Upcoming 8 CD Duke Ellington box (40s)

EKE BBB

VERY GLAD you decided to get that and did.

Well, there's the two cd OKEH recordings from Columbia, a good way to get a large chunk of essential sides. . . .

Too bad that the Masters of Jazz series has become defunct and so hard to find. . . that's an avenue I wish I could go . . . and I'd recommend if they were in print.

I had been listening to the Victor box for a few weeks and really loving it... but to hear the Brunswick/Vocalion recordings of pieces like The Mooche and Black and Tan Fantasy today was incredible.

I'll look into those other titles. Thanks again for your help!

Edited by alppila

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the way I chose to go, too... the 24 CD Centennial box, the 2CD Okeh, the 3CD RCA/Brunswick, then (stoopid me, just when the latest Mosaic was announced..) the 2 volumes (2CD each) of Small Group sessions on Columbia/Legacy (not remastered/old remasters, like the Okeh, in case it matters).

I still wonder: how much of the 40CD set does one miss this way. Or asked another way 'round: which of the Classics would one have to hunt for to fill the gaps? It's pretty hard to find substantial information about what's on the Classics CDs!

No sign yet of my Storyville box, by the way, but it ought to ship between today and a week from now, or so the French Amazon page says.

There was an article about this Ellington set by Nat Hentoff in yesterday's Wall Street Journal (Wed, March 28.) In it he said he talked to one of the people in charge of Storyville and they're planning on putting out a Ben Webster box. I'd be interested in that!

I have the Victor material too but the rest of the early Ellington recordings seem pretty daunting to collect... a dubious 40 CD boxed set or numerous OOP Chronological Classics. Is there an easier way?

If any of you can read Spanish, our own EKE BBB is working on a guide to the Ellington recordings here

This is the intro, and this the first part, 1924-31.

More soon,

F

I still wonder: how much of the 40CD set does one miss this way. Or asked another way 'round: which of the Classics would one have to hunt for to fill the gaps? It's pretty hard to find substantial information about what's on the Classics CDs!

Not counting the early Pathe titles, the Columbia/Brunswick/Master titles (not counting alternates and the small group stuff on Mosaic) runs to 7 cds. I have the Classics and deleted the small group stuff for some cdrs and have 7 discs (180 titles) covering 1931-1940.

The Pathe titles were included in the French lp series but will probably be excluded in the future Mosaic box.

Not counting the early Pathe titles, the Columbia/Brunswick/Master titles (not counting alternates and the small group stuff on Mosaic) runs to 7 cds. I have the Classics and deleted the small group stuff for some cdrs and have 7 discs (180 titles) covering 1931-1940.

The Pathe titles were included in the French lp series but will probably be excluded in the future Mosaic box.

Thanks for the info, Chuck... I'll just keep looking for anything including material I don't yet have I guess. It's probably difficult to have the full run of early Ellington without ending up with a number of duplicates...

My Storyville box just shipped, finally... won't be there to listen to it when it arrives, but I'm still looking forward to the day I'll have it in my hands!

I'd like to hear more about the Pathe titles. When were they recorded? Circumstances? Was this Duke's 1933 European tour? I have an old Prestige LP with four titles recorded, it says, for British Columbia, in December of that year. Same? Different?

This is the kind of stuff I love to read about here!

I'd like to hear more about the Pathe titles. When were they recorded? Circumstances? Was this Duke's 1933 European tour? I have an old Prestige LP with four titles recorded, it says, for British Columbia, in December of that year. Same? Different?

You will find details about the Pathe sessions here!

Click on Sessions and go to 24-29.

The Pathe sessions include the March 8, and December 5, 1928 dates plus the March 18, April 29 and September 10, 1929 dates.

Awesome site that Duke Ellington Panorama!

You will find details about the Pathe sessions here!

Click on Sessions and go to 24-29.

The Pathe sessions include the March 8, and December 5, 1928 dates plus the March 18, April 29 and September 10, 1929 dates.

Awesome site that Duke Ellington Panorama!

Thanks Brownie! Cool site!

• 1 year later...

#1 will always be the RCA Victor studio recordings, but for half the price you can't really go wrong with this set. The main complaint for Ellington collectors was not the material itself, which is mostly well-recorded, includes many tracks not commercially recorded and allows the band to stretch out for longer than on the studio recordings, but rather that it duplicates what many already have bought on individual releases. If you don't have anything of it, that's obviously not a problem in your case.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...