Joe Henderson - Power to the people

Head Man

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Personally, I'll be more than happy to stick with the CD. The sound on the CD box set is quite acceptable.

That's probably what I'm going to do too.  But I will admit that the vinyl is darn tempting. 

For albums with a special place in my personal pantheon -- like Power to the People -- having them in two formats is nice.  An indulgence, yes.  But still nice.  ;) 

If Craft reissues Joe Hen's Multiple, I will definitely get it on vinyl -- despite already having the music in the CD box set.   Because that album is even more special to me.  Same with Canyon Lady.   In my book, they're the two "crowns" of his Milestone years.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Had it been determined if there was more from the In Japan date that might still exist? 

A recording surfaced some time ago from a concert given the next day as the one on "In Japan."  But you probably knew that 

Live "Tokyo Toshi Center Hall", Tokyo, Japan, August 5, 1971
  Sunrise in Tokyo Fontana (Jap)PAT1064, Philips (Jap)FX-8520
  So what        -                     -
  Get magic again        -                     -
Edited by John L

14 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I don't think so -- maybe it was not on the tape that was sent to Rudy? Looks like all CD issues are without it too. The Japanese pressing is really nice and quiet, and the mix feels a bit hotter than what Milestone released. Would be nice to get a definitive version with all five tracks.

Telling that it did not show up on the Milestone box 30 years ago.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:38 AM, John L said:

A recording surfaced some time ago from a concert given the next day as the one on "In Japan."  But you probably knew that 

Re "some time ago", this material first came out in the 70s already...

Edited by Niko

Don’t know about any bootlegs specifically with the version of  “Dancing Mist” with Joe (although there were a couple CD boots with the entire Phillips/Fontana LP, but with no extra material as far as I know)…

…BUT, there was this obscure (legit) double-LP with just that one cut — and several other versions of the same tune (different bands) that came out in Japan only in 1971.

https://www.discogs.com/release/7535147-Masabumi-Kikuchi-All-About-Dancing-Mist

A friend of mine found it in the blogosphere somewhere a downloaded and burned me a copy — but the tune itself isn’t all that exciting, imho (iirc).

But afaik, this obscure double-LP is the only source of the extra “Dancing Mist” track.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Interesting thing about the "In Japan" album, it was 1st released in Japan under different title, "Henderson's Habiliment," which includes Black Narcissus that does not appear on western editions, but omits Out 'n In. 

Would be nice to see whole deal reissued. Funny the Japanese have not touched it even when their own top players are involved.

5 hours ago, sambrasa said:

Interesting thing about the "In Japan" album, it was 1st released in Japan under different title, "Henderson's Habiliment," which includes Black Narcissus that does not appear on western editions, but omits Out 'n In. 

Would be nice to see whole deal reissued. Funny the Japanese have not touched it even when their own top players are involved.

according to Lord they're the same track (Black Narcissus = Out 'n In)

Henderson's Habiliment : Joe Henderson Quartet : Joe Henderson (ts) Hideo Ichikawa (el-p) Kunimitsu Inaba (b) Motohiko Hino (d)
  Live "Junk Club", Tokyo, Japan, August 4, 1971
  'Round midnight (1) World (Jap)SMJX-10123, Milestone MSP9047
  Black narcissus [Out'n in]      -                          -
  Blue bossa (1)      -                          -
  Junk blues (1)      -                          -
Note: "Black Narcissus" as "Out 'n in" (a retitling of "In 'n out") on Milestone, OJC releases.
Milestone MSP9047 titled "Joe Henderson in Japan"; titles (1) are all edited on this release. This followed a pattern that the U.S. version aimed at keeping closer towards the usual 40 to 45 minutes per disk format of U.S. LPs, while the Japanese Victor release runs over 51 minutes long.
All above titles also on OJC CD1040-2 [CD], Milestone 8MCD-4413-2 [CD].
[H4564]Your CollectionAdd
Note: All above titles also on Jazz Door 12120 [CD] titled "Sunrise in Tokyo".
All above titles also on Philips (Jap)PHCE-4128 [CD] titled "Joe Henderson And Kikuchi Hino In Concert".

5 hours ago, sambrasa said:

Lot more prior discussion about these two, rare Japanese Henderson tracks — including my post about halfway down to a 3-hr radio show with an exact time index where to hear “Black Narcissus” — and the link seems to be active.  It was almost impossible to FF to the exact time index on my phone (iPhone).  But I remember when I first posted it, it was easier to get it to FF on my laptop — and even easier on my work PC (at the time), which brought it up in the windows media player.

(Just tried on my phone again, and it’s still impossible to FF any way other than in 10-second increments.)