Help me decide.

GA Russell

I have a little Christmas money to spend. If I don't spend it soon on music, I will probably waste it on groceries.

I have my eye on two items at Your Music: The IASW Sessions box for $18 and One Down, One Up for $12.

I'm confident that I'll get both of them before the summer. Which should I get now?

I have the IASW LP, which is lost in my LP stacks, and hasn't been played in years. The Coltrane is all new to me.

Which do you recommend?

If you don't already have a disc of IASW (not the sessions--just the album), it's a flip of the coin (in my opinion, anyway). If you do, go for the Coltrane. From what I can gather, the sessions box is interesting (haven't really heard it--only IASW). As far as I'm concerned, however, the OUOD package is essential live Coltrane.

If you don't already have a disc of IASW (not the sessions--just the album), it's a flip of the coin (in my opinion, anyway). If you do, go for the Coltrane. From what I can gather, the sessions box is interesting (haven't really heard it--only IASW). As far as I'm concerned, however, the OUOD package is essential live Coltrane.

I like a lot of the stuff in the IASW box, but it does have a bit of filler and the Coltrane contains none. However, GA, I seem to recall you dislike avant-garde stuff and the Coltrane set is along those lines.

Guy

Guy, I have Coltrane's VV box. I don't listen to it very often because it is further out than I normally like.

Would you say that One Down is as out as that?

One Down has Afro Blue on it, and how far out can that be?

I really enjoyed the movie The World According to John Coltrane, which I saw years ago. He takes an extended solo or two on that one as I recall. Is One Down more like that than the VV box?

Guy, I have Coltrane's VV box. I don't listen to it very often because it is further out than I normally like.

Would you say that One Down is as out as that?

One Down has Afro Blue on it, and how far out can that be?

I really enjoyed the movie The World According to John Coltrane, which I saw years ago. He takes an extended solo or two on that one as I recall. Is One Down more like that than the VV box?

I don't think this is addressed to me, but I'll chime in anyway. :P

To put it succinctly, the "outest" moments on One Down are just as "out" as the "outest" moments on the VV set (probably more so). That is, it can get pretty wild. This is later Trane; not quite as brutal as Meditations or Ascension, but certainly on the same wavelength. To stress, One Down was recorded in 1965, the same year that the classic quartet effectively dissolved. Coltrane was already inovking the heavy dissonance and wild timbral freedom of his final works. It's "avant" but not quite "free jazz." So, to summarize, if you can't handle "Chasin' the Trane," then this probably won't change your mind. Still, it's some of the best of its kind.

Edited by ep1str0phy

The Miles box was a total revelation to me. Who would haver guessed that "Sssh/Peaceful" had a head?

OTOH, as "out" as the Trane stuff may (or may not) be, there's still Elvin. "Nuff said...

Frankly, at those proces, I'd buy both by any means neccessary. Most grocery stores take credit cards these days... ;)

In other words, if you like your In a Silent Way LP and Coltrane at the VV is too far out for your taste, there is little question that you will be happier with the In a Silent Way box as opposed to Coltrane at the Half Note.

OK, may I take it the group is generally in agreement with John L here?

In other words, if you like your In a Silent Way LP and Coltrane at the VV is too far out for your taste, there is little question that you will be happier with the In a Silent Way box as opposed to Coltrane at the Half Note.

OK, may I take it the group is generally in agreement with John L here?

Basically. I also agree with JSngry's statement that both are worth the price of admission. Seriously, I'd try to get a hold of at least a sample from the OUOD box--just to be sure you know what you're passing up (although, given the length of the tracks, any such sample may be only minimally illustrative).

Edited by ep1str0phy

I thought the previously unreleased material from the IASW box was top drawer. :tup:tup "The Ghetto Walk", in particular (an in all it's 27 minutes of glory), is to my ears as wonderful as anything on the entire set.

While the Trane discs might be more "exciting" in the classic sense of the word -- I was and continue to be pretty darn exited by the IASW box.

For $11.98, I'd still pick up the Trane, even if it's not your first priority. Might grow on you over time....or just hit you one day.

Good advice. Once upon a time, Coltrane's Village Vanguard recordings were too 'out' for me. :blink: I kept it on the shelf rather than selling it and now, some time later, it's pretty indispensible to me.

You guys have got me thinking that I should get them both!

But if I do, I will have to put off spending the Christmas money earmarked for the DVD box of the first season of Remington Steele, the year that it was funny.

Any of you TV DVD aficiandoes want to persuade me that the DVD is more important than the jazz?

By the way, I met Stephanie Zimbalist fifteen years ago. She was very charming, and I must say one of the most beautiful women I have ever met - even prettier than on television.

You guys have got me thinking that I should get them both!

Well, that would be my vote. I don't feel like the Trane is too "far out" at all. IMHO it's very accessible and very, very good. I listen to that and it reaffirms my awe of the man. Same for the Miles. I have a limited tolerance for really out stuff and I really love both in the sense that I will continue to pull them out repeatedly. Both are great examples of music at a very high level.

I'll be curious to hear what you think GA! :)

Any of you TV DVD aficiandoes want to persuade me that the DVD is more important than the jazz?

By the way, I met Stephanie Zimbalist fifteen years ago. She was very charming, and I must say one of the most beautiful women I have ever met - even prettier than on television.

Go for the lady!

Q