Walmart Music

Jazz Kat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emusic is greart, but it doesn't have any Blue Note or Verve, and while Walmart has a bunch of restrictions just like iTunes, it does have stuff from these labels. In fact, it looks like they may not have as many restrictions on the BN stuff as iTunes. I'll definitely check out the format of these downloads, and then I might well download Where is Brooklyn or something equivalent.

Emusic is greart, but it doesn't have any Blue Note or Verve, and while Walmart has a bunch of restrictions just like iTunes, it does have stuff from these labels. In fact, it looks like they may not have as many restrictions on the BN stuff as iTunes. I'll definitely check out the format of these downloads, and then I might well download Where is Brooklyn or something equivalent.

Well, the DRM issues suck, as one might expect. One can't use these downloads with Macs or Linux or iPod without some serious hassles. That said, there are still a few BN albums with only a few tracks where you can buy them for much less than on iTunes (where you must buy the entire album). So in a handful of cases it is probably worth buying the Walmart tracks, converting them to mp3 through some software (which I do own) and then using them as you please.

I admit that I have downloaded a few songs from Walmart because I couldn't find them elsewhere (a friend had lent me his copy of the "From Spirituals to Swing" box and one of the discs wouldn't copy to my computer, so I went online and found the missing songs at Walmart, of all places). I don't make it a regular practice, although I do often go to Walmart.com to find cover art for making CD covers...

I have downloaded some things from emusic.com, Cajun, old time country, and bluegrass. Getting ready to download some jazz with the trial of 50 free downloads. I have some technical questions maybe somebody can answer?

I registered and got an e-music download manager. When I download a song, it loads quickly in the download manager, and then I click listen and it launches my mp3 player, MusicMatch Jukebox.

Now, can I save the songs as mp3s and put them somewhere on my hard drive or do I always need to launch the download manager to reach the songs? I don't care for the way my songlist is just a list of songs without the name of the artist or the album. I usually organize mp3s on my hard drive better than that. Anybody can help with that? ejp626 mentioned there's a software that can do the trick. Thanks!

Edited by It Should be You

I was talking about moving iTunes special format over to MP3. Anyway, emusic downloads are regular MP3s. They generally are saved into a folder on your desktop. Once you find them, you can move them anywhere else you like and play them in regular players like WinAmp and do whatever you want with the playlists.

I admit that I have downloaded a few songs from Walmart because I couldn't find them elsewhere (a friend had lent me his copy of the "From Spirituals to Swing" box and one of the discs wouldn't copy to my computer, so I went online and found the missing songs at Walmart, of all places). I don't make it a regular practice, although I do often go to Walmart.com to find cover art for making CD covers...

I have two (2) problems here. You tried to copy (for free) a friend's discs and failing THAT you went to Walmart!

Stand up and be an honorable human. :angry:

Not sure I would want my kids in your room.

I have two (2) problems here. You tried to copy (for free) a friend's discs and failing THAT you went to Walmart!

Stand up and be an honorable human. :angry:

Not sure I would want my kids in your room.

Well, the discs were being lent for the specific purpose of being copied. This friend and I often lend one another materials for copying. It's called "being thrifty."

Well, the discs were being lent for the specific purpose of being copied. This friend and I often lend one another materials for copying. It's called "being thrifty."

Boy do I feel better now. :bad:

Can someone help me out here? This is a generational thing, right? I was raised on the concept of home taping. This was something my friends and I did all through high school and college. Want to share some good music with a friend? Make 'em a tape. I don't think there was *any* music that I was exposed to in high school and college (including jazz) that I didn't have *first* on a homemade tape. So then CD burning comes into play. I burn discs for friends, they burn discs for me in exchange. Is this a foreign concept? The idea was always to trade music for music. No one ever profits. If I like something a whole bunch, I'll usually pick it up in a commerical copy.

It seems to me that the "ethics" of copying only came in once CD burning became a factor. No one was complaining when we were making dubs onto tape. Why is that? Is it a sound quality thing?

When I got my first computer with a CD recorder a few years back, the only thing i could figure that it was good for was making compilation cds for my own use. I never considered blatantly copying any of my music for others. It doesn't seem right to me, not to mention anything about legalities. Hell, I'm having problems justifying my recent purchase of a couple of Definitive/Disconforme cd's.

Maybe it is an age thing (I'm 40). Or maybe the concept of stealing intellectual property just doesn't bother some, I dunno.

Edited by Aggie87

Can someone help me out here? This is a generational thing, right?

Yup, it sure tis! But not really a chronologically-based age thing,

but, rather, we're living in a new era of scare tactics

and fear mongering that now constantly bombards us.

Corporate bullies have gotten away with it to an ever increasing

degree. Even people who, for example, used to make music tapes for

their potential sweethearts have, in recent years, gotten amnesia

and have become suddenly convinced and righteous after constantly

being fed specious corporate arguments concerning "loss of revenue."

It's quite a sad state of affairs that we can only hope will recede

after we have enough people who'll actually listen to what is being fed to them.

I was thinking about this now: re libraries. At my public library, there's copyright policies for photocopying texts. But as far as I know, none exist for the CDs they lend. Though I am sure there are many kids out there who realize the vast collections libraries have for CDs and now DVDs - available to burn. I've heard the argument that the library has paid for these CDs, so burning one won't hurt the artist. Seems obviously wrong. But are authors harmed by people who read library books and don't buy a copy themselves? Isn't that the purpose of a lending library? Digital media has changed the rules.

Anyone here a librarian?