jazz standards we dont like

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is really considered a standard, but I really can't stomach 'Sunny'. No matter who plays it, I just think it's a corny tune. Maybe because it was a huge European hit for 70s disco group Boney M and I'm mostly familiar with that version.. just can't help but dislike that tune.

There's one that can go...

Hey, you guys sound like you're reading my set list from last night. :g I actually played Stella, Autumn Leaves, Rainbow, How High The Moon, Surrey With The Fringe On Top last night....and do quite often because I really love those songs..... So, ya'll don't come to my gig 'cause you'll hate it! :crazy:

(by the way...Summertime is just about the only tune I just can't stand. Except the way Trane plays it)

Edited by Soul Stream

(by the way...Summertime is just about the only tune I just can't stand. Except the way Trane plays it)

I've always thought that one of the hippest interpretations was the Wes Montgomery (M. Brothers, actually) version on World Pacific, which was recorded a year or two before Trane's. Released on the "Far Wes" CD.

Edited by Jim R

Satin Doll...

That one is a magnificent little composition for orchestra that loses something essential when reduced to a blowing vehicle.

It also helps none that almost everybody plays it just a little faster than Duke did. But Duke's tempo really allowed for the inner sax voicings (which are really pretty off-the-wall - and Gonsalves is playing lead!) to speak, and if you don't have those in there, why bother? Or so they seem to think...

I think this aspect of standards is under-recognized - not everything works in every context. I love Cole Porter's "Get Out of Town," especially the Clarke-Boland and Anita O'Day big band versions. But it's extremely tough to make it work as a solo piano or even a piano trio version, and very few pianists do the tune.

I have hateable and loveable version of about any standard mentioned here - I chose Stella because it's a tune I simply cannot relate to, no matter if I play it with some band, or hear it done by someone else - I find the changes and the melody soooo constructed, the words don't say much to me - just me, of course.

That said, I've rarely heard a version of "Blue Skies" that I've liked. Ditto "My Blue Heaven."

I like Cassandra Wilson's version of Blue Skies (on the recording of the same name). And Al Jarreau did an interesting version that I heard at the end of "Glengarry, Glen Ross".

My Blue Heaven? Is that considered a jazz standard? I've always thought of it as a pop tune, and if we're talking pop tunes I'll nominate one that I had to play in high school, and is a turd that can't be polished- "Love Theme From Ice Castles".

(I just threw up in my mouth a little)

And although it pains me to say it, when I'm out and about I'm starting to get more and more tired of hearing Monk tunes. I think there ought to be a two-year moratorium on...

Brilliant Corners

Epistrophy

Evidence

Well, You Needn't

And maybe everything Monk wrote. Give it a rest for a while, people.

I said much the same thing a few weeks back, and Chuck said he pitied me!

I chose Stella because.... I find the changes and the melody soooo constructed, the words don't say much to me - just me, of course.

I find the melody and harmonic structure of Stella to be extremely interesting and fresh. Tough tune to play, but a beautiful melody. Grant Green, Miles, Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt's versions are some of my favorites. Hank Mobley really makes it on GG's take.

Satin Doll...

Satin Doll was one of my mom's very favorite tunes, so it always leads me to good memories when I hear it. :)

But C-Jam Blues is an Ellington tune I could certainly do without. (Or at least when small combos perform it.)

My other two least favorite standards are...

Autumn Leaves

How High The Moon

And although it pains me to say it, when I'm out and about I'm starting to get more and more tired of hearing Monk tunes. I think there ought to be a two-year moratorium on...

Brilliant Corners

Epistrophy

Evidence

Well, You Needn't

Amen!

My Blue Heaven? Is that considered a jazz standard? I've always thought of it as a pop tune, and if we're talking pop tunes I'll nominate one that I had to play in high school, and is a turd that can't be polished- "Love Theme From Ice Castles".

Goddamn but that's funny! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

...if we're talking pop tunes I'll nominate one that I had to play in high school, and is a turd that can't be polished- "Love Theme From Ice Castles". (a.k.a. "Through The Eyes Of Love")

+

I think it's down to the performance. I can't think of any tune, whether standard or not, that someone couldn't take and make something of.

=

click here?? :huh:

:P

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Satin Doll...

Satin Doll was one of my mom's very favorite tunes, so it always leads me to good memories when I hear it. :)

But C-Jam Blues is an Ellington tune I could certainly do without. (Or at least when small combos perform it.)

My other two least favorite standards are...

Autumn Leaves

How High The Moon

Brilliant Corners

Epistrophy

Evidence

Well, You Needn't

Amen!

Thank you!!!!! :)

Brilliant Corners

Epistrophy

Evidence

Well, You Needn't

I said much the same thing a few weeks back, and Chuck said he pitied me!

He's said worse to me. Think of it as a right of passage!! :g

Where'd you say it?? (Link please - anyvbody??) I must've missed that thread, and would love to catch up with any conversation where that suggestion was made.