Peter Brotzmann

Jazzmoose

Help! I just listened to For Adolphe Sax and I think my ears fell off! Hello? Hello? Assuming the bleeding stops and I recover, can anyone out there fill me in on where this record would fit into Brotzmann's work (best? worst? average?) and where you would suggest looking next?

Please type loudly... :wacko:

Edited by Jazzmoose

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you enjoyed the bleeding and your ears falling off I would suggest listening to Machine Gun next, as it would be my choice for the essential early Brotz disc. FAS has gotten pretty much consistently positive reviews that I have seen. Other discs from that era that would be easy to pick up would be Balls, Nipples, More Nipples and F*ck De Boere.

My personal recommendation would be to start with later Brotz. One of the Die Like a Dog discs with Hamid Drake and William Parker - Little Birds Have Fast Hearts 1 or 2, for example. Or the WELS concert on Okkadisc. The Dried Rat Dog, which is a duo disc w/ Hamid Drake is essential also.

My top choice is unfortunately way OOP but worth tracking down if at all possible. Live at the Empty Bottle w/ Drake and Kent Kessler. This disc absolutely smokes!

Hmmm. I think I'll take your advice, John, and try something later. I grabbed For Adolphe Sax only because it was a title I'd heard of before. In all honesty, I didn't realize until I got home that it was from the sixties. (Jeez, this came out at the same time as the "revolutionary" Sgt. Pepper? Hah!)

Actually, it was enjoyable to a degree. Of course, if I hadn't been listening to Jim Sangrey's discs this year beforehand, it probably would have caused a massive coronary... :g

Edited by Jazzmoose

What John said. Machine Gun is outright aggressive but lots of fun. And the Die Like A Dog discs, especially the Little Birds volumes, are desert island wares for me. If you like those seek out the FMP's with Mangelsdorff, Van Hove and Bennink.

The most accessible Brotzmann, IMO, is The Wels Concert, with Hamid Drake and guembri player Mahmoud Gania. You can listen one of the tracks here. It's fairly subdued compared to those listed above.

Edited by Joe Christmas

speaking of Peter Kowald (indirectly) and Brotz, I can't believe I forgot to recommend his most recent disc on Eremite - Never Too Late But Always Too Early, a live set w/ Drake and Parker recorded in Montreal in April of 2001. This set is dedicated to the memory of Kowald. This is a phenomenal set! 2 discs for $22 direct from Eremite.

Edited by John B

• 1 year later...

I've now listened to Never Too Late But Always Too Early for the third time in two days, and this cd is a stone-cold jazz classic. Playing that is on such a high level that it begs description. Just the first nineteen minutes of this cd will melt your speakers. But it's not just your typical wide open Brotzmann; there is also a quiet, relflective side to this music that makes for a great listening experience. It is a great way to enter Brotzmann's musical world. :tup

Based on reviews I have read another "accessible" Brotz would be Tales out of Time, on Hat, with Joe McPhee, Kent Kessler and Michael Zerang. I have yet to hear it but it will be part of my next order.

I haven't listened to that one for quite a while now, but from what I remember it is one of Brötzmann's better albums.

Guest Chaney

Anyone else having a problem with Brotzmann / Ellis / Eneidi / Krall: Live At Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015)?

Just received it (yesterday), played the first firestorm of a track and had to run and hide. I like fire but felt that no.1 was excessive. Brotzmann SCREAMING! Eneidi SCREAMING! Once these two start up, I can't imagine how the recording engineer could possibly cope. (Sounds like he also ran and hid. Once these two begin to wail, the saxes seem sonically pushed to the back of the stage.)

Not to worry though. It's not unusual for me to go all girlie on the first listen to a Brotzmann CD.

I'll put it aside for another day.

Edited by Chaney

Anyone else having a problem with Brotzmann / Ellis / Eneidi / Krall: Live At Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015)?

Just received it (yesterday), played the first firestorm of a track and had to run and hide. I like fire but felt that no.1 was excessive. Brotzmann SCREAMING! Eneidi SCREAMING! Once these two start up, I can't imagine how the recording engineer could possibly cope. (Sounds like he also ran and hid. Once these two begin to wail, the saxes seem sonically pushed to the back of the stage.)

Not to worry though. It's not unusuall for me to go all girlie on the first listen to a Brotzmann CD.

I can't wait to hear this one. I don't know when I would be able to play it, though. Perhaps some long car ride when no one is around to be bothered.

Not to worry though. It's not unusuall for me to go all girlie on the first listen to a Brotzmann CD.

now pu-lleaze, mister, that IS discriminating!

And I always knew those Russian didn't know how to think historical - if they don't even get the sense of chronology...

ubu :party:

Guest Chaney

Anyone else having a problem with Brotzmann / Ellis / Eneidi / Krall:  Live At Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015)?

Just received it (yesterday), played the first firestorm of a track and had to run and hide.  I like fire but felt that no.1 was excessive.  Brotzmann SCREAMING!  Eneidi SCREAMING!  Once these two start up, I can't imagine how the recording engineer could possibly cope.  (Sounds like he also ran and hid.  Once these two begin to wail, the saxes seem sonically pushed to the back of the stage.)

Not to worry though.  It's not unusuall for me to go all girlie on the first listen to a Brotzmann CD.

I can't wait to hear this one. I don't know when I would be able to play it, though. Perhaps some long car ride when no one is around to be bothered.

Track one will clear traffic from the road!

You will be very alone.

^_^

Anyone else having a problem with Brotzmann / Ellis / Eneidi / Krall:  Live At Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015)?

Just received it (yesterday), played the first firestorm of a track and had to run and hide.  I like fire but felt that no.1 was excessive.  Brotzmann SCREAMING!  Eneidi SCREAMING!  Once these two start up, I can't imagine how the recording engineer could possibly cope.  (Sounds like he also ran and hid.  Once these two begin to wail, the saxes seem sonically pushed to the back of the stage.)

Not to worry though.  It's not unusuall for me to go all girlie on the first listen to a Brotzmann CD.

Track one will clear traffic from the road!

You will be very alone.

^_^

I will have to make photos of Swiss roads - lakes, moiuntains, sunflower fields, herds of cows, and all that - Broetzmann/Eneidi seems just a perfect soundtrack for a long ride (well, till first police car, from my experience).

Nice to see such an interest in Broetzmann's ouevre on this board - a further goes to show that it's not just these Funny Rat freaks who listen to this stuff...

err....

wait a minute...

Edited by Д.Д.

Yeah Live at Spruce Street Forum is great! Yep, lots of racket--nice to know Peter's not mellowed hopelessly. Most of the other albums & concerts I've heard of his lately with Drake, Parker &c have been rather too dignified.

Tales Out of Time is interesting but a bit mixed perhaps. It does however have one completely magnificent track, the tribute to Fred Hopkins.