Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"

keberobeats88

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the album.....but still prefer "Crescent" from that period

Same here, but I've been coming around to finding them fairly equal to each other.

Big step considering I used to think A Love Supreme was his most overrated album...

Oddly enough, it was hearing Branford's quartet cover it on Footsteps Of Our Fathers that made me revisit it at the time. I have found it more impressive with each listen, although I'm still a huge First Meditations and Sun Ship guy.

All things considered, I prefer the live version, and by a pretty good margin. But still...

I really need to revisit the live version. I actually only listened to it once or twice when that Deluxe Edition came out. I was so blown away by the superior sound of the studio recording that I kept returning to it. Which seems kinda dopey considering what a fireball that group was live, especially in '65.

This album was my entryway into the whole world of jazz. Pulled it off a browser in the college library in the fall of 1972 because I had heard Coltrane's name mentioned as an impact on the Byrds and the Jefferson Airplane, put it on the turntable in the library, listened through headphones while I cranked out a paper for English Comp 101, and was hooked for life as soon as I heard Elvin Jones enter in following the opening fanfare.