In the queue

Dave James

I just placed an order for four CD's from Dusty Groove. After I hit the "buy" button, it occured to me that I probably have at least 20 CD's at home that I haven't even listened to. That begged the question, "why do you keep buying more music when you don't even listen to what you already have?" I'm hoping this sort of mildly neurotic behavior doesn't separate me too far from the rest of the pack. So, if you'd like to make Lonesome Dave feel a whole lot better about himself and his habit, you could let him know how many you have in your queue.

Also, along this same line, does there come a point where if you haven't listened to something new for so long it really becomes something old, i.e. it's actually possible that you might never listen to it at all? I know I'm putting some serious hurt on myself by admitting this, but that's actually happened to me. Anyone else?

Thanks in advance for your theraputic support.

Up over and out.

I have approximately 12 purchased CDs awaiting first hearings, plus another BIG box of burns totalling no fewer than 58! That actually completed a trade wherein I sent his requests back in the spring, but I told him to hold off on sending my requests because at the time I saw a bit of light at the end of the tunnel and I didn't wish to be awash in music so soon-I even put the turntable back on the main system so I could reacquaint myself with some vinyl. And, I've actually been shuttling CDs back and forth to work such that, since the spring, I've actually gone through the entire alphabet, choosing music I haven't heard in a while. Right now I've got a stack of Ben Webster on the desk, I anticipate getting through the rest of the alphabet by the middle of September.

So, even though I am feeling swamped again, I do feel pretty good about getting alot of "old" music back in the player. Too bad with a birthday and anniversary coming up next month, I'll be even more swamped before I even crack that big box o' burns!

Got a backup of about 25 sides of wax. For me, the records stack up quicker--living in a house in the middle of the city with a very narrow mailslot, I have stuff delivered to work. When CDs arrive, I rip those damn things open (can barely contain myself :excited: ) and jam them in my work computer. This has, however, prejudiced my initial reaction to some discs--hearing, say, Bob Belden's Black Dahlia (LOVE that record! :rlol ) for the first time on my P.C.'s 2" woofer/tweeter/midrange all in one MONO speaker was, uhhh...UNDERWHELMING. But it's my sanctuary to listen to vinyl at home, so when I go on a trip (Seattle, last) and get the hook up with some tasty sides (Midnight Blue first press mono $5.99! LeGrand Jazz first press mono $3.00! Pharaoah Sanders Elevation, $4.99!) they sometimes have to wait a while...

Peter

"Baby got backlog..."
:lol::lol:

My backlog has been reduced to under ten this week, although I'm sure that won't last long.

And I have a bigger problem -- I've only been seriously listening to jazz for a little over a year, and I've got quite a lot to catch up on! I'm finding there's *so* much good music out there, I don't even know where to start sometimes.

Speaking of neurotic behavior, I'm finding it very difficult to be anywhere near a music store without stopping in and picking up at least four or five discs. Unwrapping and playing a new jazz CD has become like a religious experience -- kind of reminds me of how some smokers make a huge production out of opening a new pack of cigarettes.

Judging by the reponses so far, it appears things can only get worse....

I have virtually no backlog, but I have another problem that might even be worse.

As soon as a pick up a disk, I listen to it. But I have way too many disks that I only listened to once after purchase. Browsing through my collection, I continually stumble on CDs that I hardly even remember, that I haven't played in 5-10 years. If I knew that I didn't like them, I would sell them. But I have no idea. :wub:

Edited by John L

Speaking of neurotic possesion... I hate going into a store for new or used CDs.. real or cyber.. and only finding one. Seems I have to buy two at least.

Must be weak willed and have no self esteem

Damn we could make a Jerry Springer out of this.

No listening backlog though.. now being retired, four systems in the house, and one in the car, they all get played soon after purchase.

I also have a bit of a guilt complex.. the ones who haven't been played for awhile demand their turn

BUT THEN

my plants tell me when they need water.........

Can't bend spoons yet.. but I did know Marcel Vogel.

Edited by P.D.

Here are a few rules-of-thumb that I've come up with (out of necessity) to keep the backlog down:

• Try to pay only cash for discs (or vinyl). It's amazing how this can curb an impulse shopping spree (or even a rational shopping spree).

• Go to Alan Lankin's site, and use it to help you create a list of future purchases.

• Try to stick to that list.

• Avoid teasing yourself by "browsing," either online or in a store. For me, "browsing" often eventually equates with "purchasing." Argh!

• Open some threads here with caution. For instance, why did I read the thread about 3 Columbia discs for $24 at Borders? Oh, I know: so I could have a reason to buy three new Thelonious Monk reissues. Argh!

• Visit your local library. It turns out my library has a few OOP discs that I've wanted, and now I finally can listen to them!

• Try to go on short "purchase droughts." Maybe, say, a month without any purchases. This can help in re-discovering your collection. One recent drought of mine helped me refamiliarize myself with Horace Tapscott, and how much I adore his music.

• Try to avoid a backlash from a "drought" — e.g. after a drought, multiple purchases of the artist you've just refamiliarized yourself with.

I'm not saying that I can always follow these rules (hell, I sometimes can hardly follow them at all), but they're at least there for me, in the middle of the night, when my veins cry out for their fix of certain reissues, and/or small label releases.

I'm down to less than 10 right now, which is quite an improvement for me. Last year it was around 50 (I ordered almost 40 CD's during the Tower sale last summer :rolleyes: ). I've been trying to only order new music when I REALLY want it, but then, I really want everything. I've just been feeling lately like I don't know the music in my collection well enough. When I was younger, I knew the names of all the songs on all my CD's, all the artists who played on them, etc. Now, I often can't remember the names of TWO of the songs on any given CD, and often only know the main performer and maybe one other person on the CD. That alone tells me I'm not spending enough time on my music.

