Tal Farlow

Durium

I heard Tal live in a Chicago club in the early or mid-1980s, and, though it seems hard to believe, he was playing at a level that was beyond anything I'd heard from him on record -- and I've heard most of what there is. It was like Tatum on guitar, and not just in terms of speed -- the flow of consequential thought was almost beyond my ability to take it in.

Thanks. How is this later set with Tal?

f61997zhvt1.jpg

Tal is as good as ever so this would be reason enough for jazz guitar fanatics to get the record, but personally I find the accompaniment a bit too busy; on some tracks the piano and bass player seem to be saying "Hey, we're here too" too much.

But that's just my personal impression.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The Verve "Jazz Masters" Tal Farlow is a nice collection of Verve release highlights if you don't want to get the Mosaic set. Most of the individual Verve Tal albums are import only or not available.

Listening to this the other night and picked up on the connection between Tal and John McLaughlin - just listen to the way they both spin out lines of music in a similar fashion - AWESOME!

But maybe beyond the financial means of some, and beyond the limit of those who are not completists. ;)

Hey, wait a minute! What the hell's that supposed to mean, "not completists"?!?

Do you want me to feel bad again? Or let me know not everyone's as crazy as yours truly? :crazy:

Timely thread to pop up again, time to revisit that Mosaic!

In the meantime I also got "The Return of Tal Farlow" (zyx cardboard version from the zweitausendeins/zyx sale) and one of the Concords. Both fine, but nothing in there that he didn't already do during the years covered by the Mosaic. He didn't really evolve much, did he? Not that everybody has to go through various periods like Miles or Trane, but...

In the meantime I also got "The Return of Tal Farlow" (zyx cardboard version from the zweitausendeins/zyx sale) and one of the Concords. Both fine, but nothing in there that he didn't already do during the years covered by the Mosaic. He didn't really evolve much, did he? Not that everybody has to go through various periods like Miles or Trane, but...

What do you expect? Tal "evolving" in the sense of turning out glib, soft pop/funk pap like Messrs. Montgomery/Green/Benson? :D :D :D

For somebody who'd been virtually off the scene for over 10 years his "Return" album certainly showed he still had his chops totally intact, and the same goes for what I've heard of his Concords. No mean feat if you consider the high level he had achieved in the 50s.

(P.S. I prefer the Verves etc. from the 50s too)

As I said somewhere on this thread, Tal evolved like crazy in the '80s, though I don't think this was reflected on record. In particular, he heightened the fluidity of his playing (that is, lessened the sense of "attack" on most notes),and thus became, like, a third faster. More important (and this probably was the motive for the change), he was thinking a third faster too. At the level of Tatum at his best, almost beyond the ability of the mind to take it in.

I only have a small number of Tal Farlow recordings - the McGhee BN, a one disc compilation of the Fuersts, and The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow. I've thought about getting the Mosaic box, but The Swinging Guitar CD keeps putting me off from it. His playing, along with the rest of the group, has always sounded rushed to me, and listening to it makes me feel on edge and nervous. Same band on the Fuerst, and I like that one - go figure.

Anyone have a comment/opinion on Swinging Guitar in the context of the entire Mosaic?

Incidentally, Ed Diehl, a guitarist whom I have the highest respect for, and who these days is playing at a level far beyond his recordings with Hank Mobley and Jack McDuff, seemed seriously offended when I told him that I found it hard to get into Tal Farlow's playing. (I was speaking of Swinging Guitar.) Wrong thing for me to say - it seems that Tal Farlow was his strongest influence.

I can't find anything really wrong with "The Swinging Guitar" but maybe that's because I usually listen to it along with other of Tal's Verves and I take any differences (if there are any) just as differences that are bound to happen with human beings. But I'll listen closer next time and try to analyse a bit more ... ;)

The Fuerst sets are maybe not the ideal comparison, even if the lineup is the same. As you know after-hours private jam sessions are a setting that's not necessarily comparable with studio productions.

• 3 years later...

Just got this record:

51NCN33BTRL._AA240_.jpg

Tal Farlow Quartet.

i have this one too. and no need to go japanese, there was a (brilliant) connoisseur 10" series edition with howard mcghee vol 2 plus the mentioned quartet album on one cd, in 1998. i love this series. it's one of my alltime favourites. there are a lot of 10" albums reissued from the blue note 5000 series from around '55, when the switch from 10" to 12" was made.

and the sound is also good: it's a 20 bit SBM affair. or 24 bit? it also exists. i'm not sure now.

and of course i also have the mosaic box, which is wonderful!

• 1 year later...