Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"

keberobeats88

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I ask what you folks think of Branford Marsalis' DVD/CD combo of this same title ("Coltrane's a Love Supreme")?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What a lame assed attempt at credibility.

"Hey, let's put on a show! We can play earlier music AND be praised for knowing it is worthwhile! Just like the classical guys did with music before there were recordings of the originators. I bet we can make more money than the real artists."

Supreme #50A

Written by Alan Moore. The Supreme Story of the Year Part 10: "A Love Supreme." Sparks fly between Ethan Crane and his coworker Diana Dane, but Ethan's checkered romantic history as Supreme makes him hesitate. And 3 flashback stories Part 1: “The Suburbanite Supreme!" Part 2: “A Marriage made in Heaven!” and Part 3: “Domestic Glory!” Chris Sprouse (c/p) on the main story and Rick Veitch (a) on the 12 pages of flashback sequences. This issue was released with 2 different covers.

July 1997 24 pages

Edited by Kalo

Dare I ask what you folks think of Branford Marsalis' DVD/CD combo of this same title ("Coltrane's a Love Supreme")?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What a lame assed attempt at credibility.

"Hey, let's put on a show! We can play earlier music AND be praised for knowing it is worthwhile! Just like the classical guys did with music before there were recordings of the originators. I bet we can make more money than the real artists."

Well, obviously there are lots of things that call themselves "Love Supreme" (some good, most probably not-so-good). But after listening to Branford Marsalis' CD and watching the first half hour of live concert footage of the two-hour DVD, I'd have to say that Marsalis, "Tain" Watts, and pianist Joey Calderazzo deserve kudos for their work. I can't say I worship or even "get" a lot of Coltrane's work, and I'm not overly fond of everything Marsalis, but I don't write off what Branford has done as unworthy of praise or lacking in credibility.