Upcoming Concord/Fantasy releases

Aggie87

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...from Musictap:

Good news from Fantasy Records is the upcoming release of a 3CD collection of Miles Davis music called Tune Up: The Early Prestige Sessions - 1951-1953. This 3CD set will be available on May 22 and will add beautifully to your already burgeoning Miles Davis collection. What do you think? I think yeah.

Pity it only goes up to 1953; I wonder how long we'll have to wait to get to the 1954-55 sessions?

...from Musictap:

Good news from Fantasy Records is the upcoming release of a 3CD collection of Miles Davis music called Tune Up: The Early Prestige Sessions - 1951-1953. This 3CD set will be available on May 22 and will add beautifully to your already burgeoning Miles Davis collection. What do you think? I think yeah.

Pity it only goes up to 1953; I wonder how long we'll have to wait to get to the 1954-55 sessions?

This material is out of copyright in Europe. I guess Fantasy will have to keep the price low in order to compete.

MG

This material is out of copyright in Europe. I guess Fantasy will have to keep the price low in order to compete.

They've done a great job on the prices so far on almost all of their historical sets. The 3 CD sets have had a $30 list price to date (Evans, Stitt) , so should be available for $20-25. And the other sized sets (Coltrane, Monk/Trane. Garland) have also had a $10/disc list price. The only exception I'm aware of is the Miles Quintet box with the newly licensed material on CD4. I think they're really doing a commendable job on their historical reissues so far, much better than we probably had any right to expect.

They've done a great job on the prices so far on almost all of their historical sets. The 3 CD sets have had a $30 list price to date (Evans, Stitt) , so should be available for $20-25. And the other sized sets (Coltrane, Monk/Trane. Garland) have also had a $10/disc list price. The only exception I'm aware of is the Miles Quintet box with the newly licensed material on CD4. I think they're really doing a commendable job on their historical reissues so far, much better than we probably had any right to expect.

I'm sure you're right. Actually, I meant Concord, not Fantasy - slip of the mind. This will be their first, won't it?

MG

I'm sure you're right. Actually, I meant Concord, not Fantasy - slip of the mind. This will be their first, won't it?

MG

I believe he was referring to Concord in his post.

I haven't been following the prices of boxed sets. Did Concord change the prices when they acquired Fantasy?

They have been releasing a whole new series of sets since they took over, reconfiguring Miles and Trane into smaller boxes, releasing the complete Prestige Bebop Stitt, the Complete VV Evans, the Complete Monk/Trane, The Complete Prelude Garland. All are beautifully done, and all except the Miles Quintet box incredibly low priced, list price of $10/CD. Check out their web site. I haven't checked to see if the old Fantasy boxes are still available, since I have what I want of those.

Edited by felser

I haven't been following the prices of boxed sets. Did Concord change the prices when they acquired Fantasy?

They have been releasing a whole new series of sets since they took over, reconfiguring Miles and Trane into smaller boxes, releasing the complete Prestige Bebop Stitt, the Complete VV Evans, the Complete Monk/Trane, The Complete Prelude Garland. All are beutifully done, and all except the Miles Quintet box incredibly low priced, list price of $10/CD. Check out their web site. I haven't checked to see if the old Fantasy boxes are still available, since I have what I want of those.

Thanks - I'd better check out the Garland.

MG

They have been releasing a whole new series of sets since they took over, reconfiguring Miles and Trane into smaller boxes, releasing the complete Prestige Bebop Stitt, the Complete VV Evans, the Complete Monk/Trane, The Complete Prelude Garland. All are beutifully done, and all except the Miles Quintet box incredibly low priced, list price of $10/CD. Check out their web site. I haven't checked to see if the old Fantasy boxes are still available, since I have what I want of those.

I completely forgot about (i.e. ignored) the Stitt box when it came out, but went back to check out what's on it. 75 tracks! Art Blakey, Jo Jones, JJ, a host of others! I'm getting this set! :tup

Alas, prizes for the Concord box over here are crazy, prob. double from what you describe here :(

Concord has always had bad distribution and exorbitant prizes over here, those two-in-one sets were prized like two full discs, for instance - I hope their Universal distribution deal at least makes the stuff easier to find now - good sign is kind of an OJC sale, if you call 9€/11$ a sale, for switzerland it is... anyway, all of these have the Universal logo on the traycard, the CDs themselves look slightly different (Universal inprint, too, instead of ZYX), while the paper of the booklets has become even thinner (US editions - mostly I know for Blue Note - use much better paper than you'll ever see over here, don't ask me why).

• 4 weeks later...