I have a about 20 CDs to I haven't cracked open yet. I have another big box that got delivered to the drum studio about a week ago which I'm trying to wittle down one at a time. The big problem isn't really about the buying and listening ratio as much as it is "if I don't buy this now I'll never see it again', which has happened to many times. In the long run I find it better to bite the bullet and buy it now rather than pay double later. Eventually i get ariound to listening to it. However on rare occassions I've found something that is still wrapped from months before. Even those are great when you are short on bread and want something new to listen to.

Lps on the other hand just pile up. I have bought about 60 records in the last two months. Haven't yet been able to burn them yet! I'm still planning on scouring for vinyl this weekend.

As long as your not blowing hundreds of dollars you don't have and your getting your bills paid your O.K. ;)

I just took a count and found I had about 50 albums downloaded on my computer that deserve more than the one or two listenings they have received. I've been fairly successful at staying away from the record stores lately (the downloads are from my local library. Late, so that's where you hang out eh? One of these days I'm sure I'll run into you somewhere in town, there or at HofR). But some recent estate sales have swelled my vinyl collection with operas and other classical music that desperately need my attention. I've got another baby on the way so staying away from buying has become necessary, but painful. My wish list is getting longer every day.

Edited by Jad

I feel like my entire CD collection is one big backlog. It's more like a library....I don't feel I've ever given many of the CDs the attention they probably deserve. About once a year I'll go through and pull out stuff that's just not ever REALISTICALLY going to get listened to that much....then I go the the record store and consign them. Which is nice because it keeps a line of credit going at that place. So when I see something I can buy it on my accumulated credit.

All that said, I NEVER feel bad about buying a new BN reissue. Blue Notes are like diamonds :D

Couple comments in this area:

1. I try to limit my listening backlog to no more than 10 or so (the occasional large boxed set notwithstanding). Once it gets to that point, unless there's urgency (something I want going OOP), I slow down and catch up before buying more. Like many here, I keep them on a shelf for "new acquisitions" until I listen, so they don't get lost in the shuffle.

2. Like many, though, often I consider being "caught up" listening only once to a disc, which often of course is really not enough. So I'll also "flag" new CDs when I put them with the full collection by placing the discs pulled on the shelf a bit so they are easily spotted for the near future, where I listen again at least one more time and often more if something "grabs" me.

3. Up until recently, I prided myself on the fact that, with a collection of over 1600 titles and 2000+ actual discs, I had NEVER accidentally bought something that I already had. However, I have been gradually assembling a full collection of all the Bluebird Fats Waller reissues from the 90's (now all OOP) and, in my reluctance to pass on one that I thought I might have been missing, I unintentionally purchased a duplicate of FRACTIOUS FINGERING. Made me extra mad because I was about 90% sure I already had it, but I was shopping away from our home, my wife wasn't home for me to call to check on it, and these sets have been hard to track down so I wanted to be sure I didn't miss out. Streak ended! <_<

I have no idea about the backlog number for me, but it's probably pretty big.

I try to listen to a new purchase several times before dropping it for something else; well that is after the first introductory quick spin which all get.

My wife plays the piano and I cannot put on the stereo while she's thumping away. Well I could but I wouldn't hear anything if I did. I listen mostly in my car and down in the basement. My purchases have slowed down, but these new BN reissues do not help.

I keep telling myself that I'm close to the end of the buying road, but I never quite reach it. My collection of 500-600 is modest by probably everyone's standards on this board, but it is already enough I think. Well, maybe 50 more! :g

If you are really strapped for time and don't need Hi end quality for every listening, try this. One thing that I found that works well for me is waking up to a CD on a CD alarm clock. Definately LoFi at its lowest point, but I usually leave it in for a week and get to listen to it 5 to 7 times. I make the decision based whether or not I really like the CD in the first place. If I do, then I play it for wake up music. I used to like to burn a copy or dub a tape for the car. Then again, a favorate Blue Note might be in the car tape deck for 2 weeks before I change it, so the same ones still get played over and over. :huh:

Here are a few rules-of-thumb that I've come up with (out of necessity) to keep the backlog down:

Back in September of last year I adopted two rules: purchase no more than 5 CDs a month, and listen to no more than 8 CDs a month (2 a week). I've broken the first quite a few times, but together they've kept my new acquisitions at a manageable scale. It allows me to give each pair of CDs a week to digest before moving on to the next pair. I'm trying to cut down the listening a bit further, but with a couple of burns coming in this month, it might not happen for a while. :) Whoever suggested just *stopping* for a month or two -- I haven't tried it yet but it is a great idea.

Occasionally I get the feeling that I "must acquire this recording immediately". I try to sit on this thought for a couple of days, maybe a week, and usually this feeling wears off.

I think it's also a good idea to avoid completist binges. It's very easy to pick up a bunch of CDs by one artist you are temporarily "high" on and then, a few weeks later, regret that you didn't diversify your spending a bit. I find that even with the best musicians, diminishing returns can hit pretty quickly. Try to buy no more than 2 CDs by the same artist in a month. If that doesn't sate your appetite, you can always get more the following month.

Finally, *in general* avoid medium (5-8) and large (9+) box sets. There are many, many exceptions, but these are the kinds of things that create overwhelming backlogs. They are also a quick path to acquiring recordings that you wouldn't otherwise bother with -- this is not a good way of allocating your money & listening time. When I listen to these for the first time, I try to spread them out to only a few CDs a month rather than taking it all in at once (hard thing to resist). Intersperse it with other new music if you can, it will keep the box set material fresh.