for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

From what I can tell as my German is practically non existent, the Eldridge is out of stock. But I've taken the suggestion and book marked it. I had done a search under Eldridge but it didn't show up. Several of you have catalog numbers. How did you get those?

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell as my German is practically non existent, the Eldridge is out of stock. But I've taken the suggestion and book marked it. I had done a search under Eldridge but it didn't show up. Several of you have catalog numbers. How did you get those?

I think I grabbed the Eldridge number off of one of the earlier posts, but they appear to have changed their numbers. The current number for that set is 502089 (although the old numbers still work on the Order page). Some people may have originally gotten the catalog numbers out of the latest Zweitausendeins catalog, which you can download as a PDF online, and which they enclose with each order they ship. I don't speak German, either, and used a combination of the Google tool bar translation function (to translate whole pages) and the AltaVista Babel Fish translation page (to translate sections of text), and that worked pretty well for me. By now, I've learned my way around the web site (and a few key German phrases) well enough to pretty much find what I need (I've succeeded in placing 2 orders with them!). Feel free to PM me, Brad, if you need assistance (we could even do it over the phone, if you want).

By the way, the last time I checked, the Art Pepper Galaxy box was back in stock. If you don't have it, I'd highly recommend getting it, especially at their rock-bottom price. It's the full-size 12x12 box and booklet, with discs manufactured in Germany but with the US Fantasy mastering (as are the other Fantasy box sets they currently sell). The Mosaics they sell, on the other hand, are completely manufactured in the US (including discs), and only lack the Mosaic name and set number on the box edge and the individual hand-written set number inside the front cover of the booklet. In all other ways, the Mosaics distributed by Universal are identical to the ones sold directly by Mosaic.

Yes, I believe ZYX was hadling Candid as well at some point. Handling it badly though as these discs were a bitch to find. It seems Fenn Music Service is handling Candid now.

There are several "series" of Candid CDs, as far as I understand. The ZYX ones are prob. the oldest ones around. Then there are different looking UK editions (Candid is owned by a UK company, no? There's this website here: http://www.candidrecords.com/). I think among my five Taylor and four Mingus discs, there are at least three different runs of CDs covered. Some have *very* badly photocopied/scanned covers, too.

Anyone knows if there's a difference in sound or not? My guess is not, but I haven't really tried to find out.

And for all those inclined to buy any of these Candids: big :tup for the Booker Ervin - probably Felix Krull's only post-mortal appearance on a jazz recording... a great disc, Krull being Parlan, the rhythm team being Parlan's crew of that time (Tucker-Harewood). Fits in nicely with the Parlan Blue Note sessions and the Savoy disc (which adds Richard Williams on trumpet to the same crew).

Person rather than company. Alan Bates is the name, there was a great interview with him in Jazzwise last year, can't remember the issue.

That explains why Black Lion did an extensive Candid CD reissue series several years ago. I suppose he leased them to that US company?

Person rather than company. Alan Bates is the name, there was a great interview with him in Jazzwise last year, can't remember the issue.

That explains why Black Lion did an extensive Candid CD reissue series several years ago. I suppose he leased them to that US company?

What US company? Black Lion is Bates, too, no? He also did some Freedom reissues (CD and LP, I have some Randy Weston... great stuff! Also that Andrew Hill one with Lee Konitz and Ted Curson).

holy holy!

another 100 € gone...

both Bill Evans boxes (after that all I miss, as far as Evans boxes go, is the "Secret Sessions" box...), the Dexter box, plus the recent Bud Powell, "Bebop", for 3 eurozlotys.

this should be great! I have not heard any of the Evans, only got one ("The Panther!") of the Prestige Dexters, and have been watching that Powell for a long time (this was the third instalment of the Paris stuff, yes? I also miss the second one...)

They do have the Secret Sessions (#76679) but it is more expensive at €65.99.

I received my Wes Montgomery today and it too is the "big box" :D

this particular code 76679 doesn't seem to work. anyone can confirm this?

Marcus

I just received an email from Stephan in cust. service and he assured me that they have been moving their storage facilities as well as updating their computer systems,which caused some problems.He said I would receive a confirm email of my order (always have),within the week.They have excellent service.

Jeffsjazz

What US company? Black Lion is Bates, too, no? He also did some Freedom reissues (CD and LP, I have some Randy Weston... great stuff! Also that Andrew Hill one with Lee Konitz and Ted Curson).

Yes, Black Lion is Alan Bates' company - he bought Freedom and later Candid. Got me the Ervin Candid today and the inlay card gives a London adress. So this sale has nothing to do with ZYX losing Fantasy.

For those who've been looking for them, the Eldridge, Farlow, and Jazztet Mosaics are back in stock (for the moment).

Thanks Ron. I just ordered the Eldridge set (along with three Brilliant Classics sets - Grimaud, Richter, and Pires). Hope they will have arrived by the time I'm back in France, looking forward to working my way through them :party:

I've tried the code for that 'Secret Sessions' quite a few times of late but no success (same story with the other Evans sets).

Damn ! ;)

They have changed their numbering so I don't know what the Secret Seesions number is any more. It never showed up when searching for Bill Evans. Perhaps someone should email them.

I just received an email from Stephan in cust. service and he assured me that they have been moving their storage facilities as well as updating their computer systems,which caused some problems.He said I would receive a confirm email of my order (always have),within the week.They have excellent service.

Jeffsjazz

I emailed customer service at the 'service@zweitausendeins.de' address a couple of days ago to inquire about my order, and haven't received a response. Is there another address I should be using, or is that the correct one?

Jeffsjazz

I emailed customer service at the 'service@zweitausendeins.de' address a couple of days ago to inquire about my order, and haven't received a response. Is there another address I should be using, or is that the correct one?

That's the right address. I sent them an email yesterday afternoon, and received a response this morning. You may want to send another email--they're usually very responsive.