2006 annual wish-list for Conns (or maybe Waters?)

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about "Wahoo" by Duke Pearson??

Oh yeah! I bought the old CD version for quite a lot of money last year and I

think it's a magnificent session. Should be an RVG though, not a Connoisseur.

I'd like to hear that Grant Green session with John Gilmore.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, what? Who else was in the group?

Grant Green Sextet

John Gilmore (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Duke Pearson (p) Grant Green (g) Butch Warren (b) Billy Higgins (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 12, 1964

1299 Untitled Grant Green Tune, No. 3 Blue Note rejected

1300 Minor League -

1301 Grant's Tune -

1302 Un Poco Loco -

1303 Ezz-thetic -

There was a discussion about this session somewhere around here but I can't find it right now.

Quite a lineup IMO. I know people think that Gilmore + Pearson is a mismatch but

quite frankly I think Gilmore sounds just fine on the more conservative Freddie

Hubbard and Art Blakey sessions he participated in during the 60s.

It's supposed to have been somewhat of a trainwreck but we all know how some old

evaluations of unreleased sessions have proven to be off the mark - Bobby Hutcherson's

The Kicker had been called an "unsuccessful session" in some liner notes, but when

it finally came out in 2003 (!!) Cuscuna had to admit that it sounded pretty good after all.

Either way I'd just like to hear it. After all they recorded five tunes. I'd say if it really

had been that bad they would've aborted the session earlier than that.

Cuscuna is still trying to get the PJ stuff out as evidenced by his work with Mighty Quinn.

Kevin

Yes....and a big :tup to that! At this stage of the game, I'm much more interested in what's going on with the Mighty Quinn release schedule rather than spin wheels thinking about yet another Jimmy Smith BN release. Love to see a couple of Les McCann's first PJ titles hit the shelves. Perhaps a two'fer w/something like 'Plays the Truth' and 'The Shout'? Actually, four or five of those McCann PJs bundled up would make an excellent Select set. The Montgomery Brothers "Plus 5 Others" from w/Hubbard from '57 would be nice.....as would a Lennie McBrowne and the 4 Souls CD.

Here's hoping MC sees this.

How about "Wahoo" by Duke Pearson??

Oh yeah! I bought the old CD version for quite a lot of money last year and I

think it's a magnificent session. Should be an RVG though, not a Connoisseur.

I'd like to hear that Grant Green session with John Gilmore.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, what? Who else was in the group?

Grant Green Sextet

John Gilmore (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Duke Pearson (p) Grant Green (g) Butch Warren (b) Billy Higgins (d)

1300 Minor League -

1301 Grant's Tune -

1302 Un Poco Loco -

1303 Ezz-thetic -

There was a discussion about this session somewhere around here but I can't find it right now.

Quite a lineup IMO. I know people think that Gilmore + Pearson is a mismatch but

quite frankly I think Gilmore sounds just fine on the more conservative Freddie

Hubbard and Art Blakey sessions he participated in during the 60s.

It's supposed to have been somewhat of a trainwreck but we all know how some old

evaluations of unreleased sessions have proven to be off the mark - Bobby Hutcherson's

The Kicker had been called an "unsuccessful session" in some liner notes, but when

it finally came out in 2003 (!!) Cuscuna had to admit that it sounded pretty good after all.

Either way I'd just like to hear it. After all they recorded five tunes. I'd say if it really

had been that bad they would've aborted the session earlier than that.

Hey, thanks for that. Sounds like a run-thru for "Solid"--although it would have been interesting to hear these charts without the Coltrane rhythm section and the Spaulding/Henderson propulsion. Another one to lust after, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Grant Green Sextet

1300 Minor League -

1301 Grant's Tune -

1302 Un Poco Loco -

1303 Ezz-thetic -

I really, really want to hear this.

Andrew Hill - Compulsion, and the two unissued sessions that were in the first Mosaic box (2/10/65 and 3/7/66). If necessary (won't sell yada yada), they could fit the three sessions on a 2-CD set and label it Compulsion with mucho bonus cuts.

The 2 Louis Smith albums

I wanim.

Cuscuna is still trying to get the PJ stuff out as evidenced by his work with Mighty Quinn.

Kevin

Yes....and a big :tup to that! At this stage of the game, I'm much more interested in what's going on with the Mighty Quinn release schedule rather than spin wheels thinking about yet another Jimmy Smith BN release. Love to see a couple of Les McCann's first PJ titles hit the shelves. Perhaps a two'fer w/something like 'Plays the Truth' and 'The Shout'? Actually, four or five of those McCann PJs bundled up would make an excellent Select set. The Montgomery Brothers "Plus 5 Others" from w/Hubbard from '57 would be nice.....as would a Lennie McBrowne and the 4 Souls CD.

Here's hoping MC sees this.

I have a Japanese LP of the Lenny McBrowne (and the other on Riverside) - this deserves a reissue!

Yes and the McCann's - although I don't expect as much depth from them as from other soulful pianists of the time.

Those Montgomery Brothers tracks - yes, and the Jon Hendricks with Wes - the LoneHill issue was dupped from LP and heavily de-clicked changing the transients and overall sound considerably.