2006 annual wish-list for Conns (or maybe Waters?)

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tangentially related, but I'd love to see them revive the West Coast Classics series. I missed the first go 'round and have been playing catch up recently. Some great stuff out there that doesn't seem readily available on CD.

If I remember correctly Michael Cuscuna has said that this series won't be revived because of poor sales.

Kenny Burrell - "K.B. Blues", anyone? '57 date with Horace Silver & Hank Mobley. And another vote for "Freedom" with Stan T & Herbie...

Five tracks from K.B. Blues (Blue Note Japan GXF-3052) were reissued on the 2CD-set Introducing Kenny Burrell (Blue Note 24561, still available), which also included tracks from Introducing Kenny Burrell (Blue Note BLP-1523), Kenny Burrell, Vol.2 (Blue Note BLP-1543) and Swingin' (Blue Note Japan GXF-3070).

How about these?

ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS: The Golden Boy

ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS: The Complete 1976-1977 Roulette Recordings (Backgammon & Gypsy Folk Tales)

GIL EVANS: The Complete 1958 World Pacific Recordings (New Bottle, Old Wine & Great Jazz Standards)

CHICK COREA: The Complete Blue Note 1970 Sessions (from April 7 to August 21)

TED CURSON: Ode To Booker Ervin

The tracklist suggestion for Corea. Most likely a doulble set.

CHICK COREA TRIO

Chick Corea (p) Dave Holland (b) Barry Altschul (d)

NYC, April 7, 1970

Toy Room

Flesh

Nefertiti

Blue Connotation

CHICK COREA TRIO

Chick Corea (p, per) Dave Holland (b, per) Barry Altschul (d, per)

NYC, April 8, 1970

Ballad, I

Rhymes

Ballad, III

Drone

CHICK COREA TRIO

Anthony Braxton (as, fl, cl, cbcl) Chick Corea (p, per) Dave Holland (b, cello, g)

NYC, August 13, 1970

Duet for Bass and Piano, No. 1

Duet for Bass and Piano, No. 2

Dance for Clarinet and Piano, No. 1

Dance for Clarinet and Piano, No. 2

Chimes, Pt. 1

Chimes, Pt. 2

CHICK COREA QUARTET

Anthony Braxton (as, fl, cl, cbcl) Chick Corea (p, per) Dave Holland (b, cello, g) Barry Altschul (d, per)

NYC, August 19, 1970

Starp

73-A Kalvin

Ballad

Percussion Piece

CHICK COREA QUARTET

Anthony Braxton (as, ss, cl, cbcl) Chick Corea (p, prepared piano, vib, per, bass mar) Dave Holland (b, g) Barry Altschul (d, per, mar)

NYC, August 21, 1970

Quartet Piece, No. 1

Quartet Piece, No. 2

Quartet Piece, No. 3

Thumbs up!

Tangentially related, but I'd love to see them revive the West Coast Classics series. I missed the first go 'round and have been playing catch up recently. Some great stuff out there that doesn't seem readily available on CD.

If I remember correctly Michael Cuscuna has said that this series won't be revived because of poor sales.

I think both of you guys are correct and it is the classic example of why Blue Note needs to leave their releases in print a lot longer than they do. This series took a little warming up to but man is it great stuff.....if you can find it. I was late to the game on this series as well. Have eventually found all of them in one place or another. Nice sets. So many folks have found this one too late. Sometimes you have to give people a chance to come around. Sometimes I think Blue Note thinks they are pressing pop hits. 8 weeks and its gone. I agree with you. It deserves a second coming!

:D:D

The BN "policy" of keeping things in print vs deleting them is apparently, according to Tom Evered, a function of their being a part of the EMI Coprorate Empire. The label is a seperate "cost center" (or as some businesses prefer to call them, "profit centers"), and it would appear that keeping items in print that don't move in certain numbers creates a "loss" on paper that has a negative effect on the bottom line. Which, as we all know, is what the money folks look at whether or not it really makes sense.

It's a little nebulous to me how you can continue to lose money on something once it's paid for and simply taking up shelf space in a warehouse. Hell, if you need the space for something else, put the items somewhere else off-premises, like in your trunk or something.. Create a form or something to keep track of where you put them and call them "Auxillary Inventory" or some such and create a "deferred value" for them. Or some crank-yankin' semantical/numerical shit like that. But however much you lose (or how much you keep from losing by remaindering the stock), it seems to me that you could make that much more over the long haul by selling it off over time at regular. But then again,, if wholesale price stays the same over the years, inflation might well make it more profitable to get a lump sum for a bulk inventory at a lesser price up front, as might being able to write off the loss. Hell if I know. It all seems to work within the culture who accepts it all at face value as being "real". Myself, I believe in god, so that's more than enough "suspension-of-disbelief-as-lifestyle-foundation" for me!

Whatever. It's the kind of numbers game that creates "assets" on paper that may or may not have any relevance to the three-dimensionl world. It works within itself, so hey. But like I always like to tell the Coyote in the Road Runner cartoons, "DON'T LOOK DOWN!"

I don't think it was Cuscuna who said that the West Coast Classics bombed. It was Tom Evered (tomatbluenote) who said it bombed. Cuscuna is still trying to get the PJ stuff out as evidenced by his work with Mighty Quinn.

Kevin

Rollin' with Leo. I knew there was something else worthy rattling around in my head. Just needed a beer to coax it out. Ommegang Trappist did the trick...

Great idea!!

BUT, is there any precident for releasing a date as a Conn, that had previously been released (in the U.S.) as a McMaster?? I didn't think there'd been any dates like that, but there might have been one or two (at most).

Anybody know??

I don't think it was Cuscuna who said that the West Coast Classics bombed. It was Tom Evered (tomatbluenote) who said it bombed. Cuscuna is still trying to get the PJ stuff out as evidenced by his work with Mighty Quinn.

Kevin

Thanks for the correction, Kevin.

Rollin' with Leo. I knew there was something else worthy rattling around in my head. Just needed a beer to coax it out. Ommegang Trappist did the trick...

that looks yummy!

ommegang.jpg

It is! With the exception of their Hennepin, which is merely good, everything they brew is amazing. And reasonably priced, too!

Kevin

Thanks for the correction, Kevin.

Glad to hear Cuscuna is still in there pitching. There is some great stuff on Pacific.

I'd like to hear that Grant Green session with John Gilmore.

Jackie McLean - High Frequency is also high on my wish list.

I also support the idea of reissuing the remaining three Andrew Hill dates as a 2CD box. One for One/Compulsion/Involution should be available without shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for an out of print seven (or eight?) CD box.

And we all know it's gonna take them forever to issue those three sessions one by one.

"Now Hear This!" by Duke Pearson.

I don't believe the above title has ever been issued on cd.

Actually , 6 of the 9 tracks from Now Hear This appeared as bonus tracks on Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band which came out on CD in 1998 .

And the 3 that didn't make it are not to be mourned too greatly, unless you're a completist.

How about "Wahoo" by Duke Pearson??