Mosaic Contemporary

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems George Benson's Good King Bad will be among the first Mosaic Contemporary releases in early April. That's great as I've been trying to hunt down an affordable copy of the 1989 CD edition for quite some time! :)

Let's hope they also release some of the CTI stuff that's never been on CD!

Is the Mosaic going to be the same as the 1989 edition?

MG

Well, the good news is they are also reissuing Joe Zawinul's Zawinul -- I've never heard that one.

Am I missing some kind of irony here? It's still easily available from Warner - since 1988...

OOP in the US.

Guy

What kind of a business plan can Mosaic have for this? It's nuts. You can get it from Amazon.co.uk new for £4.97 about $10 plus post. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zawinul-Joe/dp/B00...5279&sr=8-5

Mosaic of all companies realises that it's in an international market?

MG

Well, the good news is they are also reissuing Joe Zawinul's Zawinul -- I've never heard that one.

Am I missing some kind of irony here? It's still easily available from Warner - since 1988...

OOP in the US.

Guy

What kind of a business plan can Mosaic have for this? It's nuts. You can get it from Amazon.co.uk new for £4.97 about $10 plus post. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zawinul-Joe/dp/B00...5279&sr=8-5

Mosaic of all companies realises that it's in an international market?

MG

see below...

OOP in the US.

Guy

merikins expect us to buy everything from the US but don't look no further to get "Zawinul"... their loss, I say! :g

It's all so weird. Right now on cduniverse you can preorder the Mosaic/Contemporary, or you can buy the Atlantic cd (import? doesn't say) for a dollar less.

Hah! I'm not in the market for either version of this one. And there's a second hand copy of "Bad Benson" in Cardiff, which I'll pick up next time I'm in town. :D

MG

waitwa iwatwaiwtawiawt i thought mosaiic contemporary was going to issue new recordings by classic artists-- eg the new charles toliver, etc--- they are also going to reissue single issue CTI albums?!?!?

obviously mosaic COMPLETELY SOLD OUT with EMI in order to get their jazz box set rights and now they have to suffer by becomming EMIs little bitch.

mosaic is compeletly screwed. they are like a junkie who keeps thinking that the next fix will be the last. first its mosaics, then mosiac selects, then those mosaic single issues, and now this quagmire of a shitpile.

if michael cuscana shaved his beard and numbered each hair in a little box would you all buy one of a few of them?

I have no idea whether the "contemporary" stuff will sell, but presumably they're not doing this on a wild guess. In any case I don't see how it can hurt their box and Select sales. Who will stop buying those just because they don't like Mosaic Contemporary? Can I see a show of hands?

I have no idea whether the "contemporary" stuff will sell, but presumably they're not doing this on a wild guess. In any case I don't see how it can hurt their box and Select sales. Who will stop buying those just because they don't like Mosaic Contemporary? Can I see a show of hands?

Well I for one won't buy a damn thing if Cuscuna shaves off his beard...

Well I for one won't buy a damn thing if Cuscuna shaves off his beard...

I didn't know he had a beard. How could anyone with a beard produce Cornell Dupree's "Teasin'"? Or perhaps he wasn't old enough for a beard in 1974...

MG

....I think this is someone with money paying Mosaic for the use of the name....

I don't understand this . What possible cachet could the Mosaic brand have for someone interested in Earl Klugh or Alex Bugnon ?? I mean , if Mosaic was a purveyor of bottled water or organic food or some other 'lifestyle' product then maybe , but this branding strategy makes no sense whatsoever .

Mosaic's press release states that their mission is , " to fill a vacuum where the established recording industry is lax " . An Amazon search for Earl Klugh yields 96 results , including a two-volume 'best-of' compilation . Also notable is that the resale value of some of these titles is in the one or two dollar range ! So in the case of Klugh at least , we have a market that is already well-served , and with a secondary market exerting extreme downward pressure on new-issue price points .

Seems to me like a poorly thought-out venture born of financial necessity .

....I think this is someone with money paying Mosaic for the use of the name....

I don't understand this . What possible cachet could the Mosaic brand have for someone interested in Earl Klugh or Alex Bugnon ??

Mosaic provides access to the "major labels" for "product".

The label name also carries the "quality" label for a small segment of the audience and that is worth something.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

One man's Boone's Farm is another Chateau Lafitte Rothschild (or however it's spelled, it's out of my price range, in any case).

The offerings on Mosaic Contemporary will be like Boone's Farm to me; I've never heard a smooth jazz release that merited playing on my stereo.

And three laughs at the hapless writer who described David Sanborn as "one of the greatest saxophonists of all time" in the very uneven Legends of Jazz boxed set.

I don't understand this . What possible cachet could the Mosaic brand have for someone interested in Earl Klugh or Alex Bugnon ?? I mean , if Mosaic was a purveyor of bottled water or organic food or some other 'lifestyle' product then maybe , but this branding strategy makes no sense whatsoever .

Mosaic's press release states that their mission is , " to fill a vacuum where the established recording industry is lax " . An Amazon search for Earl Klugh yields 96 results , including a two-volume 'best-of' compilation . Also notable is that the resale value of some of these titles is in the one or two dollar range ! So in the case of Klugh at least , we have a market that is already well-served , and with a secondary market exerting extreme downward pressure on new-issue price points .

Seems to me like a poorly thought-out venture born of financial necessity .

Maybe instead of Klugh/Bugnon (on the labels) the music will actually be Braxton Aristas or Strata East sides - Mosaic's way of slipping the good stuff out there under the guise of smooth jazz. :g