Bobby Hutcherson - Patterns - should I spring?

Dmitry

I thought I had it on one of those ugly 70s BN un-released sessions LPs, but it appears I do not.

Yo! I made the same mistake. Come to find out that what I had was the MEDINA stuff, not this. But all's well that ends well. I got one online last year. Not the VERY best work by any of these players, but good enough to own and listen to more than once, that's for sure.

It's essential. I like the subsequent albums with Land a little better, but it sounds like you don't need any more encouragement to get it. One of the early connoisseurs that was much-needed.

Very enjoyable album. All the BN Hutchersons are great.

I like James's flute work a lot, and it makes him much more versatile on a session than just another alto player - though his alto work is excellent and he could have gotten by with just that. On flute, he's not just one of those sax players who picked the instrument up casually but didn't really master it. This guy really plays it well, with good tone and intonation.

I would agree with Shrdlu's assessment of Spaulding's flute work - quite strong.

I love PATTERNS. It has a wonderfully melancholy, dark undertow (more so than just about any Bobby Hutcherson album of the period) - partly due to the recording, partly due to the songs, and especially due to Stanley Cowell's piano voicings. Everyone plays well, and the songs are truly memorable in all cases. I agree everyone played better solos at some point in their career, but this album sets a wonderful mood and sustains it, with expert pacing and as indicated by someone else above, a real democratic approach.