greatest jazz lp of all time found today!!

I'm so happy. i finally have it. i saw it for 40 dollars decades ago- 75 dollars a few years ago, and i found a moderately worn copy for 10.99 tonight, and this time bought it. it is the most wonderfuli record. i listened to the mint copy at the stereo store many years ago, and now i finally have a copy in my possession. who is a fan of this particular lp. is it beans only string record. i know some people criticize that stuff but it is the most splendid record ive ever heard. but no disc info is given by capitol! is it from 1956? that is my guess, or maybe '57. no personel info is listen either...

:o:o

Review by Scott Yanow

Jazz musicians often have as one of their cherished goals the desire to record with a full string section. Hawkins, who recorded an excellent string album (The Hawk in Paris) earlier in 1956, received his wish a few times. The Gilded Hawk, last available as this LP, finds the great tenor being weighed down by Glenn Osser's muzaky arrangements for the strings. Since Hawkins does little other than caress the melodies, nothing significant happens, making this one of the most dispensable Coleman Hawkins ever.

Sorry, Lady!, 'The Gilded Hawk' is nothing to really write home about!

Good solid 'with strings' session where Hawk sticks to the melodies.

Much better Hawks available...

Not that it's a bad one. I just like my Hawkins more adventurous!

Like in The Hawk in Paris that Chas mentioned!

Also Bird and Clifford Brown - among others - did so much better albums with strings.

Edited by brownie

As a long time Hawkins fanatic, I agree that "The Hawk In Paris" is his best strings album, on which he really plays, and that the "Gilded Hawk" and "The Hawk and the Hunter" are rather light by comparison. However, the juxtaposition of Hawk's big sound against the strings is very pleasing to these ears, and he does some nice tunes on "Gilded".

Btw, here's the original cover to "The Hawk & the Hunter":

is HAWK TALK the same album as that HAWK IN PARIS album w/ strings mentioned above?

Two different albums.

Coleman Hawkins recorded numerous albums during his long career. Never enough of Hawkins albums!

As for 'The Gilded Hawk', don't recall having seen this released on CD!

Sorry, Lady!, 'The Gilded Hawk' is nothing to really write home about!

Good solid 'with strings' session where Hawk sticks to the melodies.

Much better Hawks available...

Not that it's a bad one. I just like my Hawkins more adventurous!

Like in The Hawk in Paris that Chas mentioned!

Also Bird and Clifford Brown - among others - did so much better albums with strings.

Bird certainly did ... the Clifford disappoints me for the reasons quoted above. It's nice, because it's Clifford. But it could have been so much better ...

Q

wait so bean doesnt take any SOLO on it?!? well ive heard it years ago im still gonna like it----

I WANT THAT BILL PERKINS. THERES A BUD SHANKLP CALLED BOSSA BOSSA BOSSA WHICH ALSO HAS STRINGS

• 1 month later...

There's a very nice Flip Phillips with strings album from the 1990s on Chiaroscuro, "Try a Little Tenderness," with tasty string writing from Dick Hyman. The notes explain that Flip and Hyman got together well before the date, picked the tunes, and rehearsed and taped them as a duo; then Hyman based his string writing on what the two of them had done. The results do sound unusually of a piece for a horn with strings date.