Terri Hinte has been fired by Concord Records.

Guest Chaney

I wasn't intending to level charges of racism against Jefferson or Concord. I'm sorry it was interpreted that way. I can't see how ANY jazz fan can be racist. I think he had a business idea that arose from his own tastes - just as Ahmet Ertegun and Alfred Lion in their respective periods did - that affected the people he recorded. African-American jazz fans were, as Akanalog suggested, focussing on disco jazz at the time Concord was started and it seems that Jefferson's business plan reacted to that and focussed on people whom he wouldn't expect to buy that type of material, which he didn't anyway want to record.

I don't blame him for any of that - I don't find that stuff of much interest, with some exceptions, of course. However, the takeover of Fantasy, many (if not most) of the important elements of which were focussed on a rather different demographic group, by an organisation with Concord's history and (post-Jefferson) revised business plan, doesn't seem to me best calculated to preserve those elements. I could be wrong; the first lot of RVGs included "Cookbook", "Honeydripper" and "Don't go to strangers". That may promise a little bit of something for music that was aimed at the African-American audience. We shall have to see. In the meantime, I'm going to carry on getting as much of the OJC stuff as I can before I can't.

MG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a microcosm of what's happening to jazz artists more generally. The corporate mergers and the resultant push to grab every last cent is hurting a lot of talented people. It's been too long since we've had a new recording from Kenny Garrett, Nicholas Payton, Stefon Harris etc....

Guest akanalog

so it seems something i wrote was misconstrued and it got magnificent G into trouble.

he voiced some of what i was thinking-but i started it, not him.

my point wasn't that carl jefferson was racist.

i was just asking, because i wasn't there back then, why or how it came to be that this type of jazz (chuck flory, butch miles, warren vache, scott hamilton kind of stuff), when it came to younger guys (and most of the black guys on concord were of an earlier generation, right?) i was just wondering why it seemed to be mostly white guys who were interested in this traditionalist torch-bearing or whatever (this was a bit pre-marsalis, right?) jazz music at that moment in time.

so it seems something i wrote was misconstrued and it got magnificent G into trouble.

he voiced some of what i was thinking-but i started it, not him.

my point wasn't that carl jefferson was racist.

i was just asking, because i wasn't there back then, why or how it came to be that this type of jazz (chuck flory, butch miles, warren vache, scott hamilton kind of stuff), when it came to younger guys (and most of the black guys on concord were of an earlier generation, right?) i was just wondering why it seemed to be mostly white guys who were interested in this traditionalist torch-bearing or whatever (this was a bit pre-marsalis, right?) jazz music at that moment in time.

I don't think you were off base as I understood you.

Carl Jefferson started the label recording LA area guys that played at "his" festival. This was really an expanded "garden party" sort of affair and it grew. He recorded the guys he knew from the "fests" and these were LA "studio type" jazzers. He later hired a rep on the east coast to sign and record "east coast guys" and the content got younger and darker.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...