If you like your Jelly spicy...

Christiern

Nothing bad about having all the music in one place.

I agree with Chuck. I got the previous release as a gift and I'm very happy with it, though I'll seriously consider getting this complete issue...

But I would keep the earlier release as a convenience.

I have the previous Rounders. Don't play them that often, but OTOH couldn't live without them either. And certainly, I'll be keeping even if I splurge on the new set.

The talking bits will likely be played even less than the music, but nice to have. And the new book and packaging will make it very tempting.

Much will depend on the price.

I had a conversation with Scott Billington of Rounder about this release just today. The set will contain 8 CD's, seven of them containing the complete unexpurgated recordings. The eighth disc will contain a pdf file with a full transcript of all of the conversation. The mastering is all new, directly from the original acetates, and Scott described a new Cedar process that has been used in places to remove noise. I usually roll my eyes when Cedar is mentioned, but according to Scott, this new process is not detrimental to the music.

The packaging will be in a wooden (I think) box that resembles a piano, and one has to open the top to get at the CD's. Sounds like they're aiming for a design Grammy. :P

The set will also will include a copy of John Lomax's great book "Mister Jelly Roll".

they shoulda done it right the first time -

I guarantee that if they'd released the whole schmear first, someone would have complained that it was overkill and asked why they didn't release just the music.

There's no pleasing some folks :D

I like to think that they did it right, twice.