for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd certainly recomend the Riverside Box - and I paid a lot more for it. Also the Prestige Story if that ever comes up. I've just taken delivery of the Debut Story and it's a fantastic bargain.

My 'big box' Coltrane also arrived today. Thanks to the German Friends for the heads-up.

The big suprise was with the Contemporary 4CD set. Put CD4 on the player and the quality of the sound and remastering leaves me speachless. Fantastic set, great track selection (everything from the Lighthouse All Stars to Woody Shaw) and a fascinating booklet with reminiscences from John Koenig (the set is book format like some of the Miles CBS sets). At 15 Euros highly recommended and a gem of a set!

The bargain MJQ box looks real nice too - haven't sampled that yet.

Just noticed also on their site that the Debut 4CD set is now on 'special' at an insane 8.99 and the Riverside set is still on for 4.99. Another order methinks :excited:

Now all we need if for Tjobbe to email us that they have in stock the latest Universal Mosaics, the Art Pepper Complete Village Vanguard, the Bill Evans 'Last Waltz' and Fantasy Box, all in big box format. Can you arrange it? :D:crazy::tup

it looks like a compilation

http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?PRID=1803192

or does it?

disk 10 = Barney Wilen Tilt,

disk 9 = Martial Solal Vol 1,

disk 8 = Henri Renaud All Stars

disk 6 = Gerry Mulligan Pleyel Vol 1 (+2 cuts)

disk 5 = Thelonious Monk Piano Solo

disk 4 = Lionel Hampton Paris All Stars

disk 3 = Dizzy Gillespie Pleyel Jazz Concert 1953

disk 2 = Clifford Brown Complete Paris Vol. 1

thanks couw, so that's basically the collection of several individual Vogue albums than (as I'm after the Tilt and the Solal anyway making this a good deal than) so I'll have a look when I'm in Paris next week or the week after...

Cheers, Tjobbe

just sitting here at Charles de Gaulle and waiting for my flight, just want to quickly confirm that the box contains the previously individually available 10 Vogue albums in specially packaged box set. The disks ar eindividually packaged in a papersleeve and with a generic art work´not showing any reference to the original black vogue re-issues. The booklet is comprehensive and list each record with session information and line-up although all liner notes are in french only (but that shouldn't be a problem)

I bought it on the fly at a Virgian Superstore today for 23€ and that's still a steal as e.g. Amazon.de still lists the individual ones for 12-14€ each !

So if you get to Paris... :g

Cheers, Tjobbe

While the focus is rightly on the jazz selection, I have been purchasing a select number of classical box sets from zweitausend.de, mostly from Brilliant Classics, for about half the price I've seen elsewhere. Brilliant Classics is a very good budget label that makes sets like the complete symphonies of Shostakovich or the Complete String Quartets of Dvorak. Some are recordings by lesser known artists and some are simply clever licensing from the major labels. The Shostakovich symphonies in particular is a great deal. One series I'm starting to get into is the Historic Russian Archives. One set is 10 CDs of classic recordings by Rostopovich for 18 Euros! I'll probably get the others in this Russian Archives series pretty soon.

Hey, Tjobbe - while you are in Paris can you make a quick detour over to Paris Jazz Corner for me please and pick up some vinyl? :g

got back late yesterday already, so to late to accomodate your wishes :D , but hey..I'm in Paris again twice in May and June for minimum a day each :blush: (if strike allows..)

Cheers, Tjobbe

They also have the 4CD 'Debut Story' for about 33 Eurozlots.

And the "Contemporary Records Story" for 15.

Fantastic - that one has eluded me for years (well...2). Thanks !

:tup

Received my Rollins and Gordon Prestige boxes today. :w

Thanks for your help, Bob. I hope the Coltrane and the Montgomery sets will reappear soon.

Have they sold out and reappeared several times? I am furious at myself for having missed these two.

For the next "Merkheft", it seems that 2001 is throwing away lot's individual CDs from the ZYX overstock and lot of "not that prominent second level names" for 2€ and 3€ each, mostly US masters, some original but even a lot of the twoLP on 1CD compilation available as well. (Note: some of the infamous 20/24 Bit remasters are within the batch that should be itentifiable by the 20bit/24Bit name tag within the notes).

Easiest way to list all those is by entering the label names into the search box on top right, filter by CD and get them listed....

Although, no sign of other box set's yet... :D but the Debut is at 9€ now but they have the 10CD CCR box for 25€ in stock.(should be the one from 1992 where I'm not 1005 sure if this for its sonical performance is a real bargain)

Cheers, Tjobbe

404368.jpg

CDs > Pop

Verschiedene Interpreten

HOWLS, RAPS & ROARS - RECORDINGS FROM THE SAN FRANCISCO POETRY RENAISSANCE

CD

Mit Lenny Bruce, Allen Ginsberg, Kenneth Rexroth, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Gregory Corso, Peter Orlovsky, John Wieners, Philip Lamantia, Lew Welch, Philip Whalen, Michael McClure, David Meltzer, Kirby Doyle u.a. Aufnahmen 1955-65.

