Blue Mitchell Riverside recordings

ASNL77

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Blue Mitchell's Riverside sides (always wanted to use that phrase) better than his Blue Notes - heresy, perhaps, around here, but just a personal opinion.

I can recommend Blue's Moods, Out of the Blue, Blue Soul, and The Cup Bearers with no hesitation.

Big Six seems to be pretty highly regarded, but I've yet to be able to get into that one, even though Wilbur Ware plays on it and his presence would normally make it a must for me. I'll have to keep listening to it.

I like Blue Mitchell's Riverside sides (always wanted to use that phrase) better than his Blue Notes - heresy, perhaps, around here, but just a personal opinion.

I can recommend Blue's Moods, Out of the Blue, Blue Soul, and The Cup Bearers with no hesitation.

Big Six seems to be pretty highly regarded, but I've yet to be able to get into that one, even though Wilbur Ware plays on it and his presence would normally make it a must for me. I'll have to keep listening to it.

No heresy at all----I tend to like the Riversides better too, Paul.

I also really like Big Six, though. I'd say you can start with any one of them and rest assured that you're getting good value. Go for it!

No heresy at all----I tend to like the Riversides better too, Paul.

I also really like Big Six, though.

I fully agree.

My favorite Riversides are

Big 6, with Curtis Fuller, Johnny Griffin, Wynton Kelly, Wilbur Ware, and Philly Joe Jones

Out of the Blue, quintet sides with Benny Golson, Wynton Kelly or Cedar Walton, Paul Chambers or Sam Jones, and Art Blakey

Blue Soul, quartet/sextet sides with Curtis Fuller, Jimmy Heath, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones, and Philly Joe Jones

Blue's Moods, quartet sides with Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones, and Roy Brooks

A Sure Thing, quintet/nonet sides with Clark Terry, Julius Watkins, Jerome Richardson, Jimmy Heath, Pepper Adams or Pat Patrick, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones, and Albert Heath

The Cup Bearers, quintet sides with Junior Cook, Cedar Walton, Gene Taylor, and Roy Brooks

Edited to correct an album title.

Edited by J.A.W.

Overall I like Blue's Riversides better. By the time he got to Blue Note, the label had settled somewhat into a formula. The Riversides offer a little more variety in instrumentation. My favorite is "Blue's Moods", a fabulous quartet date.

I bought this on cassette long ago and only now I am fixing that by splurging on the JVC XRCD version of this, only $19.99 right now at Red Trumpet.

As to the thread topic, no need, IMO, to pick one label over the other. Blue was a very fine trumpet player, and all his albums from this period - Riverside, BN, with the Silver Quintet - have much to recommend them.

I bought Blue Soul a while back and it's really been growing on me. It's the only Blue Mitchell leader session I own... so far.

Not only does Blue Soul feature Curtis Fuller, Jimmy Heath, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones, and Philly Joe Jones, it also boasts arrangements by Heath and Benny Golson (including a killer version of Silver's "Nica's Dream").

I'm a big Riverside fan; like 'em as much or more than BN.

Edited by Kalo

• 1 year later...

Let's not overlook 'Smooth as the Wind', the one with strings and arrangements by Tadd Dameron (also Benny Golson).

Blue Mitchell's playing on that one is nothing short of brillant.

YESSSS! I was wondering when someone was going to mention this. After "Blues moods" this is my favourite Blue Riverside album.

MG

tom--

Not to make you feel bad or sad, but I'm now listening to the original copy of this I scored at the Philadelphia Record Exchange for five bucks. I have to say--next time you have the opportunity, DO NOT pass it up. It's terrific stuff. Nice slow burner. Get it! Or PM me...I might be able to do something "electronically"!

:D

B000000YVQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg God knows how many times I had this recording in my hands only to walk out with something else. :angry: