June 2006 Connoisseur CDs

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Borders doesn't have any of them and they don't show up as an item that they will stock. What's up with this? Borders always got at least one copy of each new conn release on the release day. They said they would try and order for me. I guess I should look for them on line since I won't be able to use my 30% off coupons :cool:

Dova

Were they cheaper like they are online or were they still $17.99?

At Borders they were $15.99, full retail price. You can get them about four bucks cheaper at someplace like CDUniverse.

Yeah, but it usually ends up about the same when factoring in shipping and handling. Just picked up the Gil Evans and the Jackie Mac (the Hill was out of stock).

About the Blackburn...I'm interested, but I always like to listen to sound clips before buying, but there are none on the web. What should I be expecting from it?

I had the Jackie Mac on JRVG already, so I only bought the Blakey and the Andrew Hill.

I didn't care for the Blakey after one listen. I really should have given it another spin, but I've just sold it off.

Kudos to you for being so decisive. I generally keep stuff I don't like on first listen for about ten years before I sell it, hoping it will grow on me. It never does. I want to be like you!

I don't get the "expensiveness" of these cd's. They are regular full price issues (in Europe) so €20 is on the cheap side. We sell them for €22.50 in our store (JazzCenter, The Hague, The Netherlands). All full priced cd's are that "expensive". Please try to imagine how much EMI is going to sell of these. Then the remastering, seach for tapes, artwork, pressing, etc....and you'll know they might very well be losing money. Let's be greatful EMI is continuing their reissue scedule (as opposed to Sony/BMG, etc) and stop whining about the price.

I'll second that. Just to see releases like the Hill 'Pax' and the Lou Blackburn even in the release schedule is amazing. I suspect we have to put a lot of the credit to Michael Cuscuna and his inspired influence over at EMI. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

We sell them for €22.50 in our store (JazzCenter, The Hague, The Netherlands).

:excited:

Wow Reinier, I didn't know you own (?) JazzCenter. I discovered the store by chance during a business trip in 1994 and I was in heaven. I had never seen a specialized jazz record store before, and found many CDs which I had been looking for for years (much more difficult without the internet back then). In the following years, I passed at the store whenever it was possible.

Just listened to the Blackburn sessions - very nice - one of the best Conns I've bought in the last few years. Good tunes, tasty solos, great sound - the complete package - plus the disc goes on forever - I told my son he could flip on the TV when the disc was done and it practically killed him "Aw, it's only on track 11!"

I think at least one of the Gil Evans's records was originally produced by George Avakian. He's always claimed that the master tapes were in bad shape. I'll definitely get them again if they're at all upgraded.

Well I got it and it sounds good to me, but I think that "Old Bottles"-- the one Avakian produced-- is the same master as the older cd I had. Great Jazz Standards however is much improved.

picked up "It's Time" - had it before on the Mosaic box - so nothing new, just a great Jackie Mac recording!

Picked it up today, too. It's certainly one of the better BNs (for me), and they're almost uniformly classic. The whole band is on fire--nice to see Haynes in his more 'progressive' mode, and Hancock's support is utterly brilliant throughout. What a great listen.

Claude: just to set the record straight....I don't own the store (although the old owner really wants me to!!!)

I've just been around a long time now first as a customer only (from the 1980 already) and then I began helping them out during the North Sea Jazz Festival where the store would reside. Later on I worked (if you really can call it working) in the store for one or two days a week (just for fun on my part).

Indeed a great store but pricey (the owner has to live too you know).

The Conn's are indeed mid priced for a limited period (so also €11.99 in our store).

So has anybody picked up the Solomon Ilori release? I'm curious enough to want to hear it, but not quite enough to just pick it up, which I've been known to do for BN releases (Mosaics in particular). Of the two what appear to be primarily percussion-based recordings, which do you prefer - 'Holiday for Skins' or 'African High Life'?

I like the Blackburn Imperial sessions a lot. It's too bad Blackburn and Freddie Hill didn't get a chance to record more together. The Gil Evans is a bit too commercial and orchestral - for lack of better word - for my tastes. Definitely not on the level of what he managed to do with Miles.

So has anybody picked up the Solomon Ilori release? I'm curious enough to want to hear it, but not quite enough to just pick it up, which I've been known to do for BN releases (Mosaics in particular). Of the two what appear to be primarily percussion-based recordings, which do you prefer - 'Holiday for Skins' or 'African High Life'?

I like the Blackburn Imperial sessions a lot. It's too bad Blackburn and Freddie Hill didn't get a chance to record more together. The Gil Evans is a bit too commercial and orchestral - for lack of better word - for my tastes. Definitely not on the level of what he managed to do with Miles.

I suggest looking for a "better word" for the Evans material. Cannonball gives me the heebie jeebies but "Great Jazz Standards" is a MF! I bought both lps in the early '60s and still play them.

I suggest you leave the Ilori alone unless you are into African music. It is a fine "example of the type" at the time it was recorded and I still play the lp from time to time. The extra material is a bonus for those caring.