Fantasy. 4 CDs 8,99 EUR. Nr. 404368. Notieren

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/suche/?Artic...at=20&q=fantasy

:tup

still there, for 35 € (I think it was 40 when some of us, including me, got it?):

500733.jpg

CDs > Jazz

Gordon, Dexter

THE COMPLETE PRESTIGE RECORDINGS

CD

Mit 17 bisher unveröffentlichten Tracks.

Prestige. 1965-73/2004. 11 CDs 34,99 EUR. Nr. 500733. Notieren

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/suche/?Artic...t=20&q=prestige

Found this list compiled by king ubu elsewhere here.

Vogue list:

Clifford Brown - The Complete Paris Sessions Vol. 1

Clifford Brown - The Complete Paris Sessions Vol. 2

Clifford Brown - The Complete Paris Sessions Vol. 3

Don Byas - With Mary Lou Williams Trio / With Beryl Booker Trio

Jay Cameron... (?)

Roy Eldridge & his Little Jazz Vol. 1

Roy Eldridge & his Little Jazz Vol. 2

Dizzy Gillespie - Plays in Paris

Dizzy Gillespie - Pleyel 49

Dizzy Gillespie - Pleyel 53

Lionel Hampton & his All Stars (*)

Coleman Hawkins / Jonny Hodges - the Vogue Sessions

André Hodeir - The Vogue Sessions

Bobby Jaspar & Henri Renaud

Bobby Jaspar & his Modern Jazz

Bobby Jaspar / David Amram

Duke Jordan - New York / Bud Powell - Paris

Thelonious Monk - Solo 1954

Gerry Mulligan - Pleyel Concert Vol. 1

Gerry Mulligan - Pleyel Concert Vol. 2

Oscar Pettiford - Sextet

Jimmy Raney - Visits Paris Vol. 1

Jimmy Raney - Visits Paris Vol. 2

Henri Renaud... (title?)

Zoot Sims - Quartet & Sextet

Martial Solal - Complete Vogue Vol. 1

Martial Solal - Complete Vogue Vol. 2

Martial Solal - Complete Vogue Vol. 3

Lucky Thompson - Complete Vogue Vol. 1

Lucky Thompson - Complete Vogue Vol. 2

Barney Wilen - Tilt

Mary Lou Williams - London Sessions (title?)

Various - The Saxophone Collection

Various - The Piano Collection Vol. 1

Various - The Piano Collection Vol. 2

Various - The 1954 Paris Sessions

The box set does not include all of these ... maybe there's another box coming, although the rest doesn't merit a 10-CD set?

Edited by neveronfriday

@n-o-f: I got two of those Ellington set's and those are the older remasters but not sure if that can sound any better anyway. For its a historical document rather, so there I haven't paid to much attention to it.

So of those individual 2,99€ CD's that I found worth checking out are one Erik Kloss CD, some Mabern, Waldron, four Lee Konitz records, the Mastersounds 2LP on 1 compilation, a John La Porta THEME AND VARIATIONS, there are 5 Tjader two-in-one's for those not having got them, The 9/11 Rollins and +3 for 2,99€, some Eric Alexander stuff, four McCoy Tyners (one suspisions being 24Bit ZYX), some Shelley Manne like the Sun of the Gunn or the Checkmate( a great one !), a lot of the Joe Pass on Pablo singles, one 2CD Johnny Hodges at the Sportpalast that I haven't heard of before, l ot of Ella and Basie on Pablo (where you need to be aware that some as well can be ZYX remasters), etc...

Luckily that 2001 Fantasy sale items and a 2005 bonus paid this month are somehow a coinsidence that cannot be considers anything else than Karma :g

Cheers, Tjobbe

Thanks, Tjobbe. Just gone for the Debut set and a bundle of those Fantasy reissues. Mabern, Billy Taylor, Bartz, Bobby Timmons, Eric Kloss. Get'm while there there.. :) . Too bad that the Charles Earland 'Intensity' and Byard 'Last From Lennies' are not listed though.

Also noticed Pat Martino 'El Hombre' for 1.99 if anyone needs a copy.

There's also a 4CD 'Good Time Jazz' compilation on these (traditional arm of Contemporary Records). That one looks interesting too.

Still no sign of more Wes and Coltrane sets...

Edited by sidewinder

How long did it take for 2001 to charge your credit cards? Last time (the incredible box set sale a few years ago) I think it took at least a couple of weeks. This time though, it seems just too strange. I placed my order on March 30th, recieved the package about a week later, but still my card has not been charged. One would think they'd want their money as soon as possible.

----

There's also a 4CD 'Good Time Jazz' compilation on these (traditional arm of Contemporary Records). That one looks interesting too.

that's a nice set specially the booklet, but you can also get a 4CD box from one of those Good Time Jazz artists called Lu Watters. Not sure about though but for 9€ as well...

Help! I used to be able to 'read' the website in English - can't seem to find the option now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! -_-

after their re-design, they dropped the english version...but send me a PM and let me know what you need, I might be able to help with "enhanced personal translation services" <_<

Cheers, Tjobbe