The Vault is about to be opened...

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the three pieces he does not have the rights to?

Bertrand.

In March 2004 Downbeat, "out of the material I've written, I own just about all of it... There are only three songs I've written that I can never get back from the publishers I originally put it with, and they are not that popular: 'Opus De Funk,' 'Silverware' and 'Buhaina.'

True story -

There is a local "Show & Revue" R&B bandleader around here who holds regular mandatory, marathon rehearsals for his crew. You don't show up early and stay late, you lose the gig, simple as that. Get hungry? Not a problem - his wife will fix you a hot dog ($1.00) or a sammich ($3.50) right on the spot. Ditto on beverages. Need a pack of smokes? $7.50 will get you a pack from this bandleader's private supply. And so on...

Of course, if you don't have the cash on you, it can easily be deducted from your next check, which, it probably goes without saying, is waaaay below scale in the first place.

Needless to say, this band (and it's a huge one - 6 horn players, 5 female vocalists - is populated by people who either can't get other gigs or else just haven't yet learned how to get other gigs. But the "Company Store" type bandleader is not at all as uncommon as you might think.

True story -

There is a local "Show & Revue" R&B bandleader around here who holds regular mandatory, marathon rehearsals for his crew. You don't show up early and stay late, you lose the gig, simple as that. Get hungry? Not a problem - his wife will fix you a hot dog ($1.00) or a sammich ($3.50) right on the spot. Ditto on beverages. Need a pack of smokes? $7.50 will get you a pack from this bandleader's private supply. And so on...

Of course, if you don't have the cash on you, it can easily be deducted from your next check, which, it probably goes without saying, is waaaay below scale in the first place.

Needless to say, this band (and it's a huge one - 6 horn players, 5 female vocalists - is populated by people who either can't get other gigs or else just haven't yet learned how to get other gigs. But the "Company Store" type bandleader is not at all as uncommon as you might think.

And do the band members have to pick up their checks at the union hall because the leader won't spring for postage stamps? There was a bandleader in KC like that.

True story -

And do the band members have to pick up their checks at the union hall because the leader won't spring for postage stamps? There was a bandleader in KC like that.

WHAT union? :g:g:g

how come this is turning into a "Scrooge Bandleader" thread?

It's not, it's just taking one of those patented Organissimo Thread Detours.

based on what? some patented non-specified hearsay anecdotal thread-crap?

I like those detours, as long as they stay positive. I do not think it is very nice to have a thread about Horace Silver and then fill it with all the shitty bandleader stories we can come up with. Somehow that strikes me wrong.

I like those detours, as long as they stay positive. I do not think it is very nice to have a thread about Horace Silver and then fill it with all the shitty bandleader stories we can come up with. Somehow that strikes me wrong.

Well, my story ain't hearsay, and it's got nothing to do with Horace Silver, but it does play to the notion of Company Store Bandleaders, of whom I bear no particular ill-will. It's an old-school way of doing business, and it's served many a bandleader's business quite well over the years. Ray Charles was another one - a good friend quit the gig when he realized that, in his words, "the real object of the job wasn't to make music, it was to see how much of your money you could hold onto each week".

Athough I myself don't get involved in it, I look at this type of dealing as part of the Cultural Landscape Of Professional Musicianhood. Nothing really "negative" to it, just "local color", if you will. It's something you run into at all levels, and it's in no way a reflection of anybody's talent or artistry or how I feel about same. I love Ray Charles, and I love Horace Silver, and given the opportunity, I would play their Company Store games, at least for a little while, just to get an up-close-and-personal taste of thier unique genius-ness.

Hell, if only "saints" made this music, it wouldn't get made! :g:g:g

:tup

Or they can't get away because they already owe the boss so much money; the real point of the "Company store" operations.

MG