jazz standards we dont like

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is really considered a standard, but I really can't stomach 'Sunny'. No matter who plays it, I just think it's a corny tune. Maybe because it was a huge European hit for 70s disco group Boney M and I'm mostly familiar with that version.. just can't help but dislike that tune.

Try Roy Nathason's version on Sotto Voce. It's great!

...if we're talking pop tunes I'll nominate one that I had to play in high school, and is a turd that can't be polished- "Love Theme From Ice Castles". (a.k.a. "Through The Eyes Of Love")

(I just threw up in my mouth a little)

+

I think it's down to the performance. I can't think of any tune, whether standard or not, that someone couldn't take and make something of.

=

click here?? :huh:

:P

Well, maybe Albert Ayler? Or Ken Vandemark? Cecil?

Of course, there might not be much left of the song but...

MG

What?!? Four pages in and no mention of Cherokee? Man, I just don't get the appeal of that song. I've disliked it from the very start. I've been in discussion on this before and someone will rush to its defense saying, "But what about Clifford Brown's version or (fill in the blank's) version?" For me, it's the song, not how it's being performed.

It's funny, Cherokee was originally a very medium-tempo tune (when it was Charlie Barnet's theme song). During the bop era it became one of the main cutting-session burners, and that's where it seems to have stayed. For me, Cherokee is more interesting as a chord progression- not a particularly interesting melody IMHO. It's fun to blow on- one of those tunes that's probably more fun to play than to listen to, like many tunes from the bop era. Of course, if it's just the melody you dislike, there have been contrafacts written on the changes- KoKo, Harold's House of Jazz and others.

Not trying to change your mind or nothin'. ;)

I do like Clifford's version, BTW. :g

Edited by Free For All

I'll throw the "Wayne Shorter Book" in there as well as his tunes are the most abused by those who shouldn't be playing them. Only the best of the best I think can/could handle these sorts of tunes. Call a traditional standard, and the Wayne Brigade will usually roll their eyes.

So is this thread about "jazz standards we don't like" (as it's titled) or "jazz standards we may like but are overly played/frequently abused" (as per your and Rooster's posts)?

I hate to hear great tunes played badly (especially Wayne's- I hate when people play the wrong turnaround on Footprints, to name one example), but I still don't think that makes the tune undesirable (my original premise regarding all these threads).

You're saying you don't like any tunes in the Shorter "book"? Please clarify. :)

BTW, "The Wayne Brigade" LOL

I don't know if this is really considered a standard, but I really can't stomach 'Sunny'. No matter who plays it, I just think it's a corny tune. Maybe because it was a huge European hit for 70s disco group Boney M and I'm mostly familiar with that version.. just can't help but dislike that tune.

Try Roy Nathason's version on Sotto Voce. It's great!

IIRC, Sonny Criss handles it quite well on the album "Up, Up, & Away."

Not sure if this one's a standard, but it is on the new Sonny Stitt box and just drives me nuts.

It's called "If the Moon turns green" and is apparently by Paul Whiteman - (there may be another song that Billie did by the same name but that is different.)

This tune is wierdly off-kilter and doesn't seem to resolve comfortably - it's unconventional perhaps in structure and harmony, and it doesn't work for me.

Sorry if one or more of these has been mentioned above, but a couple that seem to me to come from the same place in song-writing purgatory: Jule Styne's "People," and Anthony Newley's "Who Can I Turn To?" Also, "Make Someone Happy."

rhey are indeed rubbish.

Well, in the right hands, I like all three of those. :mellow:

Sorry if one or more of these has been mentioned above, but a couple that seem to me to come from the same place in song-writing purgatory: Jule Styne's "People," and Anthony Newley's "Who Can I Turn To?" Also, "Make Someone Happy."

rhey are indeed rubbish.

Bill Evans' solo version of WCITT is beautiful*.

Frank Foster did a great arrangement of Make Someone Happy for Woody's band.

EDIT: *My mistake, I was thinking of Bill's solo version of "What Kind Of Fool Am I", but I expect that tune is in the same category as "Who Can I Turn To" for many people. ;)

Edited by Free For All

I guess one reason that it bothers me when people say "I don't like that tune regardless of who performs it"

is that people also will say "I don't like trombone (or whatever instrument), I don't care who's playing it", and that kind of close-minded attitude is a real drag.

I guess the premise of threads like this bothers me more than what specific tunes people do or don't like. I also dislike those "who's overrated" threads. Thankfully they don't appear here too often. :)

I guess one reason that it bothers me when people say "I don't like that tune regardless of who performs it"

is that people also will say "I don't like trombone (or whatever instrument), I don't care who's playing it", and that kind of close-minded attitude is a real drag.

I guess the premise of threads like this bothers me more than what specific tunes people do or don't like. I also dislike those "who's overrated" threads. Thankfully they don't appear here too often. :)

I'm with FFA...in the sense that it's not the tune...it's who's playing it. Sure we all have our favorites,ect. Mine seem to change over time. That's the great thing about music. One thing I know for sure is, that my favorite players...I like every tune :D they play on.

rhey are indeed rubbish.

Bill Evans' solo version of WCITT is beautiful*.

Frank Foster did a great arrangement of Make Someone Happy for Woody's band.

EDIT: *My mistake, I was thinking of Bill's solo version of "What Kind Of Fool Am I", but I expect that tune is in the same category as "Who Can I Turn To" for many people. ;)

i certainly agree with, and own, your assessment of bill's WCITT, but then, he and bley could play the phone book, and make it heavenly,.... and ella could sing it.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I'm with FFA...in the sense that it's not the tune...it's who's playing it. Sure we all have our favorites,ect. Mine seem to change over time. That's the great thing about music. One thing I know for sure is, that my favorite players...I like every tune :D they play on.

I stayed away from this thread because I didn't like the concept. I just checked it out for the hell of it and Soul Stream and FFA have it exactly right.

I stayed away from this thread because I didn't like the concept. I just checked it out for the hell of it and Soul Stream and FFA have it exactly right.

i hoped that more jazz standards would be noted, and not just pop standards