John Hicks RIP

sidewinder

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shock!

Last time he was in Kansas City, I found a seat in the club where I could look over his shoulder. Watching his left hand for two hours was several YEARS worth of lessons.

And "After the Morning" is one of my favorite tunes, period. (At least I got the chance to tell him that.)

Twins jazz in D.C. (where Hicks was supposed to play this week-end) now has Ronnie Mathews doing a tribute to John instead. I would normally try to go, but I am getting up early the next day to go to the beach. John had a big fanbase here, and I know it will be a nice tribute. I'll play it by ear; maybe I'll go for a set or something. I do like Mathews, and I haven't seen him in eons.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

just heard the news. Very sad. I was fortunate enough to catch him in fine form a couple of years ago at Twins on U street in DC. I purchased one of his cds (tribute to Fats Waller-truly excellent) and had him sign it. A very nice man but even then he looked worn. By chance, we'll be on U street tonight and will raise a glass. RIP John Hicks.

A very nice man but even then he looked worn.

Really saddens me to hear that. Only saw him the once but it was very fine. As part of a group accompanying Teddy Edwards on a very rare NYC excursion. Numbing to think that both of these wonderful players, who were in great form that night, are no longer with us. Can't have been more than 5 years ago either. :(

I'll put on the Blakey 'Jazz 625' video this weekend in remembrance.

Edited by sidewinder

Obituary in today's edition of The New York Times:

JOHN HICKS, 64, JAZZ PIANIST ACTIVE ON NEW YORK SCENE, IS DEAD

By BEN RATLIFF

Published: May 13, 2006

John Hicks, a pianist who helped define the mainstream jazz aesthetic of his instrument, died on Wednesday in Manhattan. He was 64.

13hicks_190.jpg

Jack Vartoogian/FrontRowPhotos

John Hicks performing in Manhattan in April.

The cause was internal bleeding, said his daughter Naima Hicks.

Mr. Hicks, a prolific mainstay of jazz in New York since the late 1960's, gave his final performance last Sunday at a fund-raising concert at St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Harlem. The church, which Mr. Hicks attended, was also where his father, the Rev. Dr. John Hicks Sr., had been a minister.

Mr. Hicks was born in Atlanta. His family moved to Los Angeles when he was an infant and moved again to St. Louis when he was 15, when his father was appointed as a minister there.

After high school, Mr. Hicks attended Lincoln University in Missouri, the Berklee School of Music in Boston and the Juilliard School. He was also soon spending time on the road with various blues and jazz bandleaders, including Albert King and Johnny Griffin. In 1963, having taken a job with the singer Della Reese, he moved to New York City, and for the most part he stayed there.

With a dense, heavy, physical style, influenced by McCoy Tyner, he played in all kinds of situations, from free jazz to programs of music written by Billy Strayhorn, Mary Lou Williams and Sonny Clark.

Among his dozens of jobs with working bands, Mr. Hicks had stretches with three of the most important incubators of young jazz musicians: from 1964 to 1966 he was in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, from 1966 to 1968 with the singer Betty Carter, and from 1968 to 1970 with Woody Herman's big band. It was after a second period with Ms. Carter in the late 1970's that Mr. Hicks's career as a leader picked up; he went on to record many albums under his own name.

For a highly visible time in the 1980's and 1990's, he recorded as a solo pianist, in duos and quartets and in cooperative trios (the Power Trio and the Keystone Trio); was the regular pianist in the Mingus Dynasty Band; maintained his own big band; and played in small groups, including those of David Murray and Arthur Blythe.

Beginning in 1983, he often performed and recorded with the flutist Elise Wood, whom he married in 2001. In addition to Ms. Wood, he is survived by his brother, Raiford Hicks of Manhattan; his sisters Emma Hicks Kirk and Paula Hicks Neely, both of Stockbridge, Ga.; a daughter and son from a previous marriage, Naima Hicks of Atlanta and Jamil Hicks of Manhattan; two stepchildren, Khadesha Wood of Teaneck, N.J., and Malik Wood of Manhattan; and one granddaughter.

Edited by brownie

THE FUNERAL SERVICE 5/19/06

St. Mark's United Methodist Church on Edgcombe Ave. is one of those old-style cavernous Harlem Churches. It looked to be about a century old or close, anyway. It was not exactly in disrepair but in need of some painting, plastering, etc. All in all, though it was still looking good. Good and 'lived in'. You could feel the history and community as you walked in. I arrived about a half hour late and the choir was singing "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" with the organ (naturally). There is something about human voices singing together in a church that is quite unlike any other experience in music or out. Hear them in a black church and the feeling increases exponentially. It's hard to explain how I feel about it except to say it's community based music and as such very real. Probably a lot of pros couldn't get to the feeling that came out of these churchgoing singers this afternoon.

Next the reverend (I'm so sorry not to remember his name. Only the senior pastor was listed in the program) came out to deliver his obituary (not eulogy, that came later). It was then that I looked around and saw how full this capacious house was. John Hicks was loved by a lot of people. In the course of this oratory I learned that Hicks was the son of a minister and also maintained ties to this particular church to the end.

