June 2006 Connoisseur CDs

Kevin Bresnahan

I must echo the fact that with the very very odd exception I never had any hassle with any of my cds. I did notice more hiss on my US RVG of Idle Moments and Midnight Blue which I thought I would buy as I played the earlier versions to death. It was a test and they were ok...nothing more nothing less

I was not so impressed that I will replace any more of my older cds which to my ears sound brilliant and I have been lucky enough to own original Blue Note LPs but lacked the serious wonga to get the most out of them and could not wait to replace them with cds ( whilst making huge profits of course :D ) or at the time with Japanese new vinyl

I have never understood the absolutist attitude on this or the people who lay into the music producers/remaster people.

I share the fear that we may all end up losing as all music production gets controlled by the big boys but we ain't there yet and I am sure that was a fear in the late 60s when Blue Note got took over........yet my HUGE and bulging Blue Note collection is fighting a winning battle at the moment.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thought: All of us worry too much about about sound and upgrading reissues. I know that I'd be better off buying some newly recorded/released music and enjoying that, rather than buying another version of a reissue that I already have. I say this as I'm thinking about getting the RVG Hawk Relaxes, even though the OJC version sounds fine to me. I hope that I don't succumb.

A thought: All of us worry too much about about sound and upgrading reissues. I know that I'd be better off buying some newly recorded/released music and enjoying that, rather than buying another version of a reissue that I already have. I say this as I'm thinking about getting the RVG Hawk Relaxes, even though the OJC version sounds fine to me. I hope that I don't succumb.

Excellent point, I fully agree.

I'd like to see them release Blue Mitchell's 'Bring It Home to Me' as a Conn. That's one nice record....but only available here as a Liberty era pressing or as a part of the Mosaic. I'd like to know why the folks at Toshiba never did anything with it? Any idea, Kevin?

Edit: Someone's bound to 'catch me' on the vinyl bit. Forgot to mention the mono original (4228). I've got the Liberty stereo.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

If I could swing back to the music...

Is the Gil release a CD issue of the contents of Pacific Standard Time which Scott Yanow tells me includes New Bottles, Old Wine and Great Jazz Standards, originally on World Pacific? Or are these the Pacific Jazz titles Cannonball Adderley and Gil Evans and America's #1 Arranger. Or are these a bunch of new titles for old recordings. Please educate me.

If I could swing back to the music...

Is the Gil release a CD issue of the contents of Pacific Standard Time which Scott Yanow tells me includes New Bottles, Old Wine and Great Jazz Standards, originally on World Pacific? Or are these the Pacific Jazz titles Cannonball Adderley and Gil Evans and America's #1 Arranger. Or are these a bunch of new titles for old recordings. Please educate me.

New Bottle, Old Wine is the same as Cannonball Adderley & Gil Evans.

Will either of these be a double CD:

Lou Blackburn – The Complete Imperial Sessions (19 tunes)

Gil Evans – The Complete Pacific Jazz Sessions (15 tunes)

Total playing time for the two Gil Evans albums is just over 75 minutes. Would fit on one CD, but on the other hand, then there won't be any room for the copy protection...

Total playing time for the two Gil Evans albums is just over 75 minutes. Would fit on one CD, but on the other hand, then there won't be any room for the copy protection...

Have any of the recent Connoisseurs had copy protection?

Have any of the recent Connoisseurs had copy protection?

yes, plenty. Lee Morgan's Sonic Boom w/ the bonus session was also too long to add Copy Protection. The other discs in the same batch all had it.

edit to add that copy protection has been limited to European discs. There have not been any "domestic" US copy protected conns AFAIK.

Edited by couw

I started poking around today to see why there is no release date yet. I'll let everyone know what's up as soon as I find out. None of these CDs was called "Baghdad", were they? :D

Kevin

Well, they could rename one like that... Gil Evans: The Complete Baghdad Sessions"... would open a whole new market area for them! :crazy:

I didn't think the Conns or RVGs were copy protected. I never had one that was.

I also think the whole issue is a bit overblown. I've been of the school happy to have the music. I think many would find some of the earlier OJCs pretty bad but I've been glad just to be able to get them. I agree that we should get the sound available but we shouldn't go crazy either. However, I am intrigued by the song that seem to set off this debate, Caravan, so I plan on listening to it tonight.

Edited by Brad

The Conns are available for pre-order at CDUniverse.

Don't forget to use the links below to support Organissimo!

Lou Blackburn - The Complete Imperial Sessions

Art Blakey - Holiday For Skins

Andrew Hill - Pax

Jackie McLean - It's Time

Gil Evans - The Complete Pacific Jazz Sessions

Solomon Ilori - African High Life

Edited by mgraham333

• 3 weeks later...