Jackie McLean radio tributes?

If it's Phil Schaap, he does talk a lot. Wealth of info, though.

Gotta disagree with you there; his incessant and self-congratulatory rambling has made listening to this broadcast a freakin' chore! Schapp's voice is the sound of a man who thinks he knows everything there is to know about jazz, and he'll be the first one to tell you.

Hell, I got so frustrated today I fired off an e-mail to WKCR to ask them to PLEASE make Schapp shut up and play some music! It's like we get a half-hour of music, and then a half-hour of talkin' a lot and sayin' nothing (as JB once said).

I was being kind. He ticks me off as well at times; however, for all the babbling there is info to be gained; and given the state of jazz radio today that is a compromise I can deal with. That station is at its best with these tributes; its an education.

Nah, just frustrated that I gotta listen to this guy blather on and on and on and ON about Ray Draper during a friggin' tribute to Jackie McLean!!! You're not actually SIDING with the guy, are ya? Hell, I put in a lot of hours at my job, big freakin' deal! That's my job! His job is to spin the damn records, not go on and on and ON (and on andonandonandonandon ad nauseaum ad infinitum). And so what if he's got access to all these obscure records? PLAY 'EM fercryinoutloud, don't spend a half hour putting the anal in analyzing by telling us over and over and over and OVER about Bird's (notice how Schapp rarely, if ever, refers to Parker as "Parker," guess he figures the hip quotient is still at play, oh well, his choice I guess) influence on McLean, and while I agree that there's a lot to be said about that influence, Schapp goes over and above and beyond the call of restraint by speaking in MINUTEST detail about one freakin' SONG!!! And it takes him a half-hour to do this! Not to mention the fact that his voice has all the excitement of a tenth-grade economics teacher. Criminy, Schapp: if you're that excited about the record, how about conveying some o' that excitement, eh?

I shoulda sent the above to WKCR instead. Ah well, hindsight is always 20/20, and mine is astigmatic. So, as long as yer passing the hat, better put in some good glasses. And some obscure McLean records I can listen to.

Love always,

BA

I certainly see where it could get real annoying for some Big Al. Just for me, I don't mind. I guess I'm so excited to hear anybody who knows anything about real jazz that I'm pretty much glued to the radio. Schapp read the liner notes that Jackie wrote for a couple of Blue Note albums, ect. which I dug. He said a few interesting things to my ear.

One of the reasons I do like Schapp might be just because it really blew my mind after Higgins died...I was driving to NYC from Boston...and to come across this tribute which Schapp was at the helm at...at playing all this great music...and the DJ actually knew a lot of background....the whole thing blew my mind and I was a fan from then on. Stuck down here in Austin, I haven't heard one Jackie Mac record since his death. The idea that this is going on anywhere is such a great thing imho. I wish it were more widespread.

Well, although I made the initial comment about Phil Schaap, I must say that I enjoyed the music played on the Jackie McLean broadcast a lot. Compared to most people here, I'm not really that familiar with the Blue Note and Prestige catalogs and I heard a lot of great McLean music that was new to my ears. I know what to buy next when I hit the record store... :)

Yeah, and of course there was absolutely nothing about McLean on Dutch radio or TV. It did make our local paper, though...

And I apologize for not making myself very clear early on: I am absolutely thrilled that such a tribute to McLean was going on. And as much of a gripe I have about Schapp (and it has as much to do with the way he's botched a lot of my favorite reissues as well as his incessant rambling), at least he's playing the music. And if people dig him and get a lot out of him, all the better. It's just my own personal hang-up.

Okay, I'll shut up now (should've thought of that a few posts ago). ;)

I live in the NY area and have listened to Schaap a lot. Early on in my jazz life, I learned a lot from him but as I got more experienced, his talking does tend to get on the nerves, so much so that if I'm listening in the car, my wife will even wish that he moved on to the music. He's knowledgeable but a few savvy people have told me that you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

I live in the NY area and have listened to Schaap a lot. Early on in my jazz life, I learned a lot from him but as I got more experienced, his talking does tend to get on the nerves, so much so that if I'm listening in the car, my wife will even wish that he moved on to the music. He's knowledgeable but a few savvy people have told me that you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Same here. Plus he sounds like he's tired of himself too.

I caught that Fresh Air today on WGVU. That was nice, especially the segments on Bud Powell and Miles.

This came across the Jazz Programmer's list from Stevebop :

In 1993 Jackie McLean was awarded a "Jazz Achievment Award" by the New

England Foundation for the Arts.

Part of that award was to have a half hour radio documentary produced

about him. I was luky eough to be chosen to co-produce that program.

The show is all Jackie, in his own voice and words and music talking

about his life and career .

This show is now available on demand from the WGBH website

Go to:

www.wgbh.org/jazz

Under the color photo logo is a list of five current on-demand jazz

features. You'll find our tribute to Jackie there.

Please spread the word to your friends about it's availability

Enjoy!

Steve Schwartz

Jazz from Studio Four

Friday, 8p-midnight

WGBH, 89.7FM, Boston

www.wgbh.org/jazz

www.wgbhblogs.org/jazz

Had a good talk with pianist Hod O'Brien lately who admires Schaap, talking about how as a young person Schaap took a questionairre around to various artists in his neighborhood, Buck Clayton, etc. I can see why Schapp is so well loved in New York, and with the long, long history of the station championing all kinds of different jazz in depth, how they've become the gold standard for non-commercial jazz radio.

All that being said it's a basic thing -- you're either listening to a talk show about jazz or you're listening to a music program. When Phil comes on it becomes the former and should be marketed that way. Interviews are great, but lectures -- you'll find a smaller audience for that no matter where you live (and no matter who's doing the talking).