They have been releasing a whole new series of sets since they took over, reconfiguring Miles and Trane into smaller boxes, releasing the complete Prestige Bebop Stitt, the Complete VV Evans, the Complete Monk/Trane, The Complete Prelude Garland.

Looking through an old Concord catalog the other day, I realized that they have quite a number of older box sets that are out-of-date as far as remastering goes and mostly large and quite pricey, such as Monk and Evans' Riverside boxes, Trane's Prestige box, Eric Dolphy Prestige, Sonny Rollins, Prestige, etc. I'm really hoping that what we've seen with Trane (Fearless Leader plus two upcoming boxes) and Miles (Legendary Prestige Sessions, plus upcoming early Prestige box) will be just the tip of the iceberg in reconfiguring these box sets into smaller chunks, with better remastering and lower prices.

I'm really hoping that what we've seen with Trane (Fearless Leader plus two upcoming boxes) and Miles (Legendary Prestige Sessions, plus upcoming early Prestige box) will be just the tip of the iceberg in reconfiguring these box sets into smaller chunks, with better remastering and lower prices.

I'm sure it will be. It's the only business model that makes sense for them. Sonny Rollins and Monk can't be far behind. What are the two upcoming Trane boxes?

I'm really hoping that what we've seen with Trane (Fearless Leader plus two upcoming boxes) and Miles (Legendary Prestige Sessions, plus upcoming early Prestige box) will be just the tip of the iceberg in reconfiguring these box sets into smaller chunks, with better remastering and lower prices.

I'm sure it will be. It's the only business model that makes sense for them. Sonny Rollins and Monk can't be far behind. What are the two upcoming Trane boxes?

According to the Fearless Leader booklet, two more Prestige-era Trane boxes are due - one focusing on his albums as co-leader (w/ Burrell, Quinichette, etc.) and all-star jam sessions, and the other his sideman work. Combined with Fearless Leader, you'll have everything that was in the previous Coltrane Prestige box, albeit with improved remastering and in smaller, easier-to-digest chunks.

According to the Fearless Leader booklet, two more Prestige-era Trane boxes are due - one focusing on his albums as co-leader (w/ Burrell, Quinichette, etc.) and all-star jam sessions, and the other his sideman work. Combined with Fearless Leader, you'll have everything that was in the previous Coltrane Prestige box, albeit with improved remastering and in smaller, easier-to-digest chunks.

Thanks. That's a great way to handle it, though I could live without paying for yet another reissue of his stuff with Miles, since I have the Miles set already.

Thanks. That's a great way to handle it, though I could live without paying for yet another reissue of his stuff with Miles, since I have the Miles set already.

As with the previous Prestige box, the Miles stuff is not included.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

From musictap:

Fantasy Records will release the jazz title of Blue Soul from Blue Mitchell, scheduling the disc for March 4. Fantasy also plans Sextet in New York from Cannonball Adderley on the same date.

Concord Records will release The New Crystal Silence from Chick Corea and Gary Burton, with a release date of February 5.

far be it for me to give those racist bastards at concord any "props" (which means "respect") but i did notice mccoy tyner's "horizon" is now out on CD. this hasn't been out. i also notice people on this board don't really discuss interesting upcoming releases because i had no idea this or "children of forever" were being released recently. alan lankalin, where are you?

The last I saw Alan, at the Organissimo concert at the Philly Art Museum in January, he was putting a lot of his efforts into photography. His newsletter was a huge amount of effort. I give Concord props for putting out Horizon, and I bought it immediately, but that and the Trane box (which I also bought immediately) are the only even remotely interesting things they've done in quite a while. Otherwise, still getting the third go around of straight reissues of the same old titles, plus the usual comps (Grandson of Miles Plays for Lovers) which aren't meant for us.

Fantasy Records will release the jazz title of Blue Soul from Blue Mitchell, scheduling the disc for March 4. Fantasy also plans Sextet in New York from Cannonball Adderley on the same date.

:huh: ....yawn....zzzzzzzz

Agreed. Anyone who wants those has already been able to pick up them, since they have been available forever. How about reissuing albums that haven't been on CD before? In particular the Prestige catalogue is far from exhausted yet. There are several albums each by people like Gene Ammons, Shirley Scott, Willis Jackson, Don Patterson and Johnny "Hammond" Smith that they could reissue, perhaps on twofers, instead of those pointless 70s twofers they just did.

far be it for me to give those racist bastards at concord any "props" (which means "respect") but i did notice mccoy tyner's "horizon" is now out on CD. this hasn't been out. i also notice people on this board don't really discuss interesting upcoming releases because i had no idea this or "children of forever" were being released recently. alan lankalin, where are you?

"racist?" :blink: