One Night w/ Blue Note??

Templejazz

I noticed that this is listed on the AAJ site for release along with the Conns in October. :blink:

Anybody know anthing about it? There was talk back on the BNBB of a DVD set of this concert. Tom E. mentioned that it was a project in the works. Could this be it or is it just a rerelease of the CDs?

Was something previously mentioned that I missed?

Inquiring minds want to know. B)

Thanks!!

Edited by Templejazz

I hope it's both :D

Same here. I might even be tempted to finally purchase a DVD player if this did come out in video format (not to say there aren't other DVDs that I'm interested in, this might just make me bite the bullet). Or I'd watch it on the computer. :P

A DVD would be a great thing, because those concerts are historical moments whose significance gues beyond the music played. Only a DVD could preserve it. I have heard those artists play on numerous records, seeing them play would be the real bonus.

Edited by Claude

The Town Hall Concert CD in question was volume 1 of One Night With BN Preserved. The other three volumes were never reissued.

I sure hope the DVD does come out. I got a free Toshiba DVD player in May with my Sprint rewards but I still haven't hooked it up!

If this DVD does come out, it will be a strong incentive to hook up my player. After all, volume 2 had a half-hour set with Jackie McLean, Woody Shaw, McCoy Tyner, Cecil McBee and Jack DeJohnette...

Bertrand.

The Town Hall Concert CD in question was volume 1 of One Night With BN Preserved. The other three volumes were never reissued.

I sure hope the DVD does come out. I got a free Toshiba DVD player in May with my Sprint rewards but I still haven't hooked it up!

If this DVD does come out, it will be a strong incentive to hook up my player. After all, volume 2 had a half-hour set with Jackie McLean, Woody Shaw, McCoy Tyner, Cecil McBee and Jack DeJohnette...

Bertrand.

Bertrand, all of the music was reissued on CD... I have all four discs at home.

BTW, this is the DVD that's on the release schedule. I called Michael Cuscuna to verify it. He is skeptical about "October" however. He said it sounded like it might slip a little. No reason was given.

I'm just glad it's coming out. I have always wanted to see this concert.

Later,

Kevin

:party::party::party::party::excited::excited:

GREAT NEWS!!

I have Volume 2 in this series and the perfomances are SWEET . The group of Jackie, Woody, McCoy, Jack D, and Cecil McBee cover good versions of Passion Dance from The Real McCoy, Appointment in Ghana one of my favorite tunes, and a blues that I can't remember right now.

Bennie Wallace and Cecil Taylor aren't too shabby either but the quintet does it for me all the way1

Edited by Templejazz

Kevin,

I meant that only volume 1 was reissued on CD * a second time *. The original LPs with the covers with jars of preserves came out on CD (and on VHS). Years after they went OOP, the first volume (w/ Henderson, Hubbard, Hancock and Hutcherson - i.e. the 4-H club) was reissued on CD as Town Hall Concert. The other three CDs were not reissued at that time (nor later).

Bertrand.

I have Vol. III on LP with Jimmy Smith! :)  I'd love to see the footage of that!

It's great ! Many years ago over here the BBC did a jazz season on TV and broadcast two programmes of (I think) 1 hour each taken from the Town Hall concert. I've certainly still got a copy of the show with Smith (accompanied by Kenny Burrell and Grover W Jr, Grady Tate on drums). The same programme also features Woody Shaw and Jackie McLean. At one time I also had a video of the other half of the show but couldn't find it on my last 'trawl' through the video archive. Time for another search !

Intro on both shows was pretty low key, with Joe Henderson playing an unaccompanied 'Recorda Me' on a staircase !

Don't recall ever seeing any footage of Hank Mobley - reports though were that he was in the audience that night.

Edited by sidewinder

Oh yeah - I got an original program as well. :party::party::party:

Plus, a certificate of authenticity certifying that the set came direct from the Capitol vaults - signed by none other than bo himself. Now that has to be worth at least the paper it's printed on. :party::party::party:;)

I have the 4LP box set w/booklet, but no poster. Can somebody put a picture of it online?

Also have laserdiscs of vol. 1 & 2. So I'm missing vol. 3?

(vol. 1 & 2 were an hour each)

I could put transfer these to vhs tape, but you say they are going to be re-issued on DVD? :w

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Titles on single DVD released about a month ago;

(packaged in a DVD movie size black case)

1. Intro [1:51]

2. Cantaloupe Island [11:19]

3. Recorda-Me [11:58]

4. Little B's Poem [8:30]

5. Bouquet [7:51]

6. Jumpin' Jack [7:09]

7. Summertime [7:56]

8. Moanin' [11:20]

9. Sweet and Lovely [3:15]

10. Appointment in Ghana [7:41]

11. Tone Poem [7:19]

12. Blues Walk [6:31]

13. The Jumpin' Blues [6:21]

14. Scratch My Back [7:08]

15. Pontos Cantados [12:34]

16. Credits [1:14]

Tracks of DVD/CD combo;

(packaged in a double CD size jewel case)

Canteloupe Island: (Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Joe Henderson (tenor sax), Herbie Hancock (piano), Ron Carter (bass), Tony Williams (drums)

Recorda-me (Hubbard, Henderson, Hancock, Carter, Williams, Bobby Hutcherson)

Little B’s Poem: James Newton (flute), Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone), Hancock, Carter, Williams

Bouquet: Hancock, Carter, Hutcherson

Jumpin’ Jack: Stanley Jordan (solo guitar)

Summertime: Grover Washington Jr (soprano sax), Kenny Burrell (guitar), Reggie Workman (bass), Grady Tate (drums)

Moanin': Hubbard, Johnny Griffin (tenor sax), Curtis Fuller (trombone),Walter Davis Jr., (piano), Reggie Workman(bass), Art Blakey (drums)

Sweet and Lovely : McCoy Tyner (piano)

Appointment in Ghana: Woody Shaw (trumpet) Jackie McLean (alto sax), Tyner, Cecil McBee (bass), Jack DeJohnette (drums)

Tone Poem: Charles Lloyd (flute and alto sax), Michel Petrucciani (piano) Cecil McBee (bass), Jack DeJohnette (drums)

Blues Walk: Lou Donaldson (alto sax), Jimmy Smith (organ), Kenny Burrell, Grady Tate (drums)

Jumpin’ The Blues: Stanley Turrentine (tenor sax), Jimmy Smith, Kenny Burrell, Grady Tate

Scratch My Back: Stanley Turrentine (tenor sax), Jimmy Smith, Kenny Burrell, Grady Tate

Pontos Cantados: Cecil Taylor (piano)

Audio CD

Cantaloupe Island

Recorda-Me

Little B's Poem

Summertime

Sweet And Lovely

Appointment In Ghana

Blues Walk

The Jumpin' Blues

Scratch My Back

As you can see, the DVDs are the same. The CD only has some of the tracks from the DVD. :P