Blue Mitchell Riverside recordings

ASNL77

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall I like Blue's Riversides better. By the time he got to Blue Note, the label had settled somewhat into a formula. The Riversides offer a little more variety in instrumentation. My favorite is "Blue's Moods", a fabulous quartet date.

I agree with that pick. That is one of the best Blue Mitchell sessions I have heard.

• 10 months later...

I've always enjoyed the track "Smooth as the Wind," but haven't been able to find the CD of the same name; not on Amazon or anywhere! I'm hoping the fact that it's OOP means it's about to be released in the Keepnews series.

I do have Blue Soul and what a beauitful album that is. Can't go wrong with Jimmy Heath (playing AND arranging), Curtis Fuller, and the crack Riverside rhythm section of Wynton Kelly-Sam Jones-Philly Joe Jones. Based on this, I ordered all the other available Riversides of Mitchells. It seems to me that he was placed in different sized groups during his Riverside career, while his Blue Note output seemed to echo his setting within the Horace Silver Quintet. For that reason, I've never really cared for his Blue Note output, but I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy the Riversides.

Regardless of which label he was on, he possessed an absolutely gorgeous tone.

So, what do y'all think?

I agree with Clem, except I don't have "Stratosonic nuances" - silly me - and would also add

"Summer soft" on Impulse - another to find on LP

Louis Bellson - Jam with Blue Mitchell - Pablo (OJC) - quite a bitch of an album.

I think I enjoy the Riversides just as much as I enjoy the Blue Notes. And I enjoy the Blue Notes just as much as I enjoy the Riversides. And just as much as the Horace Slivers. And almost anything with Blue on it. That sound of his hits me much as Grant Green's, Jug's, Gator's or Sonny Criss' do.

MG

I've always enjoyed the track "Smooth as the Wind," but haven't been able to find the CD of the same name; not on Amazon or anywhere! I'm hoping the fact that it's OOP means it's about to be released in the Keepnews series.

NO

Drat!

It seems to me that he was placed in different sized groups during his Riverside career, while his Blue Note output seemed to echo his setting within the Horace Silver Quintet.

seems ... ???

Meaning that either he or Lion decided Blue needed to keep going with the Silver Quintet formula. Only problem was, IMO, without Silver it ain't the same. Corea's great but he ain't Horace.

Smooth As the Wind is the only one I don't have, and you're making me feel good about that.

Knowing how you feel about strings, I'd say you definitely wouldn't dig it.

Don't get it folks, what's wrong with strings, when they're arranged as well as on this album, by Tadd Dameron? Come on...

MG

maybe as a twofer with Mating Call...

just listening to Out of the Blue, i think that one is my favorite out of the ones i have (Smooth as the wind, Sure Thing and Blue's Moods)

Smooth As the Wind is the only one I don't have, and you're making me feel good about that.

Don't get it folks, what's wrong with strings, when they're arranged as well as on this album, by Tadd Dameron? Come on...

MG

Hey, I've got absolutely nothing against strings. Except when they're unnecessary.

MG

Hey, I've got absolutely nothing against strings. Except when they're unnecessary.

Not to the artists involved. They asked for 'em or the record company wouldn't pay the money. Much cheaper to do a quintet.

Take it up with Blue, Bird, Sarah, Lee, etc.