Hutcherson's "Oblique"

Larry Kart

Love this album. For me, it's Hancock who shines the most. You hear him in so many places in the 60s that it's easy to take him for granted sometimes, but there are a couple of solos on Oblique that rocket me back to his incredible reality.

I think the sound of the RVG is a definite improvement upon the older CD I used to own, where certain recording flaws were painfully evident. Must be a miracle, as the RVG sounds much cleaner to me.

How does one get to hear this Berkeley concert? Is this the one that is allegedly unreleasable due to sonic problems?

It was offered at the website which much not be named a while back. Not sure if it is releasable or not -- some sonic issues, but definitely listenable. Setlist is Gingerbread Boy, Dolores, Stella by Starlight, Round Midnight, Walkin', and So What.

Guy

Glad to hear alot of folks singing the praises of Oblique. I received this one in the past week from yourmusic.com for 5.99. I own only 2 other Bobby Hutcherson albums at present on Blue Note and this by far is my favorite. :tup

What are the other two?

Dialogue and Components are the other two.

• 16 years later...

Late, that CD is being "offered" for $77 and up on Discogs. I doubt that the people who charge prices like that will actually sell the CDs. Sometimes, the presence of the OBI adds a lot of dollars to the price. People collecting the albums as museum pieces inside a glass case? Crazy.

Anyway, good old Ron got a nice sound on his version.

"And with a sharpish needle, it made a cheerful sound." - Flanders and Swann, "A Song Of Reproduction" (ca. 1960, on the album "At The Drop Of A Hat".)