "Cannonball" for instance. Bleah!

And then there's the vocal harmonies that sound like Bee Gees on helium. Pretty grating after a while.

I guess I had to be there.

• 4 years later...