Peter Brotzmann

Jazzmoose

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you feel like an adventure, Brozmann's early cds are very interesting. Machine Gun, of course, is a clarian call for "Free-Jazz", plus it is an amazing record to listen to. Each time I play it, I don't know whether to throw it against the wall, or play it again. I've really have come to like 1973 - FMP130, and very strange and creative mix of noise, beauty, yelling, and just a different musical experience.

Edit: bad spelling

Edited by Matthew

Based on reviews I have read another "accessible" Brotz would be Tales out of Time, on Hat, with Joe McPhee, Kent Kessler and Michael Zerang. I have yet to hear it but it will be part of my next order.

It's a very nice one. Maybe a bit more 'inside' than some of his other recent releases.

Anyone else having a problem with Brotzmann / Ellis / Eneidi / Krall:  Live At Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015)?

I can't wait to hear this one. I don't know when I would be able to play it, though. Perhaps some long car ride when no one is around to be bothered.

Just be careful.

The driver of this vehicle got distracted while listening to a Brotzmann CD. Don't let this happen to you!

photo3.jpg

Wow...this thread started over a year ago? Wonder if I've listened to anything else by the man in that time...hmmm.

I'd have to say my favorite so far is the Die Like A Dog disc From Valley to Valley. But then I have yet to find a bad disc with Hamid Drake. (If you know of one, I'm not looking for "shitty Hamid Drake" recommendations; thank you anyway! :g )

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having a problem with Brotzmann / Ellis / Eneidi / Krall: Live At Spruce Street Forum (Botticelli 1015)?

]

What's the problem?

(Just bought this one last night from Lisle Ellis, who was playing in Santa Cruz with What We Live and remarkable singer, Saadet Turkoz).

What do you think of this disc so far? I also bought a copy at a What We Live show and I love it! Such a glorious cacophany.

Yeah I've been listening to it a fair bit lately & still think it's marvellous. The first & last tracks in particular--the middle tracks are relatively polite (you know, they take turns to solo) but the openers & closers are just brutal, all-in juggernaut performances. I particularly like the way that the core trio just jumps in & gets going & Brotz hangs back a bit, coming in a bit late--they don't "support" him or extend any courtesy, they just blare away & dare him to come in. & whereas Brotz sometimes sounds a bit too rationalized on recent discs--loud, but not passionate--he really sounds friggin' nuts on some of these tracks.

I particularly like the way that the core trio just jumps in & gets going & Brotz hangs back a bit, coming in a bit late--they don't "support" him or extend any courtesy, they just blare away & dare him to come in.

That is a very good description...I found the tension increasing quite a bit at the start of the first track as I listened to Eneidi, Ellis and Krall wail away and I waited and waited, knowing that Brotz was about to enter the fray and wondering how much higher they could take the intensity.

• 2 months later...

the liner notes to "dried rat dog" state that brotzmann once broke a rib blowing his sax.

is this true? :blink:

details please!

:)

I've heard a story abour torn blood vessel on the neck.

A lot of violent mythology surrounds this Brötzmann guy.

Did you like the Dried Rat Dog?

i did like it. i think i'm starting to "get" him.

this is a kind of music that you can't think about, you just have to let it sink into you and let yourself be carried along with it.

B-)

• 11 years later...
  • 6 years later...

For me the best Tentet recordings are 2 of the last 3 later ones:

Walk, Love, Sleep 2 CD set from April 22, 2011

3 Days in Oslo February 2009 5 CD box with 1st & 5th CD being the full band

first 5-6 minutes of the set on disc 5 of the latter is among the most incredible slabs of fierce live music put on disc ever. 

these 4 sets are recorded in up-front sound and the band is burning, blazing hot throughout 

as good as the earlier recordings with Drake are (with notated music), I still struggle with them to some extent as they only offer a tiny sliver of what it was like to see the band live. Still the best live show of any kind I’ve ever seen were the 2 sets at Tonic in NYC on their second time through the States. Of the earlier discs Stone/Water comes closest to capturing the absurd energy & power of the mighty band.

as an aside a great recording of a small Brotzmann group is Yatagarasu with Sato & Moriyama / on not two records

The great man hits some incredible peaks and the pianist & drummer are pure fire. Two 30 minute pieces with Peter really building up momentum. Not sure I’ve ever heard a pianist more suited to his playing / including Van Hove. 

fwiw over the years the more I listen the more there is to hear from Brotzmann. This seems contradictory due to his singular approach but there is a depth to his playing and sound that is unmatched by the vast majority of musicians. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

fwiw over the years the more I listen the more there is to hear from Brotzmann. This seems contradictory due to his singular approach but there is a depth to his playing and sound that is unmatched by the vast majority of musicians. 

I couldn't agree more.

Also, I rate that Oslo box very highly.

Seeing the Tentet+2 at Oto was one of the most extraordinary live musical experiences of 45 years attending gigs. I realise now that I haven't bought any Tentet albums since the gig, probably subconsciously thinking they're never going to match up.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I couldn't agree more.

Also, I rate that Oslo box very highly.

Seeing the Tentet+2 at Oto was one of the most extraordinary live musical experiences of 45 years attending gigs. I realise now that I haven't bought any Tentet albums since the gig, probably subconsciously thinking they're never going to match up.

They won’t but Walk Love Sleep might be as close as a recording can get:)