Borders Coupons

mgraham333

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn !! Why don't these guys ever do coupons like these for their European stores?

They are fleecing us enough as it is...

The jazz selection in the Bristol branch is pretty dire and the CDs are very expensive. I only go to Borders to read my French paper for free sipping a nice cup of coffee at Starbucks. Apart from a Miles Davis DVD, I have never bought any music there.

Edited by ASNL77

So I printed this out and walked over to the store. They insisted that I needed a Border card to use it and then tried to look me up by my email address. So I walked out empty handed. That's it for me. I never had that happen before and am through with Borders once I use up a couple of gift cards. Too many companies already have my email address and I get too much spam as it is. Plus, their prices suck.

So I printed this out and walked over to the store. They insisted that I needed a Border card to use it and then tried to look me up by my email address. So I walked out empty handed. That's it for me. I never had that happen before and am through with Borders once I use up a couple of gift cards. Too many companies already have my email address and I get too much spam as it is. Plus, their prices suck.

I ran into the Borders coupon police for the first time too. They asked for my card and I said I didn't have it on me. They asked for a phone # and I said I didn't provide it on the application (which was technically true, since I didn't apply.) They then asked for an email address. I gave them my spam address, knowing full well as I didn't have a card it wouldn't turn up. "Hmm, not there, is there another email address?" So I gave them a made up Yahoo one. "No...hmm..." I continued to act befuddled. Finally the checker issued my a rewards card tied to the original spam address without me providing any other info. :lol:

Get yourself a spam address (I use Excite) for rebates, warranties, relatives who forward jokes (actually I have a separate one for those) etc. etc.

I agree their prices suck, but they don't on those rare days when the coupons are > 35% off. I'm guessing they've started tying the coupons to the cards to prevent people from using the coupons multiple times.

Edited by Quincy

I ran into the Borders coupon police for the first time too. They asked for my card and I said I didn't have it on me. They asked for a phone # and I said I didn't provide it on the application (which was technically true, since I didn't apply.) They then asked for an email address. I gave them my spam address, knowing full well as I didn't have a card it wouldn't turn up. "Hmm, not there, is there another email address?" So I gave them a made up Yahoo one. "No...hmm..." I continued to act befuddled. Finally the checker issued my a rewards card tied to the original spam address without me providing any other info. :lol:

Get yourself a spam address (I use Excite) for rebates, warranties, relatives who forward jokes (actually I have a separate one for those) etc. etc.

I agree their prices suck, but they don't on those rare days when the coupons are > 35% off. I'm guessing they've started tying the coupons to the cards to prevent people from using the coupons multiple times.

You certainly have more patience than I do. Actually, walking off in a huff every now and then is not such a bad thing, especially as I didn't really need the DVDs (nowhere near the top of my to get list). Even with the coupons, they are only approaching Amazon prices, and I don't pay sales tax with Amazon. The sales tax in Chicago is pretty high. So one less reason for me to step through their doors.

Well, it won't be much longer and we won't be dealing with physical stores anymore whether we like it or not.

You certainly have more patience than I do. Actually, walking off in a huff every now and then is not such a bad thing, especially as I didn't really need the DVDs (nowhere near the top of my to get list). Even with the coupons, they are only approaching Amazon prices, and I don't pay sales tax with Amazon. The sales tax in Chicago is pretty high. So one less reason for me to step through their doors.

I agree that walking off in a huff once in while is a satisfying thing! In this case I was trying to get the Larry Sanders package for $5 less than Deepdiscount's regular price, and there's no sales tax in Oregon (duh, cause we're too dumb to do math here.) And it was kind of fun to put on an act - the befuddled "I don't understand why I'm not in the computer" middle-aged man. :lol:

I think part of the reason Borders started that whole rewards program was to monitor coupon use- it (in theory) prevents one from using the coupons over and over (although I've done that a few times w/no hassle). The drag is that you have to join to even use a coupon ONCE now. As I've said before, the only time I buy anything at Borders is when I have a good coupon- otherwise you end up paying FULL RETAIL!

I usually can do much better online. I'd rather support a local business, but when there's such a big difference in price it's hard to justify that.

Haven't been in a Borders in a long time. Agree that the only time it's worthwhile is with a 30%+ coupon and a sale (...or mid/late January when the calendars are on clearance). Thought about trudging in with a recent 30% (or 25%) coupon and the lower-priced Monterey Jazz Fest titles. But the branch near work didn't have them in stock (or so said Bordersstores.com), so I didn't use it.

I'm actually quite surprised it took them this long to police coupon use more. If there ever is another reason to enter one, I may have to have the spouse use one copy of the coupon (or pretend that she has), while I use a second copy. Now they wouldn't want to ruin any surprise gifts would they? --"What? This coupon has already been used? It must have been my wife. Did she get me that new Monk MJF disc after I spent the whole day looking at wallpaper patterns with her? She is so sweet and thoughtful! ...But now that surprise has been totally ruined by you! Thanks alot dude for patrolling the Borders!"

...feel free to use this strategy or something similar, and report back... :D

I don't get it. What's so difficult about presenting the Borders Rewards card? I have had one since the program started and have no problems with coupons, and I don't get spam email from them. Absolutely no hassle. It's a little piece of plastic!

Agreed. I carry the small version of the Rewards card on my keychain, so it's always handy when I need to present it. I've also used the same coupon more than once without any problems, but perhaps they're starting to crack down on that.

I used the 40% off coupon plus $5 in Borders Bucks I'd accrued to pick up the first Jazz Icons box set yesterday for about $20 cheaper than I could've gotten it for online. Granted, that's an unusual occurrence, but you can come pretty close to equaling online prices if you use the 25% and 30% off coupons. I rarely bother with the 20% off ones anymore unless I use one to pick up a single CD.

I don't get it. What's so difficult about presenting the Borders Rewards card? I have had one since the program started and have no problems with coupons, and I don't get spam email from them. Absolutely no hassle. It's a little piece of plastic!

Agreed. I carry the small version of the Rewards card on my keychain, so it's always handy when I need to present it. I've also used the same coupon more than once without any problems, but perhaps they're starting to crack down on that.

I used the 40% off coupon plus $5 in Borders Bucks I'd accrued to pick up the first Jazz Icons box set yesterday for about $20 cheaper than I could've gotten it for online. Granted, that's an unusual occurrence, but you can come pretty close to equaling online prices if you use the 25% and 30% off coupons. I rarely bother with the 20% off ones anymore unless I use one to pick up a single CD.

I agree with both of the above.

I agree with both of the above.

You're right about all of this. After years of not wanting to be in another database I came to the conclusion that I might as well join the Borders Rewards program. So what if they know the occasional book/cd/dvd I buy (since I don't buy that many from the brick & mortar anyway.) But the couple of times where I was ready to they didn't ask at checkout, so I didn't bother. They took my coupon I printed out from this organissimo thread, and it felt kind of racy to get the reward without the commitment ya know. Now that the coupon police came out I have my card. Checkout is less exciting now. ;)

Seems the only way you're going to get any deals at Borders is to get the Rewards card, so unless you plan to boycott them entirely it seems like a necessity, especially since they are one of the few places to carry even a minimal jazz selection. And from time to time there are some pretty good deals.

The "invasive" aspect has not been a problem at all for me.