Joe Henderson - Power to the people

Head Man

I have been gradually replacing all my Joe Henderson vinyl on Milestone as and when they come out on CD but so far I have been unable to locate a copy of his CD 'Power to the people'.

It is shown as available on Amazon but so far they have been unable to obtain a copy.

Has it ever been released on CD?

I know it is included in the 'Milestone Years' boxset but since I have all of his other recordings that I want, I don't want to have to buy the boxset just for this one.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, the only CD issue of this title was a mini-LP style import from Italy. A little digging would net the reissue label's name, but I'm almost late to work as it is.

I don't have one (I dislike mini-LP packaging), but if it ever came out as a single here in the US in a Jewelbox, I'd grab it for sure. (I already have the material as part of the box set.)

Just listening to this one the other day via the Milestone box. Fantastic box - this is exactly the sort of quality product that the 'Old' Fantasy (pre-Concord) excelled in and which may never once it goes OOP, I fear, see the light of day again (I hope I'm proved wrong on that one - and Andorran rip-offs don't count).

Mike, thanks for the link. I've e-mailed them to see whether they have a copy in stock.

Kevin, can you remember where you purchased your copy of the CD?

And thanks to everyone else for your comments. I do know how good the recording is - I've got the vinyl to prove it!

David

Edited by Head Man

FWIW, I probably have a bit of bias towards Power To The People. It was one of the first two or three jazz albums I ever heard (after KOB, of course). Back in my college days, a buddy of mine taped "Mode For Joe" on one side of a 90-minute cassette, and Power To The People on the other. I must have played that sucker night and day for two months (along with KOB backed with Nefertiti). Those two tapes (those four albums) were my entire jazz collection for about 2 or 3 months.

IMHO, "Power To The People" is a GREAT place for some people to start on the their jazz journey. Kinda 'inside', kinda 'outside', kinda groovy, kinda dark, kinda funky, and not too traditional -- but not too much of any one of those things so as to make it "off-putting".

I got a mini-LP copy years ago (it's the Universe--a division of 'Comet Records,' apparently). It's wrapped in what the label calls a 'karmapack'--shaped like your average mini-LP sleeve, but hard as rock (this is tough, tough binding--compare this to Ogun, or even those Savoy reissues... much tougher).

Nice to see so much enthusiasm, though--this may be my favorite Joe. The Blue Notes have that special, first-time polish, but there's fire and mystery to this one--hard and worldly (nothing 'easy' here--even the ballads sound a little tense). Also--there's a fine version of 'Lazy Afternoon' on this one... I thought Grant Green's version in 5/4 had totally demolished the tune for me, but Joe works some magic. Beautiful stuff.

Mike, thanks for the link. I've e-mailed them to see whether they have a copy in stock.

Kevin, can you remember where you purchased your copy of the CD?

And thanks to everyone else for your comments. I do know how good the recording is - I've got the vinyl to prove it!

David

I bought my copy at local CD shop called Newbury Comics. They had this CD at nearly every store for a while. I haven't looked for it since but I can try looking the next time I'm in there.

REISSUE BLACK NARCISSUS YOU BASTARDS

Does anyone know why some of the recordings on the Milestone Years boxset have not been issued as individual CDs? All the remastering etc has been done and I would have thought that Joe Henderson is one of the better sellers for Fantasy (now Concord, of course).

As with much in life, it's a mystery!

David

Joe Henderson was neither a big seller nor a big live attraction in the USA before his Billy Strayhorn tribute on Verve that propelled a curious kind of "comeback". He was gigging in Europe most of the time before that - I saw him several times during those years.

Remember it took Blue Note considerable time to reissue all his albums including some of the more important sideman dates; Fantasy had reissued only one or two of his Milestones in the OJC series before the box set, which was inspired by his unexpected success at Verve.

And since then, of course, they rather want to sell the box set - which is a good deal, BTW. I jumped at it back then, even though I had most of the Milestone LPs.

I've told this story prevously in the BNBB but to put into context just how low-key Joe was in the early 80s on a visit I made to Germany to see friends I was taking a look at a high-school magazine brought home by one of the family and there was an advert for a school concert by Joe Henderson for something like 5 DM admission ! This was a school in a very rural/low key place too. I'll bet it was totally brilliant - of course it had already been and gone by the time I saw the mag. My reaction at the time was one of total and utter amazement.

He was still pretty well unknown by the public at large when I saw him in Toronto back around 1990. Never forget that incredibly 'foggy' sound he got on 'Recorda Me' from his old Selmer. By then though I think the word was just starting to spread.

Edited by sidewinder

• 17 years later...