Organ Cds That ARE NOT Greazzzzyyyy..

Soulstation1

I suspect you might get thrown out of the Organ Players Guild for referring to Messiaen as a page turner!

He probably has a ruler to hand (or being a devout Catholic, one of those whips with knots in it), ready to whack her across the knuckles for every wrong note.

Sweet! That's what I need! But instead of some old dude, it would be a really hot chick with leather and a whip and ...

... oh wait.... getting a little personal here.

:huh:

:w

I gotta go now.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Good Q. on whether Larry Young is greazzzzy or not, I don't personally find Larry all that greasy on 'Unity', 'Of Love and Peace', or 'Mother Ship'. He seems to be somewhat looser on 'Into Somethin',' but Sam makes sure that there's still an edge on that disk. Have not heard 'Contrasts' or 'Heaven on Earth' so I cannot comment on those, nor am I all too familiar with his Prestige or Arista material. Needless to say, Larry Young is a badazz and I have enjoyed all of the recordings that I have heard him on, in particular, the ones with Grant Green :tup

Good Q. on whether Larry Young is greazzzzy or not

I'd say he was baaad, but not that greazy - not nearly as much as the Turbanator or anybody else. But he was baaad!

(If he would have been more greazy, his two Arista LPs would have made it!)

I agree, and like him all the better for it.

Good Q. on whether Larry Young is greazzzzy or not, I don't personally find Larry all that greasy on 'Unity', 'Of Love and Peace', or 'Mother Ship'. He seems to be somewhat looser on 'Into Somethin',' but Sam makes sure that there's still an edge on that disk. Have not heard 'Contrasts' or 'Heaven on Earth' so I cannot comment on those, nor am I all too familiar with his Prestige or Arista material. Needless to say, Larry Young is a badazz and I have enjoyed all of the recordings that I have heard him on, in particular, the ones with Grant Green :tup

I think 'Groove Street' and 'Testifyin' are extra greeeazy.

Yes, he was the greaziest on his early Prestige LPs, but chose to go for sophistication rather than the obvious - that's what makes him unique.

Thinking about it - Don Patterson was a master at matching greaze with sophistication!

I'm afraid i don't own 'Young Blues' or the Jimmy Forrest OJC with Young, i assume they're of the greazy sort, right?

Yes, he was the greaziest on his early Prestige LPs, but chose to go for sophistication rather than the obvious - that's what makes him unique.

Thinking about it - Don Patterson was a master at matching greaze with sophistication!

I'm afraid i don't own 'Young Blues' or the Jimmy Forrest OJC with Young, i assume they're of the greazy sort, right?

Yes - I think you need both of those :D

I have a VERY non-greasy organ record: "Hey Jude" by Jimmy Caravan - Vault 9007. Caravan was a member of Captain Beefheart's band. He tries a few greasy jazz tunes like "Mustang", Nat Adderley's "Cyclops" as well as Trane's "Equinox" and a few soul numbers - "Dock of the bay" & "Walk on by". But he really can't do it. It's an amazingly inept album.

MG

Looks like you got four (!) more CDs on your wish list:

f78038ud9h7.jpgf78295qfmx3.jpg

f35828t69vp.jpgf78069qel1e.jpg

Then there is the 2/3 album with Booker Ervin on a Prestige compilation, but that's not an indispensable item:

e27117oqzc4.jpg

Looks like you got four (!) more CDs on your wish list:

f78038ud9h7.jpgf78295qfmx3.jpg

f35828t69vp.jpgf78069qel1e.jpg

Then there is the 2/3 album with Booker Ervin on a Prestige compilation, but that's not an indispensable item:

e27117oqzc4.jpg

I've got 'Groove Street' and 'Testifyin' Both great! But yeah, i need forrest fire and young blues. Young Blues is on Newbury, i'm afraid i can only find Forrest Fire on concords site.

Actually, I suppose that Jack Wilson's "The Jazz organs", with Genghis Kyle and Henry Cain also on organs, isn't really all that greasy. Though it does have "Lonely Avenue" and "One mint julep" on it, it also has "For Carl" and Alfred Newman's "Street scene" (and what film did that gem come from?). And you wouldn't REALLY expect a whole lotta grease from Wislon, would you?

MG

Pretty much anything recorded before JOS came onto the scene. Just listened to "The Vice Pres. and the organ playing on that cd is ice rink stuff, and Count Basie was doing some of the playing on it. Does jazz ever owe a dig THANK YOU to Smith for his genius.

What what what!!!!

Wild Bill Davis, Milt Buckner, Bill Doggett, Doc Bagby, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Baby Face Willette, Hank Marr, Marlowe Morris, Ram Ramirez and Lou Bennett all started playing organ (and all but Smith were recorded) before JOS recorded (I may have forgotten one or two others). Probably Shirley Scott did too, and in all likelihood, to judge from his style, Mel Rhyne.

And if you don't think those guys are grease merchants...

MG

• 2 weeks later...