US RVG Suprises

scottb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, there's actually one on eBay right now, but crap, it's up to like $32 + $5 s/h already!!! It ends tomorrow morning

I think I paid $40 for mine, and it was well worth it.

Still, the McMaster is useless so hopefully they do some sort of reasonably solid domestic re-release of that one.

As for the Rivers stuff, I have all of 'em on LP ;) so I couldn't remember how they were reissued.

I think I paid $40 for mine, and it was well worth it.

Still, the McMaster is useless so hopefully they do some sort of reasonably solid domestic re-release of that one.

I had the mono lp originally. That went to pay for the AE set. The McMaster is more than interesting (not useless) but would love an RVG reissue.

So much negativity about "mastering", so little discussion about the music. :(

I'm with you there. There have been some hideous CD's (the first 'Kind of Blue' issue and some other CBS and MCA titles come to mind), but the Blue Notes and OJC's have always sounded pretty good to me considering the age of the material. The Blue Note CD's I really long for are the later Bobby Hutcherson titles such as 'Rosewood', which haven't ever been released on CD in any form.

I do have a stereo Lp of Unit Structures. I found it earlier this year, on the 'bay, still sealed. I think I got it for around $30. I consider that a bargain for a sealed one. (perhaps even a steal...) Though sealed, it's not perfect, but still pretty good. Blue & White Liberty pressing...is that an original? They were a part of Liberty then, eh? (I need to force myself to MEMORIZE BN label history...)

I also have the JRVG. Perhaps I'll get to hear the TOCJ one day. Guess I won't seek a McMaster.

Yep Chuck, that whole story can get kinda tiresome. I do find a little EQ can do wonders for some mastering jobs. (Unless there is some "unfixable" problem, like too much NR...) I do also realize, however, not everyone is able to custom EQ their systems. I believe Hans (J.A.W.) has stated in the past that he has no tone controls on his system. So he is pretty much at the mercy of the mastering engineer... :bwallace:

Edited by Parkertown

I do have a stereo Lp of Unit Structures. I found it earlier this year, on the 'bay, still sealed. I think I got it for around $30. I consider that a bargain for a sealed one. (perhaps even a steal...) Though sealed, it's not perfect, but still pretty good. Blue & White Liberty pressing...is that an original? They were a part of Liberty then, eh? (I need to force myself to MEMORIZE BN label history...)

I also have the JRVG. Perhaps I'll get to hear the TOCJ one day. Guess I won't seek a McMaster.

Yep Chuck, that whole story can get kinda tiresome. I do find a little EQ can do wonders for some mastering jobs. (Unless there is some "unfixable" problem, like too much NR...) I do also realize, however, not everyone is able to custom EQ their systems. I believe Hans (J.A.W.) has stated in the past that he has no tone controls on his system. So he is pretty much at the mercy of the mastering engineer... :bwallace:

The original was not a "Liberty" pressing, though they owned the company by the time it was issued. This was one of the transitional releases. The "originals" (mono and stereo) were still pressed in NJ by Plastilyte (sp).

Funny thing about "vinyl freaks" and "mastering freaks" is when lp was king, all the "audiophiles" had equalizers and created "road maps" for the best settings of favorite recordings. Now with cd domination, it seems to be "plug and play" and bitch.

if given a choice between a mono and stereo reissue i would choose the mono- espically on these blue notes. its unfortunate there is no choice, other than to pull out the lps of course!

The mono BNs ARE nice to have and listen to mostly cuz YOU CAN'T GET 'EM ANYMORE. But are they actually better? Cuz I believe the ones issued after "Moanin'" are fold-downs of the stereo recording. RVG quit running concurrent mono & stereo recorders about this time.

Fold-down = BAD... -_-

My own opinion about them? I'm still gathering data... :)

I'm with you there. There have been some hideous CD's (the first 'Kind of Blue' issue and some other CBS and MCA titles come to mind), but the Blue Notes and OJC's have always sounded pretty good to me considering the age of the material. The Blue Note CD's I really long for are the later Bobby Hutcherson titles such as 'Rosewood', which haven't ever been released on CD in any form.

Was rosewood a woody shaw release with bobby hutcherson on it ?

Cannot remember

Anyway there are plenty of Bobby Hutchersons to go at either with or without Harold Land

I would love to have seen a mosaic set of his 70s stuff for instance ( although Natural Illusions never agreed with me!)

favourite at the moment is Waiting.....and Montara

There is no Hutcherson LP entitled Rosewood. Do you mean Cirrus, which opens with the composition 'Rosewood'? I would like to see this on CD as well. There was talk elsewhere of a Hutcherson Mosaic select with some of the 70s BN sessions. I don't know when it's supposed to come out.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Anyway there are plenty of Bobby Hutchersons to go at either with or without Harold Land

Yes, why can't they hand him this one to play around with? Who cares if he wasn't the original engineer?

99_7.JPG

Am I mistaken in thinking that is exactly what happened on Lonnie Smith's Think? I seem to recall noticing that the recording session did not take place in Rudy's studio and he did not handle the original recording session.

My memory might not be correct but I am sure someone will "correct" me if necessary.

Has anyone heard anything more on the status of the Hutcherson Select? My impression was that it would cover most of the Hutcherson only released on LP (and maybe the ultra-rare Japan-only release). If that's the case, Cirrus, Waiting, etc. would probably not be RVG'ed. I sure hope that happens.

Am I mistaken in thinking that is exactly what happened on Lonnie Smith's Think? I seem to recall noticing that the recording session did not take place in Rudy's studio and he did not handle the original recording session.

My memory might not be correct but I am sure someone will "correct" me if necessary.

There's quite a few in the RVG series that were never Rudy's to begin with. Birth of the Cool and Clifford Brown's Jazz Immortal (not even Blue Notes) and most of Miles Volumes 1 & 2 for instance. So, it's not without precedence.

Those Hutcherson/ Land albums get my vote.