The preacher finished and Kenny Barron and Curtis Lundy came on to play "We'll be Together Again". They played it twice through and very quietly. Kenny blew on it a little in a restrained way, as befitted the occasion. The sounds of children outside and street sounds wafted in---again the sounds of community, the community Hicks called his own. As everyone, from the big shot to the meek, in the 'hood came by to see him off it seemed fitting that everyday sounds would intermingle with the more specialized ones served by Messrs. Barron and Lundy. It was a moment, an aural image I won't soon forget.

Next came the tributes and among the speakers was Hicks' brother Raiford. In the course of his speech an amazing thing happened: he read a 'wish list' Hicks had provided for his family in the event of his demise. Each family member was lovingly chided to do or not do this or that. I never heard that before at a funeral. It seemed he really thought things through and was thinking for a long time of the life that would follow his . Then Raiford read from a statement of his brother's enumerating his ideas about spirituality. The one I'll always remember is "Sometimes you may feel you're not understood, but sometimes it's more important to understand" That brought sighs from the crowd.

The Lord's Prayer was next and sung beautifully and with almost overwhelming passion by tenor Derrick Alton. It was a powerful moment in that church when he got to the song's emotional peak: "For yours is the power,...and the glory...etc" I had to fight back tears myself.

The senior pastor, Reverend Walter C. Barton Jr., delivered his eulogy touching on various highlights of Hick's career and life, from Della Reese to Art Blakey among so many others, and did a commendable job. I was ready to hear some more music, though, as I had to leave soon. As if in answer to my prayer, Lori Hartman got up to sing But Beautiful, accompanied (I think) by musical director Adam G. Singleton. At that point I got up and walked up close in the church so I was flush with the pulpit. It was then that I saw John Hicks' casket for the first time as this woman was singing how love is 'funny or it's sad' amid a sea of faces of parishioners, friends, Harlemites, and fans. Another image I won't soon forget.

I had to leave and missed final musical tributes by Cedar Walton, Kathy Farmer, and others (I saw Cyrus Chestnut waiting in the wings) and also the benediction and recessional. I felt badly that I couldn't talk to the many people I recognized. But it was time to go and I was glad to have witnessed such a beautiful sendoff in such a grand old church.

I felt glad to be human today. And I believe John Hicks knows even now how loved he was.

Edited by fasstrack

Thanks for that, Fasstrack. The most appreciated post of the week.

Thanks. If you appreciate it my wish is that you'll 'pay it forward' by telling a musican how important he/she is in your life. I only met John Hicks once but heard him play plenty in NY. The time I met him another musician who drinks and can be a pain in the ass introduced us in a snotty way that I felt made me look bad intentionally. Hicks picked up on this and immediately turned to me and said "My life is your life". I never forgot that and I'm glad he was as loved as he was.

Seriously, man. Tell a musician you appreciate him/her. Today. This stuff is not easy and cats (and kittens) need to know their work means something even if they are underpaid (or not paid at all).

Edited by fasstrack

Thanks. If you appreciate it my wish is that you'll 'pay it forward' by telling a musican how important he/she is in your life. I only met John Hicks once but heard him play plenty in NY. The time I met him another musician who drinks and can be a pain in the ass introduced us in a snotty way that I felt made me look bad intentionally. Hicks picked up on this and immediately turned to me and said "My life is your life". I never forgot that and I'm glad he was as loved as he was.

Seriously, man. Tell a musician you appreciate him/her. Today. This stuff is not easy and cats (and kittens) need to know their work means something even if they are underpaid (or not paid at all).

mr. fasstrack: i am most appreciative of your sharing john's funeral with us. and i so strongly feel your sentiments above that they brought tears to my eyes. this is something i feel so passionate about and always try to remember to voice my support and appreciation to our precious jazz musicians. they make a profound difference in my life!

mr. fasstrack: i am most appreciative of your sharing john's funeral with us. and i so strongly feel your sentiments above that they brought tears to my eyes. this is something i feel so passionate about and always try to remember to voice my support and appreciation to our precious jazz musicians. they make a profound difference in my life!

Valerie: Thanks, from the bottom....I hear you, BTW. I had to fight tears myself. We're all a family, those of us who make this music and those who love and disseminate it. We fight and act like damn fools because it's a cash-poor music, and we humans are a race of (loveable) knuckleheads anyway. :g But in the end we hace to recognize that we are in this thing together. Know why I paid my respects to John? because of the above-mentioned incident. I figured anyone with that much humanity should get my attention for a few hours on his send-off from this life. And, as I indicated, I was far from alone in that sentiment.

Again, I thank you. :D

Edited by fasstrack

Some corrections are in order on what I reported on:

The senior pastor was the Reverend Walter C. Barton and he delivered the obituary, not the eulogy. The eulogy was delivered by the Reverend Dr. Gilbert Caldwell.

Also, what I described as John Hicks' coffin was actually the altar. I should've know it couldn't have been Hicks' coffin since he died at least ten days before. It did look like a coffin, though.

I still don't know who accompanied Lori Hartman.

Finally, if any of you are planning to come to NY and want a truly memorable experience visit St. Mark's United Methodist Church (Edgecomb Ave. at 137th St., Harlem, USA) on a Sunday Morning. The main service begains at 11 AM and there is wonderful music. Today, for example, I was treated to a fabulous guest gospel choir from Virginia plus their pastor who was guest minister for the service. His sister was pianist. His sermon was tremendous. Later there was a young people's all-classical concert with performers so good it was mind-blowing.

They are a one-church textbook example of what not only community-based music, but community-based spirit is all about.