AOTW September 3-9

Kyo

Hi there,

this is my first AOTW post. :) Looking through the previous AOTW threads I was quite surprised

that there's never been an Art Blakey discussion here before - it's about time that changed! :D

It would be hard to pick one of the many excellent Jazz Messengers albums, so I decided

to avoid having to make that choice and pick a true classic from earlier times instead.

B00005MIZ8.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00005MIZ9.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Recorded live at Birdland, NYC, February 21, 1954

Clifford Brown (tp)

Lou Donaldson (as)

Horace Silver (p)

Curly Russell (b)

Art Blakey (d)

Doesn't get much better than that! :tup

I'll post my more detailed thoughts on these two CDs - or three LPs if you will - later. It's not quite

September 3 yet, but this way you can reacquaint yourselves with this music before the discussion starts. :)

All the Best,

Michael (Kyo)

Edited by Kyo

I haven't played these for a while. Good time to dig them out.

Really accessible music. Wonderful announcements from Pee Wee. I love Blakey's intro where he says, "when these get too old, I'll get me some younger ones". (Or is that Cafe Bohemia?)

Out of the racks for listening tomorrow.

MG

I listened to this the other day - glad to be reminded to do so, since it's a while since I played it. What got me this time - it's often something different - was the short, boppy, "Lou's blues". I wonder why he never recorded it again as a leader.

He had already recorded it at his first Blue Note session in 1952 and recorded it again in 1959 ( for the "The Time Is Right" album) and once more in 1984 for a live album on Timeless Records.

I listened to this the other day - glad to be reminded to do so, since it's a while since I played it. What got me this time - it's often something different - was the short, boppy, "Lou's blues". I wonder why he never recorded it again as a leader.

He had already recorded it at his first Blue Note session in 1952 and recorded it again in 1959 ( for the "The Time Is Right" album) and once more in 1984 for a live album on Timeless Records.

I think these are different tunes. (Unless I noted the track number wrong!)

MG

The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I think these are different tunes. (Unless I noted the track number wrong!)

You're right, my mistake. These two are the same but the one on the Blakey album is a different tune.

Edited by Kyo

• 1 year later...

IMHO, 'Once in a While' is one of the great ballad performances, period. One bona fide genius of a player standing out in front of four very great ones.

I love this one too, but Dizzy Reece's version of said tune on "Soundin' Off" gets my vote as best all time version of this tune. If you haven't heard it, check it out as I think you'd love it.

IMHO, 'Once in a While' is one of the great ballad performances, period. One bona fide genius of a player standing out in front of four very great ones.

I love this one too, but Dizzy Reece's version of said tune on "Soundin' Off" gets my vote as best all time version of this tune. If you haven't heard it, check it out as I think you'd love it.

if you want to lead this thread off topic i am with you

discovered today that on dizzy's myspace page you can listen to full length sound samples of his new cd (recorded in 1968) Nirvana

http://myspace.com/dizzyreece

you can also buy it from cdbaby

http://cdbaby.com/cd/dizzyreece

besides on his blogspot page there is a nice radio show with tunes from for instance his rare album with john gimore and siegfried kessler...

http://dizzyreece.blogspot.com/